Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9 month old pitbull male who is about 49 pounds and definitely underweight since i had adopted him from a shelter a few weeks ago, I have been feeding purina puppyfood because the higher quality would be too rich for a shelter dog right away but i am going to be slowly switching him over to TOTW as I have heard great things but I am confused as to what formula to use, any suggestions?

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
49lbs is actually a decent weight at 9 months if he's 100% apbt. I use TOTW & feed to medium dog proportions because APBT's are not a large breed. They are larger for medium size dogs & small for large breed - which I think is a perfect size. As for formula, personally like the lamb but it just depends for your dog, great food choice btw.

Any pics you can show of him to see why you think he's underweight?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I usually just buy whatever formula I'm in the mood for, they seemed basically the same to me just different protein sources but is that a bad idea?

Anyway Loki's favorite is Pacific Stream I think it is? Lovess it. It's the one made with Salmon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont have any pictures where you can tell that hes underweight but you can see most of his ribs and a bit of spine but its really not too bad hes gained 4 pounds in this 3 weeks that ive had him and thats just from one cup in the morning and one cup at night which is recommended for his weight and I am not sure if he is 100% apbt considering that he came from the pound but here is a pic of him just in case

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Idk... it's not a great full body picture but I imagine if i took one of Loki from the same angle it would look very similar. He doesn't look underweight to me. I can see Loki's ribs and spine right now and nobody's ever said anything about him being underweight.

Beautiful dog though! What's his name?

Since he's 9 mos he might be going through an awkward stage where he looks skinny for his size but he looks very happy and healthy in that pic. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah hes great he runs and has alot of fun and is a very loving dog...his name is Romeo and he seems to be fine and has alot of energy so Im not worried

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Romeo! What a great name for a pit bull.

Personally, I feed TOTW High Prairie. I have tried the formula with duck but I didn't care for the results. I don't believe we've tried the Pacific Steam but we are happy with the HP so why change? Loki has a very sensitive digestive tract so we try not to switch it up if we can avoid it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
My dogs prefer the canned taste of the wild in the yellow can...I think its buffalo formula? The salmon/seafood one made them really sick...but definitely try the canned taste of the wild. I prefer it to the bagged kind.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
I feed the Pacific Stream. Helena loves the taste and the omega's from the fish make her coat super shiny!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts