Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently feeding her Blue Buffalo Chicken and Brown Rice Puppy and she loves it. But I have heard many good things about Taste Of The Wild and wanted to transition her to it in the future. I was wondering when you think it would be good to do the transition considering that TOTW does not make a puppy formula. Any Advise Greatly Appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
TOTW is actually an All Life Stage feed (ALS) so it's fine for pups and for adult dogs. I would maybe look into getting one of the lower protein formulas to start, like the Pacific Stream or Wetlands. Just make sure you transition slowly by slowly mixing the BB and TOTW before fully switching.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Is your pit blue? I would be cautious about the salmon pacific stream formula. Me and many people I know have blue dogs who have poor reactions to seafood. I also would suggest mixing the canned (wet) and bagged (dry) formula.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Is your pit blue? I would be cautious about the salmon pacific stream formula. Me and many people I know have blue dogs who have poor reactions to seafood. I also would suggest mixing the canned (wet) and bagged (dry) formula.
Really? Only blue dogs? I never heard that before.....is there an old thread about it? I was going to put Bella on Salmon oil and add it to her food.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I am currently feeding her Blue Buffalo Chicken and Brown Rice Puppy and she loves it. But I have heard many good things about Taste Of The Wild and wanted to transition her to it in the future. I was wondering when you think it would be good to do the transition considering that TOTW does not make a puppy formula. Any Advise Greatly Appreciated!
My personal opinion is I would leave your dog on blue buffalo and switch over to grain free blue buffalo called wilderness. I have had my pup on it since she was 4 months and she does great on it. I'm not a fan of TOTW as diamond foods makes it. Diamond was one of the brands responsible for the melamine recall that killed many pets a few years back. BB had a vitamin D scare last year. There was to much added to some of the foods. Obviously both issues have been resolved. I personally like the fact that blue is a small family owned company and they use quality ingredients. Don't get me wrong TOTW has good ingredients but there is always better :) I fed Bella totw for a short time but she didn't do well on it. Plus once I found out that diamond made it I no longer wanted to feed it anyways. Again, just my opinion and observation. You can feed what you feel is best :D

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Many on this forum don't even feed puppy food. You can start your dog on TOTW whenever. Geisthexe (one of our mods and health guru) recommends switching your puppy's kibble the following way:

• Start out 1/2 old kibble and 1/2 new kibble for 3-5 days.

• Get yourself some Pumpkin pie filler and add a tablespoon to each feeding as it will help keep the stool firm and your puppy should adjust easily to the new kibble.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many on this forum don't even feed puppy food. You can start your dog on TOTW whenever. Geisthexe (one of our mods and health guru) recommends switching your puppy's kibble the following way:

• Start out 1/2 old kibble and 1/2 new kibble for 3-5 days.

• Get yourself some Pumpkin pie filler and add a tablespoon to each feeding as it will help keep the stool firm and your puppy should adjust easily to the new kibble.
Appreciate the feedback. I will follow this method and post back on how it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts