Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, again, pictures are not dog related. My oldest daughter found an abandoned nest in the yard by the driveway (it had been blown out of the tree). No sign of eggs or inhabitants of any kind, so I let her bring it inside so we could get some "abstract" photos of it. Since Photo Bucket has updated the editing tools/features, I decided to play around and do some comparison with Photo Shop's express editor. This is what I came up with...

Photo Bucket image #1

Photo Shop image #1

Photo Bucket #2

Photo Shop #2

Photo Bucket #3

Photo Shop #3

So, with them stacked on each other, can you really tell a difference in the editing quality between the two versions of each shot? I know the images are not that interesting to look at, but I figured it was worth a shot for my Still Life practice lol. The story I was trying to convey here is the complexity of what goes into building a solid, durable, safe nest (the challenge birds face). I have no idea what type of bird would've built this nest, but it's rather interesting, IMO, to look at how detailed they are in nest building.

·
Super Moderator
4,607 Posts
I like the photo shop ones better. I'm biased though, that's what my GF uses for EVERYTHING.

Ew birds nests and bugs.

Maybe sparrow or finch? looks small. Definitely intricate work though.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Hehe I am a graphic designer so editing stuff in photoshop is a regular occurrence for me :) I like the photoshopped ones better, it think it would look cool in black/white with a grain texture for an art appeal. :)

I THINK that is a robin's nest...

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
The Photoshop ones definitely look better ;)

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the photo shop ones better. I'm biased though, that's what my GF uses for EVERYTHING.

Ew birds nests and bugs.

Maybe sparrow or finch? looks small. Definitely intricate work though.
Lol Shanna! I used to have the full Photoshop CS5 (yeah, a few years ago) along with "The Photoshop Bible". I'm using the free express editor/photo storage, but it doesn't allow to copy/paste for sharing on sites like this one, so I have to download to the computer, then upload to photobucket to share them lol.

Hehe I am a graphic designer so editing stuff in photoshop is a regular occurrence for me :) I like the photoshopped ones better, it think it would look cool in black/white with a grain texture for an art appeal. :)

I THINK that is a robin's nest...
Thanks Coach. I tried a b&w version, but was not moved by it at all.

The Photoshop ones definitely look better ;)
Thanks mama!

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
honestly both are interesting but different. the photobucket could suffice if you dont have photo shop
lol

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Dave. That means alot to me, coming from you (the Phantom) lol.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Haha! Whatever works and moves the artist! :) good job!

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again Coach! I appreciate your input/compliments. The photo forum I'm on isn't as "friendly" as this place, lol. Harsh critique over there, but there's alot of novice and pro photographers on that forum, lol.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, I posted only the Photoshop versions of these pix on TPF (the photo forum), and these are the responses I received over there.

The white background really detracts from this photo, if you ask me. Something like this should probably be staged to look like it's in its natural environment, at least in the crotch of a tree or something. I'm also not sure about parts of the nest being out of focus. IMO, this is going to be a hard subject to get much of an artistic image out of.
You should not have let this much of light fall on them.... If you ask me i will choose #1

Regards
I wouldn't use the flash at all, it's making the image have shadows and glaringly bright spots. I like the middle one best, but why the ISO so high?
Maybe part of the problem was trying to use the lamp, flash, and sunlight. I'd go with just one light source.
I like the idea, but I agree about the white background... it's almost distracting...
By using the lamp and the window light you'll have a hard time getting the white balance right. Just something to keep in mind for future shots.
Not so harsh as the first time I posted pix over there... I had one person say that my images were just snapshots, and nothing worth looking at lol. Mach0 referred me to that forum, and forewarned me that I needed a thick skin over there, lol. I've responded to every comment/criticism with a Thank you lol.

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
That seems fairly harsh, I should join and post pics from disposable camera that I had in iraq, of me in a sand storm, the quality is terrible = )

I liked the ones you took. though because of my eyes, I prefer the photobucket ones.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol, thanks Vile! I have to say though, if I've survived on this here forum as long as I have, I don't think I'll have much problem over there, so long as I actually heed the advice/critique given on the composition/lighting of my photos and start producing better images. You're the only person to comment and say that you like the Photobucket editing better than Photoshop! They (PB) did away with my favorite font, but I found one just as clean and "professional" looking to use, so I guess it's okay lol. I don't like how the editing tool bar gets in the way of the image, though. It used to have a similar layout to PS, with the editing tools to the side of the image, and some going across the top frame, but now it's all at the bottom and you can't move it out of the way of what you're working on :( Oh, well. Such is life, huh?

·
Super Moderator
4,607 Posts
Your nicer then I would be.
I think the nest is an excellent choice for an artsy fartsy pick. Some had a good point about making it look more natural or whatever. But the concept of the nest is a very good choice. All the different lines and textures are perfect for pics.

·
401 Posts
You have to figure how my eyes focus, I have 20/11 left and 20/13 in my right eye. I see differently than most people, and not only that I can read a paperback book at about 20 feet.

But again my offer stands, if you need me to take some heat, Ill get on there and show them.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your nicer then I would be.
I think the nest is an excellent choice for an artsy fartsy pick. Some had a good point about making it look more natural or whatever. But the concept of the nest is a very good choice. All the different lines and textures are perfect for pics.
Lol Shanna, sticking to that bulldog mentality of mine! Thank you for your compliments.

You have to figure how my eyes focus, I have 20/11 left and 20/13 in my right eye. I see differently than most people, and not only that I can read a paperback book at about 20 feet.

But again my offer stands, if you need me to take some heat, Ill get on there and show them.
Wow! Must be nice to have vision like that. Mine is 20/25 in both eyes, and I have Astigmatism. I'm doing good to see the tv when I look up from the computer lol. I saw your pix in the Member Photo Thread, and commented. I appreciate the offer of support, and I thank you very much for that. From one Vet to another, we have to stand tall, right!? I wasn't a Marine, but I do have Semper Fi tattooed on my back (completely irrelevant but thought I'd throw that out there); it was my first tattoo, and I drew up the design myself and had it done on a dare from my older brother, who is a Jar head himself (I was Air Force, and wasn't getting "Aim High" inked on me).

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Haha! The only comment I agree with would be the one about using the flash... I don't understand why they don't like the white background! Would they prefer a dark one so that not as much is seen? A lot of art has light backgrounds... Anyway, to each his own. I am sure there are a lot of awesome photographers there and just like this site, you'll learn a lot by sticking around there like you are. :)

Speaking of photography, does anyone know a site where I can get a Nikon slr 5100 for a decent price? I am about ready to throw my current camera out! It takes horrible action shots, but great everything else..lol

·
401 Posts
Lol Shanna, sticking to that bulldog mentality of mine! Thank you for your compliments.

Wow! Must be nice to have vision like that. Mine is 20/25 in both eyes, and I have Astigmatism. I'm doing good to see the tv when I look up from the computer lol. I saw your pix in the Member Photo Thread, and commented. I appreciate the offer of support, and I thank you very much for that. From one Vet to another, we have to stand tall, right!? I wasn't a Marine, but I do have Semper Fi tattooed on my back (completely irrelevant but thought I'd throw that out there); it was my first tattoo, and I drew up the design myself and had it done on a dare from my older brother, who is a Jar head himself (I was Air Force, and wasn't getting "Aim High" inked on me).
The comment about getting "Aim high" inked is really funny, because my brother was air force, one night while drinking, I had my buddy ink it on his back. Though we were nice about paying for a cover up, we did wait 6 months before doing it.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Coach, try www.usedcameras.com They may have what you're looking for. My other digital camera I had, a Sony Cybershot, I got from them as a late mom's day gift for myself a couple years ago, and I only spent $60, free shipping, and had it within a couple days. It was gently used, and came with all accessories except a memory card. Including the disc to load extra editing tools on the computer, with extended PDF of the user manual. The site described it as having scratches on the body and LCD but I literally had to use a magnifying glass to see them.

Oh, and thanks for the compliments on my pix. I'm still in the learning stages, so every little bit helps.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The comment about getting "Aim high" inked is really funny, because my brother was air force, one night while drinking, I had my buddy ink it on his back. Though we were nice about paying for a cover up, we did wait 6 months before doing it.
LMAO! I would've died if I had to explain that to anybody (having had that inked on me for the rest of my life). I selectively choose all the ink that goes on me, and all have been drawn by myself, with the exception of Debo, my beloved APBT that passed almost 5 yrs ago now. He's on my right leg, on the outside of my calf. The artist I allowed to ink me is the one who drew him, but he did so from a photo I took of him when he was 10 mos old, so he still has that puppy look to him.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I'm jeaaalous, I want Photoshop.

It's a fantastic program. I use GIMP, poor man's version. :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts