Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(This is from another all-dog training forum.)

I'm new to dog guardianship, and I'm also new to dogsintraining. I was hoping someone could help me and my partner with a few suggestions as to what we should try with our dog.
We've had Zak, a 5 year old Staffy, for almost six months now. He was my mother's dog until she gave him to me as she couldn't care for him any more.

Zak is a handsome, cheeky, playful and cuddly boy, but we've had a few problems with him. Zak is sometimes aggressive towards other dogs.

Here's a few scenarios:
Scenario 1:
Zak is playing fetch happily with me in the park. Out of nowhere, a small staffy cross runs straight at us, and they 'square up'. I can't see the owner anywhere so I ask Zak to come away. He doesn't respond. Other dog's owner turns up. A fight breaks out - of the 'snappy snappy snarl with teeth' variety. It happened so fast that I couldn't see who 'started' it. I try to grab Zak's collar to no avail, and the other owner STARTS KICKING MY DOG IN THE FACE.
I'm screaming at the guy to stop kicking my dog and get his dog off mine. Eventually we separate them. I tell him he's a dickhead, he says I need to keep my 'vicious dog' under control, we go our separate ways.

Scenario 2:
I go to visit my friend with Zak and my partner. She lives in an apartment building. It was rainy that day so I was towelling him off in the hall with his lead attached but on the floor. Suddenly a dog comes running down the stairs and runs straight towards Zak, and paused a few paces away. I didn't see him coming as I was bent over Zak, but my partner did and let out a bit of a yell. I see the dog. He has no lead and no collar on. I tried to grab hold of Zak's lead but he moved just as I went for it, and the next thing I know they were fighting. They must only have been fighting for a few seconds before I'd got hold of Zak's lead and then his collar. Me and my partner tried blocking Zak from the other dog with our bodies. His owner turns up then. She and my partner had to drag off her dog by the scruff of his neck. (He's a lab/staffy cross.)
Zak had a few scratches and the other dog, Dodge, had a small puncture on his shoulder.
Dodge's owner was bitten by one of the dogs. (I don't mean to sound biased, but I'm pretty sure Zak wouldn't have been able to bite her.)

Scenario 3:
This happened on Monday, when just Zak and my partner were out. Zak and my partner were on a walk, Zak was off his lead. Partner clocks another dog up ahead, tells Zak to come to him. Other dog clocks Zak and starts toward him. Partner calls Zak to him again. Zak starts toward the other dog. Both dogs meet. Both do the leaning-in stance thing. Zak tries to put his head on other dog's shoulder. Some circling happens. Zak snaps at other dog. (All the while, partner is trying to get lead back on Zak, other dog's owner is all 'Merrr they're all right.') Other dog snaps back; snarling noises happen. Neither dog was hurt by the other but this really freaked my partner out.

There's been one or two occasions as well where Zak has lunged at/snarled at/snapped at other dogs while on the lead. In the first fortnight of having him, he was on the lead, a dog came from nowhere, and they did the usual circling thing, with Zak eventually snarling and snapping at the other dog (and the other dog's owner saying he was evil.)

Now then, this is where it's confusing: Zak is also friends with other dogs on the park/on our street/etc - an Australian shepherd cross (male), a border collie/whippet/fox/heinz 57 (male), a golden retriever (female), a french bulldog (female), a staffy (female), also a male labradorish-looking dog.
It would be interesting to note that when we first introduced Zak to the heinz, Alfie, Zak growled at him and nipped at him (no blood!!) but now they're best of friends. We call Alfie his boyfriend as Alfie likes to hump him.

Anyway.
What does everyone suggest? Is he dog aggressive, or is he just selective about the dogs he likes? I've been looking into trainers in our area; also my friend suggested introducing him to a muzzle so that we can walk him off lead without worrying about him harming another dog. But I've read that dogs actually feel more defensive/fearful with one on. I don't know what to do. My partner was really upset about Monday and was visibly quite shaken by what happened.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
WTF are they thinking , why would they not have a lead on him after they know he is dog aggressive. obviously he is dog aggressive I would tell him to watch him around even the dogs he gets along fine with cause that can chage too and fast. It slike seriously how many warnings do they need to get the hint? they shouldnt have this dog its really gonna be a bad scenario soon. and whos to say her dog wasnt the one who bit the guy when they fight it happens so fast and they dont realize what they are biting when you get in the middle. Bad , BAd, BAD

·
Registered
546 Posts
Well I don't have any advice for you but the first red flag for me is that this dog is never properly monitored and is always either off his lead or his lead isn't being used. The owner is letting the situations happen. a da dog needs to be kept under control. It could just be that the guys dog is da towards other da breeds. maybe they can tell.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what I replied to him:

Your dog is selective about the dogs he likes and is aggressive to the dogs he doesn't like.

1) He should never be off-leash again when there is even the remote possibility he might meet other strange dogs -- especially since he isn't responding to your recalls. Why are you setting him up to fail and get into fights? You need to be considerate towards other dog owners who aren't asking for there to be a selectively aggressive dog walking down the street, off leash and unresponsive to recall commands.

2) When you saw him "squaring off" or stiffening up, that was your cue to IMMEDIATELY grab him by the collar, not his leash and not trying to interrupt him with a sound. You have a dog that has gotten into multiple scraps with other dogs and needs to be safely contained and quickly when you even sense something about to happen. The collar is the quickest way to ensure that.

3) When he is on-lead, why are you allowing him to circle around and snap at other dogs? If another dog runs up to you guys, you should be stepping in front of Zak between him and the other dog so that Zak doesn't get the chance to do these behaviors.

What exactly are you doing to prevent him from snapping and getting in fights? Because, quite frankly, it doesn't sound like you're doing anything and that's going to get your dog killed for his aggressiveness and his breed.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
if zac is five years old then he probly hasnt been socialized very much and probly just doesnt get along with other dogs.... besides that after the first incident why would they take him anywhere without a leash on or lay it down on the ground?!?!

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I'd tell them.

Keep your dog away from other dogs. It is dog aggressive. Keep your dog on a leash that is held securely or attached to your body at all times when you are outside your home. If an off leash dog approaches your dog. Pick your dog up. Do not allow your dog to hump or be humped by other dogs. That is a dominant behavior and can cause a fight. Dog aggressive dogs can sometimes get along with other dogs, but it is an accident waiting to happen as they may decide one day that they don't like them anymore. Your dog does not need doggy "friends" you are enough company for him.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
UGGGHH ppl are dumb. My dog gets into fights when I take him off leash...... DUH don't take you DA dog off leash......
A dogs leash is their life line never take them off unless you have total control.
I mean total control that you can call them off a rabbit if one runs by, if not keep them on leash or take them to a fenced area to run with no other dogs.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I just shook my head reading this. Some people are just straight up ignorant or stupid.
As stated before, he is just being set up for failure by being off the leash, openly inviting a lawsuit & putting the dog in a potential situation that may have the dog destroyed.
People like this need to do research about the breed, any breed they get, before they get it or not have a dog at all. It`s one of the first thing you learn about the breed, they can be and most of the time are dog aggressive.

Tell them Go to Google and type in American Staffordshire Terrier (since they call the dog a "Staffy") and press enter.

·
Registered
859 Posts
He seems Dog agrressive and dominant. HE should never be off leash there's more accidents waiting to happen if that continues or don't get some control over their dog.

·
Registered
116 Posts
:hammer:Sounds like sumthing ugly in their future > lawsuit, loss of their dog, etc... We live in RURAL Tennessee, and Tia is put on a long line leash when we go out... H**L if a rube like me gets it that a city slicker should too!

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, the crazy thing guys ...

He lives in the UK. Where American Pit Bulls are ALREADY BANNED and I said his dog is a walking lawsuit and will get his dog killed for his breed and uncontrolled aggressiveness and lead to them banning Staffordshire terries.

And he said, they won't ban staffies, all heck would break loose.

Omg. :hammer::hammer::hammer: HOW THE HECK DO YOU THINK APBTS GOT BANNED YOU MORON.

LOLOLOL. :rofl::rofl:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.