Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we all think the world about our dogs. The smiles they give us when we come home, or how they still love to sit in our laps (even though they're fully grown): but if someone had to ask you what was so special about your dog, what would you say?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rico is the most laid back pup Ive ever come across. We took him camping and fishing this past weekend, he sat and watched,the only bark he let out was to get outta his crate to " do his business " .... He would stop and sit when something cought his eye on his walks, and the boaters going by on the lake were odd to see. He seemes content to absorb life as it passes by.

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
my favorite thing about Odin is his calm gentle side. some mornings i just sit on the couch and he comes up and lays next to me and burries his nose in the blankets. hes such a sweetheart :D

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Well I get this questions a lot, what is so special about your breed that you cant get from another? WHY take a risk? I then say and animal is a risk. I tell them my boy will go walk with me for 20 miles and still keep going if I asked him too. he will not leave the side of my 5 year old niece when she comes to visit hoping for dropped crumbs and a tossed ball. He helped my 92 year old grandmother up the stairs while being so careful she didn't lose her balance, he sat on the couch with me for days when I was sick. 9 times out of 10 times with the biggest grin on his face with a goofy tongue hanging out. He will do anything I ask and knows what I expect from him. I know my dog isn't special, his "breed" is.

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
Well I get this questions a lot, what is so special about your breed that you cant get from another? WHY take a risk? I then say and animal is a risk. I tell them my boy will go walk with me for 20 miles and still keep going if I asked him too. he will not leave the side of my 5 year old niece when she comes to visit hoping for dropped crumbs and a tossed ball. He helped my 92 year old grandmother up the stairs while being so careful she didn't lose her balance, he sat on the couch with me for days when I was sick. 9 times out of 10 times with the biggest grin on his face with a goofy tongue hanging out. He will do anything I ask and knows what I expect from him. I know my dog isn't special, his "breed" is.
:goodpost: not to change the subject but this brings me back to why i wanted a "pit bull"... My BFs sister asked me why i had my heart set on a pit bull. i told her my ex had an AmStaff/Pit mix that i fell in love with and i want a dog like her. gentle, obedient, faithful, loyal, goofy, couragous and loving. his sister simply answered "and u expect all that from a pit bull" i didnt answer her and now i dont need to. Odin is everything i was looking for in a dog. so again, what Ames said. its not really the dog, its the "breed". ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bentley is wonderful with special needs children. He's usually very hyper and rough while playing, but around children with disabilities he transforms in to a totally different dog. My dad's friend has a daughter that has a mental disability and she came over and he was SO gentle. He played with her for two hours straight! He'd also go up behind her and lick her on the ear and she'd laugh like crazy. So adorable. That's my favorite thing about him.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
:goodpost: not to change the subject but this brings me back to why i wanted a "pit bull"... My BFs sister asked me why i had my heart set on a pit bull. i told her my ex had an AmStaff/Pit mix that i fell in love with and i want a dog like her. gentle, obedient, faithful, loyal, goofy, couragous and loving. his sister simply answered "and u expect all that from a pit bull" i didnt answer her and now i dont need to. Odin is everything i was looking for in a dog. so again, what Ames said. its not really the dog, its the "breed". ;)
exactly, until people know one they wont get it. :)

Bentley is wonderful with special needs children. He's usually very hyper and rough while playing, but around children with disabilities he transforms in to a totally different dog. My dad's friend has a daughter that has a mental disability and she came over and he was SO gentle. He played with her for two hours straight! He'd also go up behind her and lick her on the ear and she'd laugh like crazy. So adorable. That's my favorite thing about him.
I think that is awesome! These pups are so smart, I swear my boy knows how to play with a 3 year old to a 7 year old to a 15 year old, he can totally tell how hard he can tug or if he doesn't want to give the ball right away cause he knows the little ones will chase him around for it, lol, he loves chase.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all your replies. That is the reason I opened this thread-
One of my very first posts on this forum (before I even got my pup), was asking how he would be aropund children. Since then, Ty has surprised me more and more.

The other day I went out and had to leave my baby at home with the housekeeper- while I was out, she went to go hang up washing and left my daughter standing by the gate (where she can see her of course). Well, Tyson didn't like this and refused to budge from the gate until the housekeeper was back inside with my baby in her arms.

This is just one of the many instances I could mention, but the bottom line is my pitbull is the best dog around ALL my children. I couldn't ask for a more loving, more eager to please pup.

And Ames, you are def right- its not just the dog: its the breed!!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
How smart she is. Not movie/trick dog smart, but like she is another person and fully understands everything said to her.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol, that is so cute. I sometimes wish my boy were just a teensy bit smarter, but then he looks at me with his big goofball face, and I realise there's not a thing about him that I would change.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Since we do dogs sports and go out to expos a lot I'm always asked these kinds of questions. I'm asked quite a lot why I would own such a "dangerous" breed lol. I always tell people, any breed of dog can be dangerous or aggressive. It's not a breed spacific thing. In reality this is one of the most gentle, loyal, and amazingly intelligent breeds there is. They are extremely tolerant of young children. They don't mind the ear and tail pulling as long as they're getting some attention. :) my son, who is 4, is so attached to my dog and he's the same way. He loves my boy to death. I'd Never ever worry about him hurting my son.
Another thing I do is try to educate people who are so misinformed. Explaining the dog bite stats does help people understand some times.
When people talk about the media and "pit bull" attacks I always try to explain it as simply as possible. The bite stats are suppose to go by breed, such as GDS, Chow, Lab ect... But when it comes to "pit bull" they lump multiple breeds together instead of separating them as they should be. Of course the bite stats are high for "pit bulls" when they put AmStaff, AmBully, Cane Corso, Bull Mastiff, American Bulldogs, Alapha Blue Bloods, the list continues. All these are separate breeds of dog and are not APBTs yet they classify them as such. If you take 15+ breeds and add the bite stats together of course there will be more bites there compaired to only one other breed. It's stupid and this crap has cause our dogs to appear vicious and dangerous. Not many people know they do this, they just assume these stats are correct when they are not. If all the Bull breeds were properly catagorized and labeled as their correct breed the change in the stats would be overwhelming.

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
Since we do dogs sports and go out to expos a lot I'm always asked these kinds of questions. I'm asked quite a lot why I would own such a "dangerous" breed lol. I always tell people, any breed of dog can be dangerous or aggressive. It's not a breed spacific thing. In reality this is one of the most gentle, loyal, and amazingly intelligent breeds there is. They are extremely tolerant of young children. They don't mind the ear and tail pulling as long as they're getting some attention. :) my son, who is 4, is so attached to my dog and he's the same way. He loves my boy to death. I'd Never ever worry about him hurting my son.
Another thing I do is try to educate people who are so misinformed. Explaining the dog bite stats does help people understand some times.
When people talk about the media and "pit bull" attacks I always try to explain it as simply as possible. The bite stats are suppose to go by breed, such as GDS, Chow, Lab ect... But when it comes to "pit bull" they lump multiple breeds together instead of separating them as they should be. Of course the bite stats are high for "pit bulls" when they put AmStaff, AmBully, Cane Corso, Bull Mastiff, American Bulldogs, Alapha Blue Bloods, the list continues. All these are separate breeds of dog and are not APBTs yet they classify them as such. If you take 15+ breeds and add the bite stats together of course there will be more bites there compaired to only one other breed. It's stupid and this crap has cause our dogs to appear vicious and dangerous. Not many people know they do this, they just assume these stats are correct when they are not. If all the Bull breeds were properly catagorized and labeled as their correct breed the change in the stats would be overwhelming.
:goodpost: i was just trying to explain this to a co-worker yesterday. he still didnt believe me though. he thinks breed specific rules are adequate. not that he is for them, he just understands the reasoning. but i keep trying to proove my point :stick:

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Yea it's seriously irritating and I'm pretty sick of people acting like my dog is evil because they are blind to what is actually going on.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unfortunately, there is so much bad press out there that it makes it difficult for the genereal public to fully understand. The first question I asked the breeders of my dog was how their pits were around kids. I think it takes owning one of these dogs to comprehend how much they love their 'humans' and how they aim to please their 'people'.
But it would also take someone to let go of their unfounded prejudices long enough to give this breed a chance.

Personally I don't know which is worse- a dumb idiot who is so biased they would rather ban the breed; or someone who doesn't understand the true nature of a pit bull, bully or bull dog, and buys one anyway only to do harm to the reputation of the breed.

Maybe one day, the general public will sit up and take notice of the many good qualities our dogs have- and at the same time read up about the breed from a better source than the sensationalised, uneducated stories from reporters who are just trying to create a hype to sell their papers.

·
Common Sense Expert
699 Posts
what i love most about my boys is that they love me no matter what they're true friends and i can always count on them for a good laugh whether it's sam bumping his clumsy self into my car or jojo bunny hopping over everything while "hunting" for rabbits

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
Versatility... not just in the various things she does, but in the smarts she shows in going about her everyday business.

example: If we walk into Petsmart.. she's a bit hyped up, wanting to say hi to everyone, and jumps up to put her paws on the checkout counter every time. Same goes for Tractor Supply, Lowes, etc. But if we go to a therapy visit, especially the 2nd or 3rd time at the same place, she acts like a perfect lady, calmly being a happy little pittie. She "works the room," and will make sure everyone there has a chance to say hi to her, and I've noticed her spending more time with select individuals who seem to need it most. ...
Then, I can take her right out to the dock afterwards, and she's a banshee, barking, hollering, and acting a fool. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Besides his smile I love how he makes a sad face when he knows hes in trouble and how he crawls on his belly thinking I'm not paying attention to him when he tries to sneak off or get something. Also love how he is so vocal and loves to try to talk to people with his different barks and etc but will not bark all night long.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One thing these dogs definitely don't lack is character- that's for certain!!!
My boy is always up for fun and games, but if he sees I"m a little tired or sees that I just want to chill, he's content to just sit his big butt down and lay over my lap and do nothing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
my 11 year old super healthy pup

that passed suddenly last month, had a wonderful association with people. not once (as in NEVER) did she ever bark at the front door. whether at home or in public, i could let anyone greet her without worrying a bit how she'd react to them. i expect the same love of people from my next pup. the cutest thing was when she'd sit and let a new friend say hello, then turn back and look at me. not sure what that was all about, but it was precious :). that girl was a GOOD dog :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So sorry for your loss. Its really tough to lose such a big part of our hearts and lives. Your girl sounds like she was wonderful, and I really hope you find another great dog.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts