Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my girl Jade since she was 5 weeks old. Shes always been very active and hyper. I didnt have any trouble house training or teching her simple commands. She has been a great family pet. I got my male when he was 6 weeks old. They have grown up together and always got a long. We just recently brought in a kitten. They both like the kitten as well. My problem is Jade turned 2 about 4 months ago. Ever since she turned 2 shes acting very bad. She wont follow simple commands that she has been following since she was a puppy. She seems more agressive than ever. When ppl come in my house I have to crate her because she narks and growls so viciously it scares everyone. She growled at my 6 year old the other day for no reason. She still gets along fine with my male and the kitten but shes scaring the heck out of me!! I have never feared any dog and I have owned 4 pits in my lifetime. She hasnt tried to bite anyone but the other day she was playing outside in our yard and one of my daughters friends came in the yard and she growled at her and chased her back out of the fence. This is not normal behavior for her. I hate to even think about putting her down but I cant live with a dog that I fear. When she growled at my daughter it almost caused a big problem because my male got up and I thought he would attach her. Shew I havent ever seen this happen and I have worried myself sick over this. Can anyone please tell me what to do? I am so confused.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
your right when you said it almost caused a problem its one of the many things that dog fights break out over. At 2 years old she is just maturing and there may be a dominance issue here doesnt sound like she looks at you or your family as the boss , Id really look into a trainer if I were you someone who knows the breed { not a petsmart trainer lol}. At 2 years old you may even see DA { dog aggression or even animal aggression} start to appear more. Not sure what your set up is but if you arent able to supervise or when noone is home I would deff have the dogs crated seperately and away from the kitten , you could come home to a blood bath if you leave the dogs out together or one of them out with the cat. They may get along fine but it takes 2 seconds for fine to go to bad and it has happened to alot of us on here its just in there genetics. Human aggression shouldnt be tolerated so her growling and being aggressive to people should not be tolerated , Id deff have a trainer come help you with her , if you cant fix this problem euthanizing should be the option BEFORE rehomming. { you can talk to performance kennel im sure she will be on here but she knows of some trainers maybe one near you}

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Have a trainer evaluate her!!! If this is truly HA human aggression you need to put her down. Its sadbut nessisary for the safety of othets especially the children. Talk to lisa and good luck!

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I know there are quite a few people that will probably disagree with me here,but the minute she would have growled at my child or another child I would have had her PTS.There is no room in my family for a dog like that.Even if there is something medically wrong with a dog I will not tolerate it acting like that towards my kids.Their safety comes first.And you cannot rehome her and risk her falling into wrong hands and biting someone else.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Even if there is something medically wrong with a dog I will not tolerate it acting like that towards my kids.
I don't understand this viewpoint. And I'm not trying to start anything, just trying to understand. If a dog has something medically wrong with it, that it can't control, then why would you just PTS the dog instead of trying to fix it? There are steps you can take to manage the situation so nothing happens to your kids in the meantime. It's like saying that someone who has seizures should be PTS because they started thrashing around and knocked into someone.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
I don't understand this viewpoint. And I'm not trying to start anything, just trying to understand. If a dog has something medically wrong with it, that it can't control, then why would you just PTS the dog instead of trying to fix it? There are steps you can take to manage the situation so nothing happens to your kids in the meantime. It's like saying that someone who has seizures should be PTS because they started thrashing around and knocked into someone.
Because only someone with a blatant disregard for there childs saftey would take the risk and endanger there child like that. Imho

Reactions: Xiahko

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
see im between you 2 , Id want to look into medical issues or training behaviour this sounds like a dog that hasnt had proper boundarys and leadership and is now challenging this, But would I have this dog in the yard or running free with my kid ? NO , the dog would be inthe kennel away from other dogs and other people other then myself. I would work the dog seperatley in order to keep my kids safe. I wouldnt be quick to euthanize in this case especially with the only aggression being some growls , may be different if it was more then that and full out aggression. But I wouldnt have rehomming as an option.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Because only someone with a blatant disregard for there childs saftey would take the risk and endanger there child like that. Imho
What Aireal and Dixie said.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
As Dosia matured and turned 2 he became more DA, and we had to do a lot more to keep up his training but he has never once acted aggressive to us, our son, or friends coming to the house. If there is something wrong with the dog mentally, or if it is truly HA sadly being PTS is the best thing for every one involved. If the dog is HA then as Dixie said re homing the dog would be irresponsible, as it could hurt someone else or their children. Go to a professional trainer and have the dog evaluated, then you can take the next step to either PTS or do some serious training.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I dont understand why everyone is talking about rehoming putting the dog down or what not, before you even think of any thing like that what you should do is get a behaviorist over and see whats up. That will ultimately determine the outcome of your next decision. Meanwhile you need to correct your dog when ever it growls or barks etc..Make sure your dog see you as the Alpha in the home.:)

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
We are all saying PTS if the dog is truly HA. HA is not a trait in this breed and is most often the result of bad breeding. Knowing how strong and powerful this breed is it would be the best this to PTS if the dog is truly HA. Rehoming the dog just pawns the problem off on someone else, it doesn't fix it.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Never correct for growling. Growling is valuable communication. It's a warning the dog is uncomfortable/anxious/whatever and you need to back off. If you correct for growling, it will stop growling, and go straight to biting.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Never correct for growling. Growling is valuable communication. It's a warning the dog is uncomfortable/anxious/whatever and you need to back off. If you correct for growling, it will stop growling, and go straight to biting.
I'm gunna have to disagree here. I would never let the dog growl at my child, not correcting is making it ok for the dog to continue this behavior and that is wrong.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
The dog growls, you know something is going on and can immediately fix the situation.

If the dog growls and you keep correcting, it will stop growling, yes. But the next time it feels the urge to growl to express how uncomfortable it is, it will remember being corrected for it and, to avoid the correction, won't growl. So you don't know how uncomfortable the dog is becoming. Eventually, you push it too far and the dog finally snaps and bites.

Yes, pits are not bred to bite. But they're also dogs, and if you take away one valuable communication like growling, what else do they have to communicate and express their point? It's either growling or biting, and I, for one, would rather have them growl than have them feel like they have to resort to biting because they were punished for growling.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Also, correcting the dog for growling isn't fixing the real issue of why it growled. You're just telling the dog that if it growls, it will be corrected/punished. The point is to figure out why the dog felt the need to growl, not to tell mask the problem by telling it it can't growl.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
You cannot even compare the two.
There are too many good animals that need good homes than to waste time on an unstable dog,and hope it doesn't happen again.IMHO there is no reason whatsoever for a dog to growl at child,especially if the child does nothing to warrant such behaviour.And you not only need to consider what happens to your dog,but everybody else's should something happen.The last thing this breed needs is more unstable dogs running around,

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
IMO correcting the dog for aggression towards the child was the right thing. If she didn't then the dog might have bit. There is a huge difference between a dog that growls at noises and a dog that growls at it's family.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
IMO correcting the dog for aggression towards the child was the right thing. If she didn't then the dog might have bit. There is a huge difference between a dog that growls at noises and a dog that growls at it's family.
I agree.There would have been a whole lot of correcting if it had been me.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Exactly. I can see not correcting a dog that growls at noises or at the door, but when the dog is showing aggression and growling at it's family members and kids, that is in no way ok and that behavior needs to be corrected and stopped.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts