Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone name's Chris from Philly. I have always had a lover of pitbulls and have decided it's time to get my first one, any and all help/suggestions is much appreciated.

I have a general idea of what I want as far as looks and style; a male either black and white, all white or blue, would like him to be stocky with a big ol' head, great temperment, good with kids, protective of the family, athletic and strong.

I don't really know all the diffrences of the bloodlines and things like that, which is what I am looking to educate myself on now.

I look forward to becomming an active member on this site and the proud owner of my first pure bred pitbull soon! :cheers:

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. If you are looking for a dog that is stocky with a big ol head you are not looking for a pit bull.

A true American Pit Bull Terrier is a slender athletic dog. If you are wanting a more heavy set dog you would want to look for an Amstaff or American Bully.

We have a bullies 101 section were you can learn abotu American Bullies and see if that is what you are looking for. Once you figure out which of the breeds you are wanting then you could look into bloodlines.

These are the physical differences in the breeds
AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER
UKC Breed Standard
United Kennel Club: American Pit Bull Terrier (Revised November 1, 2008)
ADBA
American Dog Breeders Association
NKC Breed Standard
apbt/astb standard
AADR Breed Standard- This registry will except the registration of non papered dogs, however they do also have legitimately registered dogs and do hold events.
http://www.aadrdogs.com/

The APBT comes in two different "styles"
UKC Standard Show/ working dogs- Some UKC Style dogs also do well when conditioned for the ADBA

ADBA Standard Dogs- These dogs are more to the original Game style dog.

AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER

AKC Standard- This standard calls for a defiantly black nose however blue nosed dogs are excepted.
American Kennel Club - American Staffordshire Terrier
NKC Standard
apbt/astb standard

AMERICAN BULLY
This is a newer breed stemming from the APBT. You will still often find them UKC and or ADBA registered as APBTS or Amstaffs, however they do know have their own registry.This breed since it is newer often lacks consistency. You will see some very well bred and proportioned and others with serious faults and lack of body type.
They also come in 3 variations, Smaller ones referred to as Pocket Bullies, Standard size Bullies and XXL bullies.
ABKC
American Bully Kennel Club - 2008
AADR
http://www.aadrdogs.com/

STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER
AKC Breed Standard
American Kennel Club - Staffordshire Bull Terrier
UKC Breed Standard
United Kennel Club: Staffordshire Bull Terrier
NKC Breed Standard
Staffordshire Bull Terrier

The APBT is the ONLY Pitbull however each of these breeds gets referred to as pitbulls and in the eyes of the media and BSL each of these breeds are classified and share the same fate as pitbulls.

Each breed has bloodlines, however you can not tell a bloodline by the look of a dog, you must have papers from a registry to know what bloodlines you have.

These dogs come in several colors and some can have either black, red, or blue noses, however this has nothing to do with breed, quality, pureness, or bloodline.

Some bloodlines like OFRN for example do produce red nosed dogs, but that doesn't mean a red nosed dog is of the OFRN bloodline.

Reactions: dmcfall13

·
Registered
901 Posts
Welcome. If you are looking for a dog to protect your family, this may not be the breed you are looking for unless you want an intruder to be kissed to death. Mine looks fierce to other's who don't know or understand the breed but it is shadowed by his wiggly butt. Good luck on any choice you make. Please post pics when you get your pup.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Welcome :) you found the right place to learn....that's for sure ;)

Reactions: dmcfall13

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

I have been searching all over for a dog that catches my eye....been looking for over a month everyday. I think I may have FINALLY found him!!!

The picture above is the father of the pup I am interested in. Would he be considered a normal American Pitbull Terrier or a Game style or....???

This picture is of the puppy I am very interested in

How does the puppy look, correct, no bad signs or anything....if anyone can tell....??

Thanks for the advice thus far everyone.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
He could be American Bully.The pedigree would give you the way the dogs has been bred. Does he have any titles that made him worth breeding? I would search for a breeder who is competing with their dogs and has dogs that meet its breeds standards.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Especially since you don't seem to knwo a lot about the breed, I'd suggest researching more first. Don't be insulted, I say this so you make sure you get a pup that will be the best fit for you and your family... not just one because it is a particular color.

If the parents aren't health tested titled or come from any sort of CH lines I'd look elsewhere or adopt a pup from the shelter or a rescue. There are plenty of blue dogs in rescue including pups. Color in my opinion should never be the main basis of picking a pup... temperament, structure, health , personality and drive come first then sure it is OK to have a color preference if everything else is good.

What does the dam look like to this pup. neither dog is stacked to tell what their structure is like...

Take a peek at this post:
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/9956-evaluating-picking-pup.html

and this one:
http://www.gopitbull.com/pitbull-articles/4745-finding-good-breeder-101-a.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The breeder is a vet tech who is EXTREMLY careful who she sells her pups to, she loves pitbulls and won't sell to anyone who isn't the same. She breeds only 1 liter a year and takes extremly good care of her dogs. They have very good temperment, great with kids, great physical condition and obey their master.

I am not 100% on the bloodline but iirc the pup has some razor's edge in it...good, bad ??

The father is about 80lbs and the mother iirc is about 65lbs.

I would like to train this dog and condition him to be a working, athletic dog....even possibly entering him into some contests once he is old enough and strong enough.

I would like him to be about 50lbs-60lbs and muscular.

This dog is definitly not from a Ch or a Gr Ch bloodline but that doesn't mean I can't make him into one right ? With the propper training and conditiong of course.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Being a vet tech and loving your dogs does not mean you should breed it. I am sorry but this person sounds like a back yard breeder. I have 6 female dogs and have not had a litter in 2 years and nothing planned. There is no reason to breed yearly when you are not even competing and proving the dog to be of any worth in breeding. It sounds to me like she owns neither breed but rather out of standard dogs that meet neither standard for APBT or American Bullies. She is breeding her house pets which is key to why these breeds are int he bad position they are in.

That does not mean you can not compete with the puppy however you would do much better getting a dog from a reputable breeder who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
They are ADBA registered if that means anything.

If the pup is not APBT registered can I get him registered, what is required to do so?

As I said they said he has razors edge in him...there is no bloodline like some people show on here that goes back 4 or 5 generations...would I need that to register him with the APBT?

Also they do not compete their dogs they just have a love of the breed, blue pits in particular. They own the male and a good friend of theirs owns the female, another vet tech, I will ask to see how long they have been breeding and why they started.

Thanks for suggestions.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Being a vet tech and loving your dogs does not mean you should breed it. I am sorry but this person sounds like a back yard breeder. I have 6 female dogs and have not had a litter in 2 years and nothing planned. There is no reason to breed yearly when you are not even competing and proving the dog to be of any worth in breeding. It sounds to me like she owns neither breed but rather out of standard dogs that meet neither standard for APBT or American Bullies. She is breeding her house pets which is key to why these breeds are int he bad position they are in.

That does not mean you can not compete with the puppy however you would do much better getting a dog from a reputable breeder who knows what they are doing.
I agree...

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
The mother is a cutie.
Even though it is hard to tell much in that picture of her on structure... I'd ask them for some stacked pictures of the dogs and pup, so we can actually give a better opinion on them

If the pup is not APBT registered can I get him registered, what is required to do so?
APBT is not a registry it stands for American Pit Bull Terrier

breed, blue pits in particular.
Breeding for color alone is not a good thing...

I would like him to be about 50lbs-60lbs and muscular.
Then why are you looking at a pup whose sire is 80lbs? That is something right there to consider.

This dog is definitely not from a Ch or a Gr Ch bloodline but that doesn't mean I can't make him into one right ? With the proper training and conditiong of course.
Of course you can try to do that, and certainly may title the pup eventually in something, but dogs with proper structure temperament and drive aren't just trained to be that way, it comes from their genetics first.

Just trying to help because you asked...

You obviously have to make the decisions for yourself. Like I said I think you should do a lot more research.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts