·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New state laws protect dogs
Pet Tales
Saturday, September 12, 2009
By Linda Wilson Fuoco, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
National animal rights and animal welfare organizations have been praisingPennsylvania legislators for unanimously approving a bill that strengthens animal cruelty laws for dogs by imposing restrictions on tail docking, ear cropping, de-barking, dewclaw removal and "surgical births."
Gov. Ed Rendell signed the bill into law on Aug. 27.
The bill's apparent intent is to have surgeries performed by veterinarians using general anesthesia. There are a few exceptions. A veterinarian is not required to dock tails or remove dewclaws of puppies 5 days old or younger. One potential problem is with surgeries performed before the new law was passed. In some cases, owners must provide proof that a veterinarian performed the procedure.
The Humane Society of the United States praises the bill, and its primary sponsor, state Rep. Thomas R. Caltagirone, D-Berks, says the legislation will "prohibit some of the most painful and unsafe procedures commonly performed on dogs at large-scale puppy mills."
But this law applies to all dogs, not just to those born in puppy mills. So pay attention if you have purchased or adopted dogs with docked tails or cropped ears.
Dog owners "shall record the procedure and keep the record" of surgeries, the bill says. If a state dog warden or a humane officer sees a dog with an unhealed scar from tail docking, ear cropping, de-barking, dewclaw removal or a C-section birth, they can request proof that the surgery was done by a veterinarian.
The section on ear cropping goes a step beyond and has some people worried. Anyone who "shows or exhibits" a dog with cropped ears is committing a summary offense unless he or she produces a "certificate stating that the cropping was done by a veterinarian or a certificate of registration from a county treasurer showing that the dog was cut or cropped before this [law] became effective."
There are many events in Pennsylvania, including dog shows and field trials for sporting breeds, that attract competitors from all over the country. The bill says non-Pennsylvania residents can certify, under oath, to a county treasurer that the ears were cut or cropped before this law was passed.
This well-intentioned anti-cruelty legislation is causing anger or disappointment at both ends of the animal lovers spectrum. The new law isn't strong enough for people who think cropping and docking are cruel and should be outlawed.
And the law is viewed as invasive by dog owners who want their dogs to have the ears and/or the tail that their breed standard calls for. Some in this camp view it as a step down that slippery slope, leading to more invasive laws, such as mandatory spay-neuter. ...

·
Registered
962 Posts
the UK has similar laws outlawing cropping and docking on dogs. they do have loopholes for show dogs though.

while it is your right to do what you want, i see how cropping or docking your dog comes into the thought that your dog is "property" not a "being". this brings up a whole different topic.
a topic that could be a little deep for many, JMO.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
i wonder why the more they push for these ethical,anti cruelty laws,the worse it gets?
I dosent seem like these laws change anything,makes me sick!
how about feeding the poor,housing the destitute and providing help for the people suffering from addiction,or homeless veterans?
they spend all this time lobbying for animal rights and focus little on the humans that are to keep those animals.sickos....

·
Registered
423 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Thats so true things like that piss me off.

·
Banned
4,383 Posts
i wonder why the more they push for these ethical,anti cruelty laws,the worse it gets?
I dosent seem like these laws change anything,makes me sick!
how about feeding the poor,housing the destitute and providing help for the people suffering from addiction,or homeless veterans?
they spend all this time lobbying for animal rights and focus little on the humans that are to keep those animals.sickos....
you are absolutely right these people need to find a worthy cause a way to give back to people.

These people are fueld by greed and discize it with a fasaud of caring for these animals it just gives these groups more power and more ways to take money from people that work hard to get it. And they use naive people to help push this crap. :stick:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts