Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Silver VIP Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres just an FYI if your looking into the breed as a watchdog, get a different breed! These guys are WORTHLESS for the most part as a watchdog... ok maybe they are PERFECT watchdogs, they will watch your stuff taken right from under your nose and have a wag in their tail as they do it!

I just got a call this morning from my dad stating he took off with my car early this morning to have the heating fan fixed because it completely stopped working. Having no working heat when it's in the single digits outside really sucks.

So my dad was able to walk over, through my back yard, through my gate (which you can hear inside open and close), start my car, work on my car, then take my car and Nubs NEVER moved from the couch. There is no way he would have not heard it. My car isn't the quietest when it is running.

Last year my car was broken into while sitting in my driveway late at night and Nubs never made a peep even.

Thank goodness I did not get Nubs to be a watchdog because I would be SORELY disappointed. I just think it's funny that he'll hear my car coming and start dancing, barking, crying, but when I'm at home, he doesn't even think "Hmmm... Human's CAR!!!!!". What a funny Nubs!

Not too worried about people coming in uninvited. This is the view you see normally when I'm gone out the front of the house:

About as good as your gonna get with this watchdog!

·
Registered
287 Posts
while for the most part the apbt doesnt make a good protection dog they can do alright as a watchdog. most thieves will avoid any house with a dog period, not for fear of being attacked, just cause the dog will bark/make noise. im lucky in that my newest female pup is actually very territorial for an apbt and stays alert to anyone approaching the house. she will also bark her fool head off at anyone that comes up here. love my little girl :)

·
Registered
859 Posts
U prob don't want your dog to be territorial especially for an APBT I can understand barking. When my car was broken into TWICE! (smh) my dog alerted me but I didn't pay attention to her and told her to be quiet lol the second time I wasn't around and she was alerting again and my sister told her to be quiet. For the most part she doesn't bark at every little thing and person which I prefer her not too. But she has barked when things were wrong.

·
Registered
287 Posts
U prob don't want your dog to be territorial especially for an APBT I can understand barking. When my car was broken into TWICE! (smh) my dog alerted me but I didn't pay attention to her and told her to be quiet lol the second time I wasn't around and she was alerting again and my sister told her to be quiet. For the most part she doesn't bark at every little thing and person which I prefer her not too. But she has barked when things were wrong.
the territorial thing i dont really mind. and yeah, my little girl at 5 months is already territorial. whenever she does bark at something it means we have someone coming to our door. shes been a great house dog thus far.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
lol yeah mine are pretty much the same! I would not try to break in with Nubs watching! I think the public fear is good for only one thing, they are worried if they see a APBT or bully they do look intimidating. Mu dutch Shepherd and Boston terrier are good watch dogs everyone else just wags ;)

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
My dog's have exceptional hearing lol if I so much as move those darn dogs bark LMAO!!! They are good alert dog's and of course front dog's because people just don't know how lousy they really are at guarding ...

·
Silver VIP Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was a complete joke-ish post about the whole watch dog thing. So many people get this breed to be a "guard dog" I just wanted to post what it's REALLY like owning one.

I knew Nubs would be a horrible watchdog from day one. I just wanted a big old love bug that looked like he could bend steel. Looks sometimes make people more fearful then things they should really look out for.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Isn't it funny that they are "psychological watchdogs"? lol

People who come here are afraid of Maggie cause of her breed when it's Jake the coonhound (who they don't pay attention to) that would be the one to take a piece outta their butt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts