Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i was at work showing pics of my beautiful pits and some guy that i try to ignore said something that made me think. He said you should get your male to breed with a bully female. Originally i told him thats not exactly what im looking to do im looking to better the breed with a well tempermented well behaved family pit. Im not breeding just on pure massiveness that brings nothing to the table for the breed. But then i was thinking what in the heck that would look like? Has anyone seen anyone do this or a breeding of a mix like this????

·
Registered
816 Posts
gonna look in between an APBT and a bully ....lol... i mean i know it sounds retarded but its really that simple. all you are basically doing is dilluting the bulldog more out of the next generation and so forth.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so its not like something ridiculous then? would u get a mix of bully and regular APBT? i wonder if the ABPT would be a bit broader and bigger boned

·
Registered
816 Posts
I wouldnt presume to know but its the logical outcome. what you need to realize is that what makes the APBT the best dog on earth isnt how badass he looks....its the love, devotion, tenacity, joy for life and all those other qualities that we absolutely adore in our dogs......why would u possibly want to bleed any of that off to make him look bigger and tougher.... we are all after big heads, broad shoulders, good conformation etc etc etc ....how about go after a dog that is a perfect companion and family member.....or the most competitive dog out there, ..... so many other levels beyond that "killer" look that so many chase.

your questions are valid...if you indeed are considering doing this think about what is more important for the dog.... that he look good or that he be good.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I'm not considering it at all like I said in my first post it wodnt be for the betterment of the breed I was just wondering what the pups would look like

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
You will end up with pups who dont conform to Bully standards may be to lean and not bully enough yet also wont conform to APBT standards will most likely be to bully or thick for there liking. If your goal is to better the breed this is not the way to do it, I dont see anything good out of it. People who want bullys want exactly that those that want APBT want that noone will want a mix. And a APBT x bully is just as much a mix as any other 2 breeds put together.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
very true like i said IM NOT GONNA DO IT AT ALL was just curious since that guy said something about it

·
Registered
816 Posts
the part that perplexes me is how can you have a 100lbs APBT that is 100% pure? example my pups dad....and they both have flawless pedigrees.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i dont understand that either 100 isnt healty for them thats just gonna lead to hip and joint problems

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
can you post that ped for a pure 100lb ABPT? im curious to see it, my Bullys are registered with the UKC as Apbt yet they arent so im thinking the owner here is confused and actually has a bully rather then APBT. you have to look at alot more then just what the papers say.

·
Registered
816 Posts
oh no , i dont have any doubt these dogs are 100% APBT , my dog will end up 58lbs im gonna guess, he isnt thick , ...he is very athletic looking and definitely nowhere near his dads weight.

here is a link to dads pedigree Mr stitch ....(MOM IS A 65 LBS apbt)

ONLINE PEDIGREES :: [121290] :: DIAMOND C'S MR STITCH

and she says she is adba licensed .

here s a video of the dad ......

here is mom, i didnt see any bullies...plus shes very proud of her dogs and the fact that she had her best friend (great grandparent to my dog) her best friend that won 5 championships and all her dogs always look old skool and have the best of temperaments. i can only tell u what my dog weighs lol..... she has beautiful dogs.

heres my dog samson ... he will be 7 months on the 30th ....today he weighed 49.4lbs and he is 19 inches at the withers , he is a tall boy , he is in great shape ....so loving its unreal. but i doubt he will go beyond 65lbs... I dont see it. but hes damn good looking and in shape.

·
Registered
816 Posts
i did see him when i picked up my pup in PA.... both mom and dad are tall...but he is structurally thick, i was just curious as to how they get to beyond the average max of 65lbs.... just like learning

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
If you breed a bully to an apbt, you will get a dog that looks more like an American Staff.

Who ever told you American Bullys dont have good temperament they are very wrong. They have been breed for better temperament. Correct me if im wrong.

Breeding for bigger structure and head does have its reasons. Not just in the bully world. People who use hog hunting dogs, they breed big boned and mass dogs.

Lets not mix this up or get carried away. Especially, throwing this propaganda thats been argued in endles pages of threads, like weight of a true apbt and AM Bullys. A Bad thing to do is generalize the breed. APBT breed branches off into different bloodlines. Just as the AM Bully does too. Each bloodline serves a specific purpose, or has a certain characteristic or phenotype.

Simple as this; when you have a complete outcross breeding, the dogs genes dont double up, so specific traits are out the window. What you will get is a mediocre dog. Some will look goofy, some will be real good, and the rest mediocre.

Weight is not an issue for an American Bully, it become an issue when backyard breeders breed for smaller dogs and more mass. It puts alot of pressure on their joints. An american bully whos been properly exercised, and not kenneled up, free fed. Will perform really well. What some ignorant BYB's do, is do a direct inbreeding to find the flaws in their blood line or breeding program, and most never spay or neuter their dog, and allow these bad faults to be bred.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
If you breed an American Bully to an APBT you will end up with useless pups who can't be shown nor worked.. The AmBully is a show dog that in order to contain that purpose needs to conform.. The APBT is a world class working hound bred for drive, function and ability.. Crossing the two is pointless and all you'd end up with are mutts..

In terms of a "100lb APBT", theres only 1 Bulldog that ever weighed that much and that was Vasquez's Buster Brown.. Weighting near 100lbs before he even turned 1.. You also have a few Whoppers to enter the 80lbs+ range however anyone who believes this is normal or common is wrong... Majority of your largest APBT's are in the 60's and 70's and make no mistake they are very large bulldogs..

If another 100 pounder was around today, it would be written about and discussed among the community.

·
Registered
816 Posts
what is the difference in % of bodyweight between chainweight and show weight? says 98lbs chainweight. i mean to me my papers mean zilch i dont plan on breeding him......he is perfect the way he is , i just see that even among APBT breeders they still use size as an enticement . if not every stud would be of average size and just good conformation/temperament right?????

i just like to point out some obvious stuff and like to know how they went about getting there.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
A lot of people exaggerate the weight of there dog trying to sound cool. Or just plain overfeed them and that is why they are so big. That dog Stich does not look like he's any where near 90lbs.

·
Gotta Love Them Red Dogs!
487 Posts
A lot of people exaggerate the weight of there dog trying to sound cool. Or just plain overfeed them and that is why they are so big. That dog Stich does not look like he's any where near 90lbs.
I agree, no way that dog is 90lbs. He also doesn't look pure APBT to me but I am not looking to get into arguments. APBT's are a lean muscular breed. Just as stated on previous post MANY bully's are registered as APBT's so papers stating that don't hold any sole value to base an argument on.

·
Registered
816 Posts
in person he was tall and stout , he looked pure like all her dogs. pretty reputable breeder.

index.html

she has plenty of history going back 20+ years with APBT so I am confident in what I have (not that it matters because if my dog was part alien i wouldnt care one bitl lol)

anyways.... i just weighed him and he is 50.6 lbs at 5 days shy of 7 months..... what age do they stop putting on weight at? 1yr or closer to 10 months? i know they fill out as they maturew on their second and 3rd year but i am talking about weight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts