Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so my boyfriend and I are driving home from work. Midnight and raining. I'm waiting at a busy intersection, I see a black pit bull type dog fly into the street darting back and fourth, crosses the street and the darts behind my car. My boyfriend says do not get out of the car just as I popped my door open. I said, but its a black pit bull outside in the rain and its dark, my boyfriends says EXACTLY why you should no try and go to it! He loves my pup, he plays and lets him cuddle. But when I said its a pit bull, I meant he more likely not going to attack me, and to him it meant, its a pit bull he is gonna attack you. Just made me realize he still had a long way to come to understand the breed. I try to coax the pup out of the intersection. I see he has a collar on, but cant read the collar, so I crouch down and try to get the pup to come to me. The pup starts walking towards me and my boyfriend opens his door saying please get back in the car, please don't try to catch the dog. and the dog barked and then turned around off up the street. Now I was not going to chase the dog down or just gonna grab him, I was gonna play it by ear and see what the situation unfolded, but he took off and I couldnt try and help :( I was hoping he would come to me so I could try and read his collar and call his owner.

So my question is, would you have tried to read the collar to call the owner? or would you be too scared of a random dog roaming the streets and just mind your business?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Going up can be trouble but If you know body language very well then I would go for it. Iv'e walked up on many strays with or without a collar and never been bitten. Normally ran from or cowered at. I always watch body language if I see a sign of "I could bite, I'm scared" or " I'm very nervous" I back off a bit and let them get more comfortable. I don't always go after strays but Iv'e been known to bring some back home to the owner with a few harsh words.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I am not an expert but I figure I can tell if the dog is nervous scared or what not, and go from there, I just wanted the pup out of the street and not causing potential trouble in my hood. Totally wanted to cuss the owners out too, lol.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Lol no brainer here! I'd stop and call the owners. I've stopped trying yo go to every dog that's loose as I can't rescue them all but if they have a tag then most likly they have an owner wanting them back!

·
3,272 Posts
Also wanted to add, I stop for dead dogs on the side of the road if they have collars and will call the owner so they can have closure!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also wanted to add, I stop for dead dogs on the side of the road if they have collars and will call the owner so they can have closure!
that's so sad, but so great of you :) hate to be getting a call like that ever. So glad my boy will not be in a place he could escape from.

·
3,272 Posts
that's so sad, but so great of you :) hate to be getting a call like that ever. So glad my boy will not be in a place he could escape from.
It is sad but everyone I've called have been very greatful and more then one have told me they would have always wondered what happened if I hadn't called :(

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I would have stopped and tried to help the dog but I agree watch thebody language you can tell when a dog is just nervous but friendly vs one that is going to bite you usually. I dont like grabbing a dog by the collar though some dogs have issues with being restricted so Id try and coax them to come in the car or see if i can read the tag without having to pull the dog somewhere. Id be more willing to help a pitbull type breed then most small dogs I think those small ones are the type that bite more often.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
I'm with Aireal. Hopefully the pup doesn't fall in the wrong hands :(

And I'm sorry to say....but your bf need to MAN UP!!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm with Aireal. Hopefully the pup doesn't fall in the wrong hands :(

And I'm sorry to say....but your bf need to MAN UP!!
hahahaha yeah He didn't like it when I told him that lol

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
woulda tried to contact the owner then if something didnt work out i woulda just kept the dog...

·
Registered
36 Posts
my pup got loose once

and it really wasn't my fault, so i don't know that being chewed out by someone would have sat well with me. luckily, it was a best case scenerio, as a gal that loved/owned dogs and had once experienced the same thing, rescued my girl from a busy street and took her home until we could rendezvous at the humane society the next day.

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
I woulda tried to help him, and then contact the owners. butim with Angelbaby, i would be more willing to help a pit bull type dog than other breeds. but im that way with cars too. im more likely to help a stuck toyota than any other car. not sure why just how i roll lol.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Yep, you stop and help that dog. It happens alot to me and I've started to accept the idea that God puts me in those situations because He knows that I'm going to come to the dog's aid. Some you can help...some you can't even get close to. It's the dogs that don't trust me and run that really hurts me the most, because I see the fear in their eyes and I just want to let them know that it's OK to approach me. Alot of these "strays" are not that far from home when I catch them and it's a 10-20 minute deal to get them to their owners. However, I'll never forget trying to gain a dog's trust by attempting to give him some of my sandwich...he got scared when I tossed it over towards him and he ran directly into traffic getting killed instantly before my eyes...one of the worse days of my life :( But I still try.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
hahaha.. .Classic!

Great job and effort at least you almost got the collar to read the tag for owner/vet I just look for the name of owner or rabies tag and drop em off at the vet on the tag or call them to notify the owner.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
that's horrible, saint! i feel for you :(
Thank you. You know, I think about that dog every day of my life...if only I didn't toss that piece of sandwich over toward him maybe he would have just ran the other way...it really shook me up. On the other end of the spectrum, I have sat in a total stranger's back yard where I steared a "pit bull" into a fenced in area for over an hour just to gain his trust. He started growling at first, but by the end of the hour (where I just sat near him talking to him ) he was at my side. It's sad that some people can turn a blind eye towards an animal in need...they had better hope that they are never in the animal's situation someday looking for help. BTW, the last three animals I've rescued have been a bat, and believe it or not, two Great Horned owls on two separate occassions...one was malnourished, one was hit in the rear by a car. The owl that was hit by a car is being taken to different local schools to show all the kids (as part of a program)...the best life he could hope for considering he was using his beak to crawl along the roadside when I found him.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep, you stop and help that dog. It happens alot to me and I've started to accept the idea that God puts me in those situations because He knows that I'm going to come to the dog's aid. Some you can help...some you can't even get close to. It's the dogs that don't trust me and run that really hurts me the most, because I see the fear in their eyes and I just want to let them know that it's OK to approach me. Alot of these "strays" are not that far from home when I catch them and it's a 10-20 minute deal to get them to their owners. However, I'll never forget trying to gain a dog's trust by attempting to give him some of my sandwich...he got scared when I tossed it over towards him and he ran directly into traffic getting killed instantly before my eyes...one of the worse days of my life :( But I still try.
UGH so heartbreaking! But love your spirit! You totally gotta keep trying!

·
Super Moderator
4,587 Posts
I would stop and help. I have stopped and helped. Luckily my GF has the same heart that I do. Ames, tell your man to quit beind such a pansie.

Some sad, and some amazing stories on this thread.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts