Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My girlfriend and I recently took home a 9 week old pit / american bulldog cross. Life couldn't have been better! Until about four weeks later when she started having uncontrollable diarrhea. Luckily it started the day before we were taking her in to get her second round of vaccinations, so when we went in we brought a stool sample with us and had a full round of fecal examinations done. In the mean time the vet had us bring home a wet, fibre enhanced, food that we were to feed her along with Pepto for 3 days. During those three days her stool was perfect, and the fecal exam came back negative for any bacteria or parasites. We started her back onto her kibble (Acana Large Breed Puppy) and her diarrhea started back up again. Now she had been doing excellent on that food for a month, so we called the vet and he said that he hadn't checked for giardia so he prescribed some anti-biotics which we were supposed to have her take for 5 days. That was four days ago. At first it seemed like things were working; immediately following the first pill she took (well, a couple hours past anyway) her stool was firming up. And then for the first time in awhile she didn't have diarrhea throughout the night. But then we ran out of her dog food. We recently moved to a city and so we thought that it wouldn't be hard to find Acana, however every store that carries it here was sold out and so we had to change dog food. We bought Orijen Large Breed Puppy and started her on that two days ago. We had next to no Acana left and so it was an abrupt change for the poor pup. Now she has diarrhea again (although her frequency is normal) and yesterday she threw up 4 hours after her first meal, and there was most of her meal still intact in the puke. This morning she threw up some yellow bile, and she also has the worst gas imaginable. Her energy level is still super high, she's really happy, and has a great appetite. What's going on?

We want to feed her the best food we can which is why we chose Acana and Orijen. We originally chose Acana because we were worried about the high protein levels in Orijen. But we're both students and can't really afford to take her to the vet all the time. Of course we'll take her if we need to, but I don't want to spend the extra money if it's only because we abruptly switched dog foods. Any ideas on what this could be? Should we try feeding a tablespoon of plain yoghurt in the morning?

Sorry this was so long, but the users of this forum seem fairly knowledgeable and I wanted to make sure you guys had all of the info. Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Honestly I am no vet so I don't know what to tell you. Akasha our puppy had a problem with eatting dry kibble and I have no idea why....
The food your feeding doesn't seem to be low quality but again I don't know much about it.

If the puppy is getting diarrhea normally it means something is wrong - and it could be an abstruction in the stomach or something. Did you vet do an X-ray? Have they checked for Parvo? Here's a weird question.....what does the poop look like? Is the poop really running and yellowish/slimey? Or is the poop like a greenish color/slimey? Sorry to ask you this but maybe it may help us try and narrow it down.

When a puppy gets diarrhea (from what the vet told me) if untreated it can get into the spine and cause "Colitus" -

Colitis In Dogs - Guide On Canine Colitis - Treatment For Dog Colitis

If you are students who can't afford vet care all the time I would recommend applying for

CareCredit Healthcare Finance - Payment Plans and Financing for Cosmetic Surgery, Dental, Vision, Hearing, Veterinary & Other Medical Procedures

Its a medical card that can be used for vets - takes 5 minutes to be approved and to be honest my credit isn't that great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Her poop is a normal colour, I think. And most of the time it will start out looking like it's just going to be a soft, normal stool, but then about half way through it's like someone turned on the water tap. So it ends up just a pile, no form but not a puddle either. And to be a little more graphic (sorry) it smells horrible. I don't really know how much puppy poop should smell, but even outside if you're downwind you have to cover your nose. I'm hoping it's just her getting used to this new food. If it is that how long does it normally take for a pup to get used to new food?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Honestly it sounds like you may have to take your put in and have them take x-rays ~ Anytime a dog has diarrhea is could be serious or turn into something serious -

Ask the vet to check for Colitus - like I posted eariler - consider that puppies get into things and she could have digested something bad for her -

Another thing to consider is your pup may have irriable bowl snydrome, in which case it will need to be treated ~ Make sure your puppy is getting plenty of exercise and plenty of water.

We are not vets here and yeah maybe a bit of plain organic yogurt will help - but only a vet can determine the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts