Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I’m new to this and hoping it some good feedback my name is Jessica my Pitbull is 2 years old and his name is Thor. I was woundering if anyone could tell me what this on my dogs tail. there is what seems to be 2 white bumps they are dry and crusty and a bit lower some of his hair is gone and the skin is also dry and crusty .Also he gets these scabs could it be he’s allergic to the food I’m giving him?any feed back will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,579 Posts
It's possible it's the food. Food is the easiest thing to change to see if that's the issue. Try grain free and fish based for a month or two and see if it helps. In the meantime a little organic coconut oil as a topical will probably help as well. Fish oil and coconut oil rotated out as a supplement will also help with dry skin.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Or it could be Staphylococcal dermatitis or even an allergic reaction to insect bites. There is also Staphylococcal hypersensitivity (allergy) to the normal amount of Staph present on the skin. Staphylococcal dermatitis can develop as a result of food allergies.

When in doubt, have the vet take a look. Your vet would do a skin scrape and culture to determine if/which staph if it won't clear it up quickly with ointment and dietary oil(s).

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
i think the other suggestions are more likely. but...
there is a condition known as "stud tail". clinically called supracaudal hyperplasia. it's caused by an overactive gland at the base of the tail. most common in unaltered males but possible in any dog.
my boy started having very similar symptoms around 1.5yo... bald spots. crusty patches. inflammation. black heads. scaly and flaky skin.
basically the excretions cause blockage of the hair follicles on the tail. leading to growth of bacteria and pyoderma.
IF this is what your dog has, you can start by gently exfoliating the tail with a bristle brush. washing with antibacterial soap (real medicated stuff, not like soft soap). let it dry then apply coco nut oil. maybe 2 times per week.
my boy recovered in about 5 weeks. after that i made sure to brush his tail and it never came back. he is 9 years old now. he has 2 small bald spots. but barely noticeable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts