Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, im trying to think of how to word this question...

What sex bully should we get if we already know we will want at least 2 more dogs down the line?

The reason behind my question is growing up I always heard male dogs watch the property and females watch its pack (family). And then there is the territory issue with sedative or issues related to brining home a boy or girl when you already have a boy or girl.

Is most of it based off training or am I kust over thinking it?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well if you are looking for a dog that will play well with others this isn't the breed for that. Pit bulls are commonly dog aggressive and may decide to start fights or that they really hate other dogs at any point in their lives, usually around maturity though. A multiple dog home with bully breeds requires a lot of management and separation anytime you are gone or there is something worth fighting about. I have 3 dogs but walks, playtime, chewtime, feedings are one on one to prevent fights. You have slightly better chances of opposite sex working so if you get a male first then add a female but no guarantees. APBT are not a guardian breed at all and aren't generally protective or territorial. Mine think every stranger is their new best friend.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Well if you are looking for a dog that will play well with others this isn't the breed for that. Pit bulls are commonly dog aggressive and may decide to start fights or that they really hate other dogs at any point in their lives, usually around maturity though. A multiple dog home with bully breeds requires a lot of management and separation anytime you are gone or there is something worth fighting about. I have 3 dogs but walks, playtime, chewtime, feedings are one on one to prevent fights. You have slightly better chances of opposite sex working so if you get a male first then add a female but no guarantees. APBT are not a guardian breed at all and aren't generally protective or territorial. Mine think every stranger is their new best friend.
:goodpost:

I would just look at the puppies and see which personality you like and has some traits you like rather than going off gender. Read up on dog aggression also and crate and rotate.

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
Sex doesn't matter. Female will attavk males just as quick as other females of theyre da(same with males)... just skip on a dog for a year or two. Research likw crazy learn everything you can then worry about getting a dog... and NO NOVICE should own multiple dogs of any breed let alone breeds prone to dog aggression.

Amd as far as apbt not beimg protective. If im attacked and my dog just stands there doing nothing hes going to be killed when its all over. I have no room or feed for a dog that isnt loyal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive known many ppl with multiple dogs with there bullys. When we had Sarah. She loved everyone and all the dogs friends or other family brought by. Shoot. My wife rescued 2 different stray dogs. Both wanted to mount our Sarah (bully) and she just ignored the chiwawa humping her leg and some other larger mut trying to mount her. And the most she did was bark at them. And tge chiwawa she did not even growl at. Hahaha

I know how and why the breed was made. But that making also made alot of great family pets from what I have seen. I have to disagree with the idea the pitbull is some macho scary one dog household breed.

And the only ppl I hear that have had a bully act inappropriate. Were the ppl that left there dogs locked up or left in the yard like patio furniture.

Over my years I've mainly dealt with german shepherds. But all breeds are different. So I thought id ask. Most female GSD I had growing up and seen with other gsd. The girls seem possessive and jealous if the boys got any attention. Hahaha

We lost Sarah (bully) because the landlords were older ppl and when they knocked on the door. Sarah was at that window. Barking and scaring the poop out of them. So it was her or us that had to go. Now that we own our own home. My wife was looking to get a new bully. And I want a GSD. And we both like Rotti's. So with a wife and daughter now. I was thinking about what sex to get first. Not for breeding. But for a family. And yes, all will be fixed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sex doesn't matter. Female will attavk males just as quick as other females of theyre da(same with males)... just skip on a dog for a year or two. Research likw crazy learn everything you can then worry about getting a dog... and NO NOVICE should own multiple dogs of any breed let alone breeds prone to dog aggression.

Amd as far as apbt not beimg protective. If im attacked and my dog just stands there doing nothing hes going to be killed when its all over. I have no room or feed for a dog that isnt loyal.
Growing up we have rescued, fostered, and at one point my parents tried that whole AKC GSD breeding dream of theirs. But the sex issue is there with gsd. So I thought id ask on this forum.

And some dogs are not born fighters or guard dogs. Most dogs need training to be a guard dog. In fact some trainers have told me you cant have tour cake and eat it to. Meaning I cant have a dog trained to be a guard dog. And a family pet. Even retired police dogs to are up for adoption. Have to be re-programmed from what I hear. So dont "kill" your dog if he dont protect you. Really?

I think I may be on the wrong type of forum. I know I dont need a big boat chain when I walked our sarah.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
All anyone is trying to tell you is that you should be prepared for the possibility of DA within multiple dog households. The two you see in my signature CANNOT be around each other for more than a few seconds or a fight will ensue. I've had them both since they were pups and they're well on their way to adulthood now. It's nothing I or any of my family members have done to make them this way. Also, my mutt boy is a GREAT guard dog, and still a family pet. He guards out of instinct, and I have conditioned him by praising him when he does so. However, he is the biggest mush-ball with the family and will sleep in the beds with the kids, if I allow it.

In short, all anyone is asking is that you read, research and listen to the advice given and don't take the warnings lightly. All too often, we have had members here swear their dog loves other dogs, etc., etc., and then the next thing we know, they're posting how all of a sudden their two dogs got into it over nothing and now they fight constantly and the owner doesn't know what to do short of rehoming one of the dogs because they (the owner) either can't handle or doesn't want to do a crate and rotate system. Guess what... I didn't want to do that either, but I knew it was coming, and had them set up prior to their first fight. Dogs will be dogs, and the only way they can communicate is to growl, bark, and display various bodily signs, and if the owner isn't in tune or doesn't understand, then it can go unnoticed until that fateful day comes. Please don't leave because we're not giving you the answers you want to hear, but rather telling you the truth.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Not ALL apbt and mixes of are dog aggressive. We're just saying it's likely. You could end up with a dog that is fine. I have a bit of both. My 4 are all fine with each other at the present. Other dogs are a no go. IF your dog were to be da it typically shows at maturity between 1 and 2. My.boy showed his at 7 months. We want you to be prepared, not go into a situation thinking it will be all fine and dandy with no possibility of complication.

I don't need to walk my dogs with a "big boat chain" bc they're da. They have regular collars and leashes. That comes with training. Mine know how to behave on a leash. And I've taught them all a focus command and they can keep they're attention on me. Cain can now ignore other dogs when we're outside instead of trying to get at them and barking crazy.

On the protection topic my view is while these dogs are more likely to let a burglar walk right out with your tv, I think when it comes to it if I were in trouble my dogs would protect me. With as close as I am with my boy, and the way I see him act I believe he would. Now if you're looking for a dog to guard your home when you aren't there I recommend a gsd dobbie or rotti personally.

We are about education here. And making sure new owners don't set themselves on their dogs up for failure.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Once my boy hit maturity the switch turned on. I always knew it was a possibility since it is a trait of the breed, but there are people who have multiple bully breeds. It's not about how you raise them either. It's genetics. I socialized the shit out of my boy and he HATES small female dogs. Can't say I blame him, they're the ones that think they can take him on. Guess my big "pitty" family will never happen now 😔 lol

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
Growing up we have rescued, fostered, and at one point my parents tried that whole AKC GSD breeding dream of theirs. But the sex issue is there with gsd. So I thought id ask on this forum.

And some dogs are not born fighters or guard dogs. Most dogs need training to be a guard dog. In fact some trainers have told me you cant have tour cake and eat it to. Meaning I cant have a dog trained to be a guard dog. And a family pet. Even retired police dogs to are up for adoption. Have to be re-programmed from what I hear. So dont "kill" your dog if he dont protect you. Really?

I think I may be on the wrong type of forum. I know I dont need a big boat chain when I walked our sarah.

Yes really. If I raised it from a pup, feed it everyday, love it and care for it and it doesnt sho wthe same in return hes a goner. I didnt ask for your peta like opinion on my statement... if you want a dog that wont protect its owner that fine but I wont feed an unloyal animal...

Also your trainers are full of shit. A protection dog should be the most family friendly pet in existence.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
if he or she wont lay its life on the line for me, then how can i be exspected to do the same?????????????

but the ones i have now, DO NOT play games, human aggression or not,
if you attack me, and one of them can get to you, your life will be over,

all my dogs know how much they mean to me, and they are friendly, until,

the tide turns, they are all cool as long as i'm within eyesight, once they cant see me,

they are kickin up dirt 10' and foaming at the mouth, PINGING their chain trying to
get to you

·
1,859 Posts
I saw it in my old blue mutt right before Christmas. Brother in law brought a friend over, said friend started wackin my boy with a toodootadoo "the tube christmas paper is rolled on" Betcha he will heed my warning next time.

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
I saw it in my old blue mutt right before Christmas. Brother in law brought a friend over, said friend started wackin my boy with a toodootadoo "the tube christmas paper is rolled on" Betcha he will heed my warning next time.
Hed get a bowl of chow at my house. Now some worthless cur hiding while I or loved ones are being attacked, last meal he got would only cost a few cents.... im sure you got the means ro dispatch the animal and a purty tree to put it under lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Putting a dog down because it doesn't defend you? Wow.

Some dogs just don't have the genes for it, it's not that they're being "un-loyal" and betraying you. Not every dog is a natural protector; some don't know what to do with themselves in a bad situation or unusual predicament. Some do NATURALLY have it, but some just don't. Actually REALLY appalled at that statement. I think I might have to find a new forum.

As for the training thing; dogs CAN be both protectors and family dogs. A huge focus of Schutzhund training is ensuring the dog has an "off-switch". If the dog cannot hold back it's impulse, it wouldn't be found suitable for police work. Almost all police k-9s live with their handler and family(department permitting). I would argue they make better family dogs, because their level of obedience is out the roof and they're trained to act appropriately in all sorts of situations and environments . The father of my male GSD is a Slovakian military k-9, and if anything it has enhanced his alert-ness and heightened sense of being the "protector". If your trainer is telling you they can't be both, then I would suggest finding a different trainer. If the subject really interests you, check out PoliceK-9 magazine. Great articles on them.

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
Sch IS NOT the same as personal protection or guardian training. Its a sport and kost of the participants are "jute junkies" or only attck the sleeve (as trained to do)....

As far as everyone not liking my comment, I do not care. It my personal feeling and I have no use for a dog that wont defend me if the situation arose. I keep a dog that I know will defend me 100 % for these reasons. If you dont like or share my opinion that your right but no1s opinion was asked or is meaningful. I will nevwr have a use for a dog that cant perform its given task. I soend way too kuch money in feed, vet care, housing, and all other aspects of ownership for a dog to just take up space.

·
1,859 Posts
I aint got an off switch and expect same from a critter! I don't get the whole pet thing anway. I have a dog to hunt with me or look after my family. That's it..... If doesn't do either, It's not worth it's chow in my book.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I think you and someone ells told me the sexes dont matter. So getting a boy bully and later getting a different sex dog. Will have the same reaction, I take it?

As for the fighting issues. Ive been all over the internet looking at breeder and UKC dog breed info. And other then dogs getting more short tempered as they get older. The only thing I found close to what everyone told me about bullys snapping after 2 years of age. Is a mith. But I did read because of the type of breed. The bully is more incline to fight other dogs. But over the years, I've seen more bullys get fat happy and loving as they got older then I have ever had one snap at me. One dudes bully, growled a bit as I cane in his house. And then became my lap warmer after he knew I was a friend.

As for my comment about trained guard dogs and family pets. I do agree you can have both. Our Sarah (bully) thought she was my daughters mother. Sarah could be sleeping across the house. Sleeping and snoring. But when my one year old daughter cried. Sarah would jump from a dead sleep. Run to our daughters room, sarah would sniff our daughter, walk a circle around the room. Sniff my daughter again. Then leave and plop down in the living room. No training. She was our "nanny dog" too bad she barked at our landlords. :-(

I was just saying that some dogs dont act like other dogs. Dont mean its a bad dog if it dont attack someone going after you. That dog just did not have that personality. It like 2 brothers being brought up in the getto slums. One may gang bang. And the other may go to school and become a doctor. They are all good animals.

We want a bully, rottie, and a GSD. I was just checking to see if anyone had any knowledge of starting with a female or male dog before adding another breed and or sex dog into the family. It was just a thought.

I did not get upset because I did not like what I was told. Hahaha in fact I think only 2 ppl commented on my question.

Browse the internet for rescues and Kennel Clubs. Its a myth that they cant be left alone. They are just more prone to want to fight. Dont mean the bully is going to leave a mess for tge wife to clean up. Ive never heard that ever. We have even fostered bullys to prevent them from making it to the e-list.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Browse the internet for rescues and Kennel Clubs. Its a myth that they cant be left alone. They are just more prone to want to fight. Dont mean the bully is going to leave a mess for tge wife to clean up. Ive never heard that ever.
A myth huh? Last year two of my friends lost dogs who got loose and fought when no one was home. Both cases were dogs who could interact under supervision and both cases the dogs were separated but got together. Another person I know got a 3rd bully, was leaving all the dogs together and eventually came home to a bloodbath and ended up dumping the dog. If a fight breaks out and you aren't there, how do you think that's going to end?

Obviously it's not a guarantee the dogs are going to just freak out and kill each other the first time left alone but leaving bully breeds unsupervised together is a risk. A knock at the door, a dog walking by your house, a snark over who gets what bed could start a scuffle. This is a breed created and bred for the purpose of fighting other dogs, I'm not sure why it's so hard to grasp that fighting and DA is still deeply ingrained in them. It's a very common reason that these dogs are dumped and killed and completely avoidable if people would research and trust those with actual breed experience.

Here's some rescues who are honest about breed traits, both recommend separating dogs when unsupervised.
Multi-Dog Homes | BAD RAP
Pit Bull Rescue Central

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Some dogs just don't have the genes for it, it's not that they're being "un-loyal" and betraying you. Not every dog is a natural protector; some don't know what to do with themselves in a bad situation or unusual predicament. Some do NATURALLY have it, but some just don't. Actually REALLY appalled at that statement. I think I might have to find a new forum.

Mocha ,, don't let the opinions of one sway you away from the forum in general.

There are many of us here with different views and morals..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts