Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is going on lately not only on this board but many others as well, people comming on asking what they can do or who has a remedy for something that obviously needs to be seen by a vet ASAP? I dont know is it not common sense if your dog isnt eating or drinking and throwing up that you dont maybe go to the vet? seen a post the other day on another forum someone asking what they should do there dog is having seizures { never had them before } hmmmm hard to think of what to do.
I can see if its a rash , or flea question , or a lump ya its not life threatning for the moment but if its something gonna cause dehydration or a serious issue why not call the vet instead of sitting online waiting for someone to answer you? we spend a good amount when we buy these dogs { atleast most do} and all the money into shots and care ect why would you not spend the money when they seriously need it? its part of owning a dog or any pet for that matter. I understand times are hard right now for some but none of our dogs asked to be where they are you took them in and with that comes the responsibility of giving them proper care.
I dont know if its just me but my dogs would get care and food before I do my kids and animals come wayy before my own needs.
Sorry for the rant just seeing alot of posts lately that scream common sense to me yet obviously its not :S

Reactions: Lex's Guardian

·
Registered
776 Posts
I knooooww?!?!!? It makes so angry when I see threads like that I just wanna kick ppl. Thank you for saying something Angel - mad props girl!
Sometime , the vent is not immediatly availiable and people just want asome kinda input . Like you just cant sit and do nothing till the vet apptment or whatever .. its a anxiety thing.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Some people also can not afford the vet and help from forum is the best chance they have of helping the dogs. When I was 16-18 I had more dogs than I should have and couldn't afford vet care and was helped by several forums on how to treat parvo and mange. Should I have had dogs? No most defiantly not, but I did and I did do what I was capable to do to care for them to the best on my knowledge which was very limited at the time.

Reactions: 9361

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont know I guess I just dont know how that is , whenever I have had emergencys like thatmy vet gets me in like NOW , Im lucky that way he is very accomodating to when I need to get in. But I think most times they havent even called a vet { some have and they put that in the post} but there are those who just think ahh there are people here who know what they talking about maybe there is some majic cure they will tell me about so I dont have to spend money. I see it on craigslist alot too that makes me so mad. There was a lady on there the other dayher dog had been hit by a car and she was asking what she can give for pain cause he may have pulled something as he was limping .....Like serious? never even thinking about internal damage that may have been done , some people I swear :(

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there are alot of options out there for vet care from payment options to pet insurance and cards you can apply for for the use of vet care . I dont know just me but I feel like If you cant afford to get proper care for your pet so they are not in pain then you shouldnt own them. I think making a dog sit in pain because you cant afford it is just another form of animal abuse. I dont know if its the same in anyone elses area but here the vets will take in surrenders when a dog needs help and the owner cant afford.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
If you can't afford a vet you can't afford a dog & shouldn't have one...PERIOD. A forum is no place to supplement for vet care.

As for anxiety - that I can understand but complete strangers are going to judge & think you're irresponsible, possibly harshly. That's where communicating with your breeder or vet & discussing your concerns come into play...

A forum is a great place to learn more about your breed, get ideas on how to better exercise, get better food & discuss commonalities. Talk to ppl about how they dealt with similar health issues but there's a fine line when it comes to supplementing for vet care.

Edit:
As for me I don't want advice coming from someone that isn't professionally licensed to give proper medical advice that could potentially risk my dogs health & well being.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
I know exactly what you are talking about Rangel. It is the people who come on and say "my dog is profusely bleeding and its guts are falling out. Is there a home/quick fix for this." I am not referring to anyone on this forum and neither is Rangel. Unfortunately common sense is an oxymoron as "sense" is not so common. This particular case of seizures she is talking about had happened a few times and then advice was sought before a vet was considered. What irks me is some people spend astronomical amounts of money on a dog and then won't spend a couple of hundred to seek medical help, especially when needed.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I guess you could look at this in many different ways. People loose jobs, go through financial difficulties, they may not have the best of credit do to certain circumstances. Some vet's will work out payment plans but many will not. Some of us are fortunate with the knowledge to be able to treat certain things at home. While other's take their pet's to the vet for every little thing and end up spending a fortune. I have closed wounds at home, I have treated infections at home. Some of us know how to treat our animals at home and feel comfortable doing so. I am not saying vet's are not there for a reason but I personally can treat my dog's for most things. Unless it requires major surgery, or extensive testing for autoimmune disorders, cardiac problems, x-rays, or other like illness that would require life long medications. I am completely comfortable and knowledgable enough to treat many things at home. I have enough common sense to know when I need a vet's assistance. But there are not too many things I can't do. Of course it's always best to have an onsite vet and a relationship with a vet in case of emergency.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
I have 6 vets in my town and at least 10 in the town 25 mins from here and not one takes payment plans. Either you have the money or your dog does not get treated. Not every persons town works like yours where people actually care about helping animals. It is also $50 to "surrender" a dog here as well.

I fully agree that if you can afford them you shouldn't own them, but that doesn't change the fact that people do own them and need help with their animals.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
If you have read some old dog man books you will see they were able to stature wounds, run Iv's, things that most people would require a vet for. It's all in the person's ability and knowledge base. A person who has no idea what they are doing needs a vet. But there are certain circumstances where one may not be able to afford a vet and I can understand that and if I am able to help them I will.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
I guess you could look at this in many different ways. People loose jobs, go through financial difficulties, they may not have the best of credit do to certain circumstances. Some vet's will work out payment plans but many will not. Some of us are fortunate with the knowledge to be able to treat certain things at home. While other's take their pet's to the vet for every little thing and end up spending a fortune. I have closed wounds at home, I have treated infections at home. Some of us know how to treat our animals at home and feel comfortable doing so. I am not saying vet's are not there for a reason but I personally can treat my dog's for most things. Unless it requires major surgery, or extensive testing for autoimmune disorders, cardiac problems, x-rays, or other like illness that would require life long medications. I am completely comfortable and knowledgable enough to treat many things at home. I have enough common sense to know when I need a vet's assistant. But there are not too many things I can't do. Of course it's always best to have an onsite vet and a relationship with a vet in case of emergency.
I can agree with that. I don't take Kangol to the vet for every little thing anymore as I am more knowledgeable than I used to be and the fact that he is a lazy bum making it hard to to get seriously injured while sleeping lol

Key phrase: ENOUGH COMMON SENSE TO KNOW IF YOU NEED A VET'S ASSISTANCE!

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Yes if your dog has one eye falling out you need to take that dog to the vet ASAP! Not sign onto go pitbull.com to ask us what you should do. Unless you need help locating a vet in the area or someone who might take payment plans you should be calling every vet in town pleading with them to help you even if you can't afford it. Some vets have a heart.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
My thing is... If someone drop 15gs on a dog or 2 or 6 (yes EACH!) he or she should certainly be able to drop $300 at the vet or they need to reassess their situation.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Yes if your dog has one eye falling out you need to take that dog to the vet ASAP! Not sign onto go pitbull.com to ask us what you should do. Unless you need help locating a vet in the area or someone who might take payment plans you should be calling every vet in town pleading with them to help you even if you can't afford it. Some vets have a heart.
Word home slice!

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Sometime , the vent is not immediatly availiable and people just want asome kinda input . Like you just cant sit and do nothing till the vet apptment or whatever .. its a anxiety thing.
There aren't 24/7 emergency vets where you live:confused:...

There's a difference between irresponsiblity & anxiety. I'm not talking about the ppl who really care for their animals & need to vent - that's TOTALLY different. I talking about someone coming on here & trying to cheap their way out.

My words always get misinterperted on here, like now. No way I would look for medical advice when something simple gets misconstrued - ya know? It happens all the time - there are so many variables to consider when it comes to medical advice - which is why it needs to come from a vet.

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Common sense doesn't exist. If it were to be truly common sense- it would become common knowledge rather than the exception to the rule.

On another note- although many ppl may feel differently- I feel you should not own a pet if you cannot financially support them.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
My thing is... If someone drop 15gs on a dog or 2 or 6 (yes EACH!) he or she should certainly be able to drop $300 at the vet or they need to reassess their situation.
Forgot to add IF VET ASSISTANCE IS SERIOUSLY NEEDED

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Yes you have no business splurging on dog's and skimping on medical care. If I spend that kind of money on a dog you best believe I am going to pay out the money to make sure the dog doesn't die. It's like buying a horse they are not cheap and require a lot of care. If you have enough funds to drop 2+ grand on a dog you should have enough money to pay for their medical expenses. Or your priorities are all backwards and your spending more than you can afford. Like people who buy BMW's then can't afford to pay for the insurance LMFAO!!!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know exactly what you are talking about Rangel. It is the people who come on and say "my dog is profusely bleeding and its guts are falling out. Is there a home/quick fix for this." I am not referring to anyone on this forum and neither is Rangel. Unfortunately common sense is an oxymoron as "sense" is not so common. This particular case of seizures she is talking about had happened a few times and then advice was sought before a vet was considered. What irks me is some people spend astronomical amounts of money on a dog and then won't spend a couple of hundred to seek medical help, especially when needed.
:goodpost:exactly what I meant lol there are things not needing a vet that pplcan come ask but when its life or death cmon now lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts