Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our dogs keep getting fleas and after lots of frontline and flea shampoo, treating the house, etc etc we decided to call eliminex. They told us its probably coming from our neighbors' house and they would keep coming back even if they sprayed.. so we talked to the neighbors and they admitted that yes, both of their dogs have fleas and ticks. They told us they bought shampoo to treat it but the dogs don't like baths so they gave up and are just letting them live with fleas and ticks... is there ANYTHING we can do so the fleas quit coming into our yard and our dogs quit getting them? We gave them suggestions for other options and how to bathe their dogs if they don't like baths in case they can't afford the other options but they just brushed it off and have yet to fix the problem... thank you!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I have tried advantage and other flea treatments and had a horrible time with them last year we switched our dogs over to the garlic and yeast pills you can get for dogs in the petsore and havent had a flea in over a year now and we DONT use advantage or any chemical control at all. Its like 1 pill for every 10lbs so 70 lb dog give 7 pills a day in there food { thats how we do it} I think about 4 weeks afterstarting them on these we seen results. you can give them to cats as well not sure how easy it is to get them to take them though lol. worth a shot if everything else has failed you worked wonders for me and they arent expensive.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Diatomaceous Earth-Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth-Wholesale Prices

Diatomaceous Earth would be worth a shot. Its a powder and you'd sprinkle it on your perimeter. How it is supposed to work is that fleas walk across it and it abrades their exoskeleton, killing them.

Another thing. It might be considered failure to provide care if the dogs are loaded with parasites, in which case animal control might step in and make them do something. But that does get into an area where you could potentially end up fighting with your neighbors. Nobody likes having The Man called on them.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Tell the Animal Control that your neighbor's dogs are infested with Ticks and Fleas and see if they will come out and talk to them about the dangers of letting your dog live like that. Anemia is very serious, I was borderline Anemic when pregnant and had to take like 5 iron pills a day lol

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
another reason im glad i dont have neighbors :D

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Tell the Animal Control that your neighbor's dogs are infested with Ticks and Fleas and see if they will come out and talk to them about the dangers of letting your dog live like that. Anemia is very serious, I was borderline Anemic when pregnant and had to take like 5 iron pills a day lol
I would try the other options 1st the diatomaceus earth around the yard , garlic pills for the dogs {not sure if vinegar works} before calling AC on neighbors , if it isnt absolute abuse the dogs arent wasting away or left out on chains for days i think calling AC can open a whole other can of worms . If all these things fail and your still having probs then maybe call. Guess it depends on the neighbors and the area you live in some people can get down right nasty over things like that.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well our dogs take brewers and yeast garlic b12 vitamins daily...and flea shampoo once a week...but the neighbors' fleas keep coming over

·
keep it REAL
971 Posts
Get some red cedar and line cover your property line. The smell naturally repells the fleas some.

·
Banned
314 Posts
So our dogs keep getting fleas and after lots of frontline and flea shampoo, treating the house, etc etc we decided to call eliminex. They told us its probably coming from our neighbors' house and they would keep coming back even if they sprayed.. so we talked to the neighbors and they admitted that yes, both of their dogs have fleas and ticks. They told us they bought shampoo to treat it but the dogs don't like baths so they gave up and are just letting them live with fleas and ticks... is there ANYTHING we can do so the fleas quit coming into our yard and our dogs quit getting them? We gave them suggestions for other options and how to bathe their dogs if they don't like baths in case they can't afford the other options but they just brushed it off and have yet to fix the problem... thank you!
If I had neighbors like that, I'd get very up close and personal.
That total BS...if I knew where the problem was, that is where I would go...
You shouldn't have to pay money to fix a problem caused by others...
I know what I would do, but can't say it here...but you can fix it real quick, if you want.

D

·
0 Posts
i would call AC and let them know the neighbors are neglecting their dogs by letting them live w/ fleas and ticks..

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't do too much to the property because its not personally owned by me so sprinkling things outside may put the in-laws' animals at risk (cats and chickens)...plus they're already upset with me because one of their chickens died of old age this morning yet they are convinced my dogs killed it --___-- you know if they were chihuahuas nobody would assume that... I still don't know how they could've killed it when it died in its locked chicken coop??? The dogs couldn't even get in???? >__<

1 - 16 of 16 Posts