Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mean a dog which generally shows HA. I've never been bitten by one of my dogs, i've had 11 so far, none ever showing any HA. But have been bitten ( hand and calf) by 2 who knew me well. Turned out both were soon diagnosed w/ serious med problems. I guess I'd check out mine w/ the Vet.
But I had a conversation w/ someone recently that made me think. He's got a Jack Russell ' rescue' about 6 yrs old. He said he was rough housing w/ his young daughter one morning while wearing PJ's...the dog jumped up and bite him there, that's right. Required 4 stitches he said. I said, 'you've still got the dog?' yeah..., said he had mixed feelings because the dog was protecting his daughter....and if he brought the dog to shelter, no one would take a dog that had done that. Got to say I admire his commitment.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I've had my own dogs get me with there teeth playing tug but that was accidental. I had an ACD who was very rough when playing tug and would even do hang time on a spring pole. He got me a couple times but nothing serious. I was playing rough with him. Boy was BA. If I had one of my dogs turn on me.....first I would visit the vet and check for any undiagnosed med issues. If nothing comes up and they don't diagnose him or her with anything that could have triggered it I would have to consider euthanashia (sp?). People are to quick to make excuses for there dogs to avoid such things when in reality it is the only option and the responsible thing to do. Why wait for it to happen again when next time it could be worse.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
would depend on the situation I would have to evaluate what caused the bite if it was protection or just over did it while playing got to carried away , if it was pain that caused it or if it was just out of the blue , If it was an out of the blue attack no provoction I would have a vet take a look over if nothing was found maybe look into having the temperment tested . Something unprovoked and no explanation I would really be faced with a hard decision I would have to think about the safety of my kids 1st and the dog may have to go to somewhere suitable if applicable or PTS.

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
I'm gonna cut to the chase.
theirs alot of bite situations,most understandable.
A bite,they out and out bite for no reason,theirs this bridge in okeechobee,theys lotsa gators under and around it.I'll throw the dog in and not feel A twinge of loss.I used to shoot them,or other folks dogs years ago.i've become green energy conscious.it also feeds nature. gators love dogs.I know.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
wonder how a pit bull would do against a gator.. i got this image in my head now.. lol

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Dogs have teeth and bite happen, it is the nature of the bite that is more important. Is the dog truly DA or was it because of another reason. A medical condition could cause a dog to bite and I would not blame the dog. Many times a bite like the example you gave is the result of a dog not understanding what is going on and if he felt the baby was being harmed he tried to protect her. Does that make the JRT a bad dog? No it means the owners should put him up if they want to wrestle.

I get calls a lot for dog bites and 9 times out of 10 it is not HA it is the circumstances surrounding the bite and is normally the humans fault.

You will get ppl that say no matter what if a dog bites put it down, but that thinking is more ignorance of dog behavior than anything else.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm gonna cut to the chase.
theirs alot of bite situations,most understandable.
A bite,they out and out bite for no reason,theirs this bridge in okeechobee,theys lotsa gators under and around it.I'll throw the dog in and not feel A twinge of loss.I used to shoot them,or other folks dogs years ago.i've become green energy conscious.it also feeds nature. gators love dogs.I know.
You don't mess around William. Guess it would be doubly good for the environment if you could harvest the bad dog eating gators. I've had fried alligator, which I enjoyed... wonder if it would be any good smoked.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Theres such a wide range of circumstances hard to answer really.. worst case scenario the dog goes zzz

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
You don't mess around William. Guess it would be doubly good for the environment if you could harvest the bad dog eating gators. I've had fried alligator, which I enjoyed... wonder if it would be any good smoked.
really,I don't mess around,with as Performance Kennel stated,theirs ramifications to situations.I'm somewhat heavy handed with young dogs when in certain situations. as with pits, and my ACD, I have 2 very stubborn breeds. they get testy.I'm the one who isn't all foo foo with dogs.they get A smack,or I'll switch that as$ for them.
my relationship with them is much more personal and close. they are the item that I interact with the most in my life. they and i are together at least 16 hr. A day. they are on my bed, under my feet or in my lap, yeah,always one and the other waiting it's turn.
so i have A need for stricter discipline. for those who know, through good sense,or A bad situation, when you interact with an animal,especially tough minded breeds, you have to be and stay on top of them.
I love me some fresh gator. just moved to A small house. soon it'll be time to go get one. got a native american friend,Jake, he's micosukkee indian. they can take gator anytime. so I'm gonna go truss one up and bring it to him and fill my freezer. and soons I get A deep freeze, me and the dogs is gunna get us a pig or 3.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
really,I don't mess around,with as Performance Kennel stated,theirs ramifications to situations.I'm somewhat heavy handed with young dogs when in certain situations. as with pits, and my ACD, I have 2 very stubborn breeds. they get testy.I'm the one who isn't all foo foo with dogs.they get A smack,or I'll switch that as$ for them.
my relationship with them is much more personal and close. they are the item that I interact with the most in my life. they and i are together at least 16 hr. A day. they are on my bed, under my feet or in my lap, yeah,always one and the other waiting it's turn.
so i have A need for stricter discipline. for those who know, through good sense,or A bad situation, when you interact with an animal,especially tough minded breeds, you have to be and stay on top of them.
I love me some fresh gator. just moved to A small house. soon it'll be time to go get one. got a native american friend,Jake, he's micosukkee indian. they can take gator anytime. so I'm gonna go truss one up and bring it to him and fill my freezer. and soons I get A deep freeze, me and the dogs is gunna get us a pig or 3.
With this breed to maintain some control in certain situations I can give a "I'll kill you look" and the dog knows to back off. I am pretty hard on my own dogs but not unfair. If I say knock it off and you ignore me..... I'll come at you like a banshee! lol Last night Barca kept barking for no reason and he did not take my threat as the real deal. I went flying into the dog run and he flipped over on his back, I really didn't even have to correct him but he thought I was going to kill him.... Peace for the rest of the night. While I will only resort to a hit or swat as a last resort, I think we are similar with not putting up with any :poop: from the dogs.

LMAO I was at Holly's when I took her Crixus and we were working the dogs out front. Xena blew off Holly and she remembered real quick not to blow me off. Funny how I did not see her for several month but she still knew I meant business!

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
i'm hard on my dogs too... they know the look and they know not to mess w/ it.. Daisy will literally flop over and piss herself if i look at her crosseyed.. lol

they can tell by the way i carry myself if i'm angry w/ them..

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
With this breed to maintain some control in certain situations I can give a "I'll kill you look" and the dog knows to back off. I am pretty hard on my own dogs but not unfair. If I say knock it off and you ignore me..... I'll come at you like a banshee! lol Last night Barca kept barking for no reason and he did not take my threat as the real deal. I went flying into the dog run and he flipped over on his back, I really didn't even have to correct him but he thought I was going to kill him.... Peace for the rest of the night. While I will only resort to a hit or swat as a last resort, I think we are similar with not putting up with any :poop: from the dogs.

LMAO I was at Holly's when I took her Crixus and we were working the dogs out front. Xena blew off Holly and she remembered real quick not to blow me off. Funny how I did not see her for several month but she still knew I meant business!
Im the same way with mine, they know when im not playing around without having to resort to "popping" however there is always the occasion that it may be needed. For a while there they had zero respect for Ashley but ive been working with her and its gotten a lot better with her. With me though they know not to push my buttons too often because i will follow through. lol

Now for the OP, as others have said its going to depend on the situation. Did i fail as a trainer to my dog? Health issues? Defense? HA? Etc. There are too many variables so id have to go on a situation basis.

If its something that can be helped through training or various exercises id work with the dog, if theres any sign of health or HA (depending on the breed as well, a little HA is okay for certain breeds but generally unacceptable) ill PTS. ESPECIALLY if children are involved.

I have zero problem putting a dog to sleep if theres a legit reason for it.

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
nice to see folk not squabble, and even those who use an agressive measure.
young dogs,full of pis$ and vinegar,they don't flip over til ya flip them, then they know who king doo doo is.

·
Registered
471 Posts
would depend on the situation I would have to evaluate what caused the bite if it was protection or just over did it while playing got to carried away , if it was pain that caused it or if it was just out of the blue , If it was an out of the blue attack no provoction I would have a vet take a look over if nothing was found maybe look into having the temperment tested . Something unprovoked and no explanation I would really be faced with a hard decision I would have to think about the safety of my kids 1st and the dog may have to go to somewhere suitable if applicable or PTS.
I agree one 100%:goodpost:

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
Its a Jack Russell TeRRORist ... LOL what do you expect? :confused: really??

Thats right they are smart, pugnacious and tough and they know how to get you afraid so they can beat you up real good... LOL Thats what people should get if they want a protection dog.. :poop: nothing faster on sprint LOL "its your ( Y ) mister postman" :D

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
the damn truth.. my buddy has a JRT and its crazy..

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Accidental bite: Stuff happens. I'll thump them on the head and tell them to be more careful.

With puppies: I give them to a certain age to work out the no-biting rule by yelping like a puppy and other non-confrontational means. When they get to certain age or size, I start biting back. This one pup I worked with was a mouthy little turd and also lacking in confidence. I was gentle with him at first while he was building his self-esteem. Later on, I started putting the smack down. Now he's a good kiddo. :)

Redirection bite: Oh heck no, someone's getting owned for that. I'll allow a little leeway due to a high-stress situation, but its not going to be pretty. And it better be a snap-and-release bite. I've taken these in the middle of fights occasionally, and that's about the only situation where I can let it go.

Purposeful bite: I'd start by ruling out the health issues, but even there, I should be able to handle my dogs in any situation. If there was not a severe medical issue, that dog would be gone. It would break my heart, but I've had to do it before. I wont own another liability.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Pretty much agree with the general consensus here. If there are no extenuating circumstances and if it's a genuine bite they'll go to sleep.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts