Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been curious about what things others do or make their dog do to keep their place in the ladder. Like do you make your dog sit before meals? Before going out the door? What stuff do you think is hooey as far as dominance causing. Just always been curious about it. I make her sit before i put her food down, i go through the door first, i make her sit before putting the leash on, make her sit before letting her out the door. I practice good walking by making her walk by my side but sometimes tell her ok go ahead so she can be a dog as well. What stuff do you practice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I make Pinkie sit before her meals, but that was because if my son tried to feed her she went right over him to get to it. So now she sits before getting her bowl set on the floor. I took it a little too far tho because she gets petting and lovins before being told to eat, and if you don't give her lovins she doesn't eat even if you tell her "go eat".

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I make the dogs sit while getting the leash put on and sit before comming through the door to go in or out and they have to sit until they get the ok command, they have to do the same for meals. we do atleast 2 long walks a day around the lake the 1st walk is usually a "working" walk where they have to keep eyes on me , walk beside me , and occasional command sit lay down through out the walk , the 2nd walk they get more freedom and get to go to the end of the leash and sniff stuff and do buisness and we usually go for runs and more playful walks. They have to have permission to come up on furniture { I do let luna on the bed and they get to sleep on the couch during the day} and if they are outside in the yard they have to sit and shake each paw seperately lol just so i can clean the paws LMAO they dont really like this rule :)

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I also make the dog sit and wait for the OK before meals. once I forgot to say OK, I took a shower, came back and poor girl was waiting staring at her food..

I also make her sit and wait patiently before beginning any tug game and before giving her treats. it's more for making her control herself, I'm sure even I didn't do this she knows I'm boss.

I'm sure most dogs realize without the human they don't get anything.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Bruno is learning to wait,before I go out and in a door FIRST. His stupid @$$ kept charging out every time I opened a door.

he's getting better now. he will pause and look at me till I give him an ok.

I also pretend to eat some food first,before giving them their food. Let them know I eat first,cause I am alpha.

As for tug,Bruno loves it,and can get a bit carried away,so he has learned the "Enough" cue,and will drop the toy upon hearing it.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I tell Gargamel to go get dressed to go for a walk and he goes and sits and waits for his collar and leash. I hate him wearing a collar all the time so he only has it on when I am not home and when we go outside for walks. He also sits at every street crossing. That only took a few walks for him to learn and he does it all the time now. I have started to teach him left and right and straight. He knows right all the time. straight half the time and left none of the time. so weird, but I am still working on that one :) I have him sit when we are beginning and ending of tug games too.

Anyone else dog unable to sit with things in his mouth? No matter what I do, whenever he is asked to sit out pops whatever he had in his mouth, lol. I don't know if its cause he thinks he is getting a treat or what, but its kinda funny how he refuses to put anything in his mouth and sit.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pretty much sit,stay for food and b4 going in or /out. Sonny has to wait outside the kitchen so a long stay command and when we go to the room he can't come downstairs w/o my ok. during play he sits before the rope or ball is thrown and the drop it command is enforced otherwise he will run away and think he's playing keep away, basically anywhere in the yard if i can't see him i will recall with his name, if he doesn't come " Here now" with a changed tone will usually wield the result i want. "Here now" works on pretty much on everything but i only use that if he's being a punk.

if you really want your pooch to love his name every time you call him have a treat (only if he's good) then ween it to praises. Also Don't call him by his name if you're mad at him.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I guess I'm the odd person out. Vendetta is very well behaved she knows all the commands but I don't use them often. She goes out the door first mainly because I let her run and I did do the going out first thing when she was little but then if I wanted her to go outside without me she wouldn't. My dogs eat first this has always been the practice in my house since I was little. She does sit while I put her tracking harness on but not when I put the WP harness on.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
Performance Lisa had a talk with Bob and I have no problem with him doing anything without a command. He will down stay for hours. I dont Know what she said to him but it made him want to trust me and to believe in me. He could walk all over me with his strength but he just chooses to do it my way

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I talk to my dogs all the time. They know alot of words a crazy amount I think. I have always talked to my dogs like they understand everything. I think this helps keep them in line so to speak. They trust me and I trust them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
my dog waits for his food, but i mix up what he has to do. like sometimes sit stay sometimes down stay sometimes stand stay or sometimes i'll have him do another trick before he gets the "ok". he also knows leave it and drop it commands. we play tug and i even let him win sometimes and let him play keep away but i decide when we play and when we stop and he brings it to me and drops it when i say. so he's kind of earned those privileges. i would never allow him to win at tug or play keep away if he didn't listen and know that ultimately i'm in charge of the game. he's also allowed on the furniture but gets off if you say off. i just have to find a way to train my roommates to stop saying down when they want him off the couch... lol he listens and lays down right there on the couch. he also knows how to play dead, which puts him in a vulnerable position and rollover and will lay on his back or side for me to trim his nails.
i'm the leader or alpha or whatever, but i try not to be a jerk about it. i try to make it more about communication and understanding by using commands and words that he knows.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts