Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like alot of people on here feed TOTW. Bellas breeder fed there dogs that but I didn't think it was that good compared to Blue buffalo or Orijen. I know BB had the recall last year for vitamin D but any food can have a recall....right? Even our food. Totw is cheaper than some of the other premium foods so I guess I always think you get what you pay for :confused: can someone enlighten me on totw :D I know I can google but I'd rather hear opinions of the food from GP people first hand ;) just curious. Not trying to start a food fight lol!

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
In terms of quality, Orijen > TOTW > Blue Buffalo.

Orijen is made from human-grade ingredients and is a type of diet known as BARK (biologically appropriate real-food kibble). Basically, they put real food that are human-grade quality into the kibble and they adjust the ratio of ingredients so that it is mostly meat, with some carbohydrates, fruits and veggies, and NO GRAINS because those are what dogs/wolves would eat in the wild to get all of their nutrients/minerals necessary.

Over the past few months, I've steadily graduated Kane up from BB to TOTW to Orijen. I could have left him on TOTW because he was doing fine on it, but since I've switched him to Orijen he seems to have a lot more energy (now, is this good or bad, LOL) and seems to be an all-around healthier dog. His skin looks a lot better -- and you know, I just like the sound of him eating human-grade quality ingredients and a diet that is appropriate for what he is -- a carnivore.

I don't see any issue with TOTW; I would say that it's a nicER entry-level dog food into the grain-free types of dog food and better than other grain-free dog foods like Merrick's Before Grain and etc.

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
In terms of quality, Orijen > TOTW > Blue Buffalo.

Orijen is made from human-grade ingredients and is a type of diet known as BARK (biologically appropriate real-food kibble). Basically, they put real food that are human-grade quality into the kibble and they adjust the ratio of ingredients so that it is mostly meat, with some carbohydrates, fruits and veggies, and NO GRAINS because those are what dogs/wolves would eat in the wild to get all of their nutrients/minerals necessary.

Over the past few months, I've steadily graduated Kane up from BB to TOTW to Orijen. I could have left him on TOTW because he was doing fine on it, but since I've switched him to Orijen he seems to have a lot more energy (now, is this good or bad, LOL) and seems to be an all-around healthier dog. His skin looks a lot better -- and you know, I just like the sound of him eating human-grade quality ingredients and a diet that is appropriate for what he is -- a carnivore.

I don't see any issue with TOTW; I would say that it's a nicER entry-level dog food into the grain-free types of dog food and better than other grain-free dog foods like Merrick's Before Grain and etc.
:goodpost::goodpost:

that is why I switched mine to Orijen aswell.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I plan on switching Badger to TOTW once he matures. Currently he is on Wellness for puppy because I like the protein level (lower) compared to other puppy foods. I would've went with TOTW right at the start, but I went with a puppy food rather than a life stages food (personal preference:)) Now, if TOTW turns to crap due to its pledge to go "commercial", then it's back to the drawing board. Really I think that they all have something to offer, but what matters the most is what our four legged friends think:) It can be a helluva guessing game sometimes, with alot of confusion mixed in when determining the right food for your pup! At least you're looking in the right food isle;)

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
TOTW is a good food for a good price. Its not the cream of the crop -- personally I like Nature's Variety Instinct for a top-notch grain-free food -- but it is one of the more affordable foods in the "pretty good" range. At least it always has been where I've seen it. My dogs did well on the pacific stream formula.

The availability of dog food varies by the area. I haven't looked into Orijen in a few years, but I couldn't even get it where I used to live. And the Blue Buffalo and Wilderness foods (exclusive to Petsmart) were pricey and Petsmart was not necessarily convenient to us. We had a lot of other good foods to choose from, like Nature's Variety, TOTW, Innova (and Evo), California Natural, etc. Have to also consider that some people who are feeding more dogs need something a little more, ah, cost-effective. While I (feeding 2 or 3 dogs) would never feed anything lower in quality than, say, Solid Gold, others who are feeding a dozen might not be able to afford a grain-free superfood. That's why its good that there are lots of options nowadays as far as food.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for your input :) going to a pet store and seeing all the dog foods on the shelf makes it so hard to decide what to feed. I've done alot of research on dog food over the years but the TOTW was new to me. BTW whatever happened to Innova evo? People used to always rave about that food a couple years back when I was on another forum. Last I heard proctor and gamble were buying them and people were afraid the quality was going to diminish.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I could be wrong but I think P and G did buy out Evo, Innova, California Natural, etc. You have to watch out more than ever, and it is a difficult (or easy) decision on what food to buy. You will find something good, no doubt;)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could be wrong but I think P and G did buy out Evo, Innova, California Natural, etc. You have to watch out more than ever, and it is a difficult (or easy) decision on what food to buy. You will find something good, no doubt;)
I believe we are both right about P and G :D I really do like the BB but if I can get my hands on Orijen then I may switch. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts