Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i haven't posted in a hot minute just kinda been lurking latly since i don't have a computer but i need some advice. I found a wonderful pit on the 4th of july and i have a question for our breeders. What are some of the signs a bitch is pregnant and how soon do can you tell. When i found her, her vulva was very swollen and i thought she was in heat but i haven't seen any blood then or since. her tets are saggy but seem to be empty if slightly full looking.

This girl is a wonderful dog and is obviously someones loved pet even if they didn't get her fixed, she is potty trained kennel trained knows sit, lay and will play fetch. I've been trying everything i could to find her owners including placing an ad in the newspaper and several times on craigslist. But so far i have not found her owner (but depressingly have had several several people contact me about there missing pits :( )

I made an appointment for august 11 to have her fixed because i alwasy wait at least 1 month before i fix and rehome a pet i have found. But i want to know if she is preggo will she make it that long cause? i really really don't want to come home to a kennel full of pups and if i don't find her owner would much prefer to get her fixed before she can deliver.

Anyway if anyone can tell me what to look for i would apprciate it!!!!

here are a couple of pics, I've just been calling her mama

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what are there symtoms and what changes about her first?

·
Registered
780 Posts
You should notice her belly growing around 1 month, i cant really think of any other signs at that point in pregnancy the tits dont really fill or anything till later than 1 month.

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes she is gorgous and has the most amazing temperment ever!!! see i got concerned becuase her belly looked like it was filling out and i didn't know if it was becuase i was just being to generous with feeding her or if it was becuase she had somethiong else in her abdomen :X

·
Registered
780 Posts
Our girls all look bloated when they are in heat and for a bit after, or like you said maybee you are simply feeding her more than she is used to.

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya i'm hoping so cause i seriously don't wanna have to deal with pups right now

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm still hopin i find her owner maybe i can convence them to keep her spay app, if not hopfully i can find her a good home she desevers the best!!!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Can you take her to the vet? they can usually tell a bit earlier depending , I know people say around the 28 day or earlier then can feel by palpatation and its like a walnut size lump they feelfor { I could never feel it when i tried but inexperience , a vet should be able to } or at the least xray but thats usually later on.I asked if you could cause I know when it isnt your dog spending money for smething like this may not be necessary , but could give you an answer and approx time frame if she is indeed prego. and maybe could work the spay around that date , bump it up if need be. have you contacted the local shelters?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
she looks well cared for , im sure someone out there is missing her :( . try craigslist as well? Glad you give it a good amount of time to look for the owners before jumping to get her fixed , your really a great person helping this girl out.

edit : just read you trying craigslsit , my bad lol I read that 1st time and it didnt sink in i guess lol.

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would be completly shocked if somone wasn't looking for her!!! despit 3 inch nail loaded with fleas and not fixed everything indicated she was well taken care of well at least loved and trained. she has an app next saturday to get her vaccines and exam all that stuff, preying she not heartworm postive cause another one of those is not in my budget right now.
humm no i haven't checked with my shelters i will call [email protected] tomorrow see if they have any reported missing dog that meet her discription

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
ya shelter is a good start , if my dog was missing that #1 number id call looking for her.

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i'm not surrendering her but i'll see about placing an ad there

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Could it be possible that she belongs to someone who was visiting in Fl and she might have gotten loose and they weren't able to find her and ended up returning home? I don't really know how CL works, but is it specific to your area, or can it be viewed by people in other locations as well by doing a simple search, or will the results be returned based on that person's location?

Also, could it be possible that she's already had a litter, and the owners dumped her after deciding to keep a pup, or something happened to the litter so they decided to dump her? Maybe the bloating was from over feeding, and the reason for her teets being saggy is due to a previous litter? IDK.. just trying to help you figure things out.

Maybe, if you have the time, take her picture to all the vets in the area and ask if any of them have treated her before and know who she might belong to or anything about her. Also have her scanned for a microchip as that will help identify her owner, if she is chipped.

I hope you find her owner, or a new responsible home for her, and that she's not pregnant. I praise you for what you do and I know you'll be repaid ten fold!

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
took her to the vet she says she is most likly pregant but if so in the early stages and will be fine to fix on the 11th if i haven't found her owner. i believe now more then ever someone must be looking for there beloved pet because ontop of someone speaning alot of tiome training this girl she know her sit, down, shake fetch doesn't jump ect. she is heartworm negative (something noncared for dogs is almost unheard of here, my last 5 rescues have had em) and has no worms. between that a nice coat and her overall temperment with people she has to belong to someone i just don't know who!!! :(
she is fairly dog aggressive and has a decent prey drive meaning yum yumm kitties, but there is not 1 scar on this dog (something i cannot say the same for my own girls) so obviously someone controled her or knew how she was so took precaution around other pets just something else to add somone missing there girl.

Could it be possible that she belongs to someone who was visiting in Fl and she might have gotten loose and they weren't able to find her and ended up returning home? I don't really know how CL works, but is it specific to your area, or can it be viewed by people in other locations as well by doing a simple search, or will the results be returned based on that person's location?

Also, could it be possible that she's already had a litter, and the owners dumped her after deciding to keep a pup, or something happened to the litter so they decided to dump her? Maybe the bloating was from over feeding, and the reason for her teets being saggy is due to a previous litter? IDK.. just trying to help you figure things out.

Maybe, if you have the time, take her picture to all the vets in the area and ask if any of them have treated her before and know who she might belong to or anything about her. Also have her scanned for a microchip as that will help identify her owner, if she is chipped.

I hope you find her owner, or a new responsible home for her, and that she's not pregnant. I praise you for what you do and I know you'll be repaid ten fold!
ya i looked for a chip the first day i found her and its a no go, i don' think she was dumped purly because she is well trained and so sooooo loving and looked well taken care of. she could have had a previous litter but who knows

PETFINDER! I'm not sure if anyone has suggested it yet but that's one of the programs they used after hurricane katrina hit. A ton of dogs in general have been reunited with their owners because of it :)

Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder
thank you!!! i will try this, i really think somone must be looking for there dog and it make me very sad cause i would be devisted if one of my girls went missing

You can get her an ultrasound that is what I am doing with Siren. She is 44 days along and I am not sure she took. All dogs handle pregnancy different and you might be able to tell but not till she is 40 days or so.
na i don't think i'll do that (can't really afford it just for curiousity sakes ya know) i just wanted to know what to look for, if she preggo she won't be for long unless i find her owner soon and they don't want to go through with the spay i set up

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks ya'll for your replies i'm still hoping to find this girls owner but i will keep you updated. if i can't find her owner maybe i can talk to Dave about placing her in the adopt a bull section next month :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts