Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What king of Leashes are you guys using for your dogs? I was just checking out StillWater Kennels and going to buy collars or Harnesses from there but what leashes are good?

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I just use a normal nylon leash.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
What king of Leashes are you guys using for your dogs? I was just checking out StillWater Kennels and going to buy collars or Harnesses from there but what leashes are good?
Well the material is ultimately up to you. Some people swear by nylon, and some by leather. I personally like leather, but have some nylon stuff. I would AVOID having your dog on a chain lead because not only are they bulky and hard to handle, but they do bring about a lot of negative attention.

As far as buying harnesses... I would stick to mastering a collar and making sure that obedience training is at least started. A lot of people are quick to "jump" on getting harnesses or correction collars, when a lot of it is lack of training and consistency.

Stillwater does produce quality merchandise. I think you'd be happy with anything from that site. Good luck, let us know what you chose and be sure to take pics!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O For Sure.. The only reason for a Harness is because i was letting them pull me on my skateboard yesterday! LOL! I hope I wasnt choking them or her actually...but again a harness may not be necessary since I dont skateboard hardly at all, that was just a 1 time deal really...I like the Collars anyway, the thick Nylon ones...Not a big person on chains either

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Well Vendetta has a flexi, a nylon leash and a leather leash depending on what we are doing. I use the flexi at class as she can go ou and I can direct her back easier. I walk her either the nylon or leather depending on which collar she has on. My girl has to cordinate.

I also just made a long line out of nylon rope that holds up to 330#. It is 100 ft so I can play fetch and work on her listening with distraction around. Her re-call needs to 100% for the flyball tournament the end of Aug.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i have a couple of different leashes and collars. Nice leather one for going out, and a couple nylon ones for working out or getting dirty.

·
Registered
319 Posts
just plain nylon or a leather one....imo its not what its made of but how strong it really is...i used the nylon because i like throwing them in water

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
nylon leashes are the best. leather is unessecary. nylon is inexpensive and works just as good as a leather leash

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
nylon leashes are the best. leather is unessecary. nylon is inexpensive and works just as good as a leather leash
see why we gotta go with this best stuff hahaha jk thaim

but really IMO even though nylon doesnt stretch like leather, it is harder on your hands, and if your dog pulls your leash through your hand really abruptly, leather won't hurt as bad as nylon.

If you find a place that is reasonable, you will find that the leather leads and collars are not too much more than the nylon collars and leashed. To each his own..

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've always gone with nylon leashes and collars. They work great for me and I've never had a problem with them hurting my hand like I've seen others say. Plus they are pretty inexpensive especially when you have dogs like mine that like to chew collars off of each other inexpensive in always good:)

·
Banned
714 Posts
Well the material is ultimately up to you. Some people swear by nylon, and some by leather. I personally like leather, but have some nylon stuff. I would AVOID having your dog on a chain lead because not only are they bulky and hard to handle, but they do bring about a lot of negative attention.

As far as buying harnesses... I would stick to mastering a collar and making sure that obedience training is at least started. A lot of people are quick to "jump" on getting harnesses or correction collars, when a lot of it is lack of training and consistency.

Stillwater does produce quality merchandise. I think you'd be happy with anything from that site. Good luck, let us know what you chose and be sure to take pics!
i agree with u OZZY when u have a chain leash ppl think negative and plus if u want to wrap it around ur hand to make it shorter while ppl are walkin by u, it will hurt the hell out of ur hand.....i have a Leather leash and a nylon....

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
i agree with u OZZY when u have a chain leash ppl think negative and plus if u want to wrap it around ur hand to make it shorter while ppl are walkin by u, it will hurt the hell out of ur hand.....i have a Leather leash and a nylon....
I think if you don't have a really big preference, kinglion, to invest in one of each. Then you can have one for one occasion, and one for another.

And Cass.. My pup chewed on his leash for about 10 seconds one time. Rubbed a bit of bitter apple he has never since tried to chew.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
i have a leather and a nylon one....i switch off but i like how light the nylon one is and i can let max drag it sometimes.
Nice. I use a plain nylon with his choke for training and our obedience walks..

When we're out showin his lil muscular butt off, we use the leather.

·
GoPitBull/facebook Admin
647 Posts
i have both nylon and leather. I prefer the nylon because its so light and i can let max drag it sometimes. Better yet go green! Get a cotton leash. My 30' training lead is cotton and super soft!

·
GoPitBull/facebook Admin
647 Posts
Nice. I use a plain nylon with his choke for training and our obedience walks..

When we're out showin his lil muscular butt off, we use the leather.
haha my bad i deleted teh first post because i posted the same thing twice :hammer: i didnt see the first one show up :roll:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts