Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. So I have been taking Whitman to an obedience class to get him to work on his leash manners and ignore other dogs. The dog trainer specializes in pit bulls and runs Our Pack, a pit bull rescue group.

Well while we were in the small (about 10 dogs or so) beginner group, there was a lady with a male there who would bark at her and the trainer said to ignore him as that was his way to try to demand her to give him attention.

I have a feeling as it may have rubbed off on Whit even though he was paying attention to me for 90% of the class. There were a few moments when he would lose concentration of course, but I was able to quickly regain his attention. Is it possible that he could have learned that within the hour? My gf's dog (7 yr old female) does it a lot too towards her folks and Whit has been around her almost every weekend since 8 weeks and hasn't done it much. Could he just now start doing it from learning it from her? Just wondering which would be more likely where he learned it.

He has sometimes done low, growls/noises (the "rooooo roooo" type) before and maybe small little barks, but now he's more vocal and in turn, much more annoying lol.

I know to ignore him and pay him no attention when he acts like a brat, but is there anything else I can do to curb this bad habit?

Thanks a bunch :)

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
A lot of dogs don't need to be told off this forcefully. If I'd done this with Kane, he would have shut down and cowered away from me and I would have lost a lot of respect and trust in his eyes because that is a harsher telling off than what is warranted.

Ignoring is really the best way to go. Especially if Whitman is doing it for attention. When he starts up barking, don't even give him eye contact, don't tell him no, don't do absolutely anything directed towards him. If he's learned to bark for attention, it has to get worse before it gets better. It's called an extinction burst. The dog knows that this way has worked before and now that it isn't getting them attention, they try even harder, barking louder, barking closer, barking longer, whatever. You just have to wait them out and ignore it and eventually he'll realize that no amount of barking is going to get him what he wants, even if he is an Amazing Super-Duper barker.

It took Kane two days to learn that. :)

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice guys :)

·
Banned
835 Posts
fear last longer than love.
it's quick, effective, and direct...i don't have the time or
patients to "wait" for results, and hope the dog corrects
itself. you can wish in one had and crap in the other, see
which one gets filled first.
abuse? sure, whatever gets you to sleep at night.
BTW, i like a colorful spotted dog, i get to be an artist,
a god, and friend of the neighborhood all at once. =]~

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
I completely disagree with everything you've said in this post, I believe you get a dog more willing and eager to work when they respect you out of love and not fear (never seen anyone who works their dog treat their dog like you advocate to get them to work/listen) ....

But I LOLed at that one. lololololol Padlock.

·
Registered
31 Posts
you don't need to put your dog to the ground or bite its nose. thats a really good way to teach your dog to be scared of you. but you do need to teach him not to be a punk and demand stuff from you which is what he's doing. try a spray bottle with just water in it and spray him to correct him for barking at you. that way your not giving him what he wanted (your attention) because you don't even have to move or look at him to correct him and your showing him that he can't get away with acting out. also the spray is coming from the bottle and is not associated with your touch which should be kept mostly as a positive thing.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
try a spray bottle with just water in it and spray him to correct him for barking at you. that way your not giving him what he wanted (your attention) because you don't even have to move or look at him to correct him and your showing him that he can't get away with acting out. also the spray is coming from the bottle and is not associated with your touch which should be kept mostly as a positive thing.
Just a note, Eric, that this may not work for one of two reasons. 1) It may not be harsh enough (as Whitman would still be getting a reaction from you), and 2) he may enjoy being squirted with water. I tried this method with Kane and he loved it. He would bark just to get sprayed in the face, sneaky dog, but I caught on quick and abandoned it as a method of punishment or discipline, and turned it into the game it already was for Kane.

·
RateMyPitbull.com Moderator
4,389 Posts
He barks to get attention. If you give him attention, you encourage the barking. Ignore to discourage it. It is hard to do and will take a couple of days, but it is the best way to go.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Alright....the spotted dog thing made me crack a smile but I still don't agree with your crazy corrections. I'm sure your a great person but you come across harsh and negative in some of your posts. I guess i just don't know how to take you lol! Anyways, I will just "leave it" and walk away ;)

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Man you got me laughing so hard I'm crying here!

He barks to get attention. If you give him attention, you encourage the barking. Ignore to discourage it. It is hard to do and will take a couple of days, but it is the best way to go.
This is actually the best advice. Good post SJ.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Nice one Mike had me in stitches, im sadistic as hell once i seen it cringe id just punish it for the look on its face to see a brown spot on its back turn bright green.

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome, thanks for all the advice everyone. I've been completely ignoring him when he does it, and he's starting to do it a little closer since he sees it's not working haha. Hopefully within the next few days, he understands that it wont work at all :)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I would not ignore him for that behavior I would correct him. Pop his leash and tell him no. If he understands that will give him a correction then he wills stop. I hate this new ignore them type training, let him know he is wrong he wills stop. Now your level of correction depends on the dog, you may need a soft pop or a hard jerk on a prong collar it just depends. You want a correction hard enough to stop the behavior but not hard enough to shut the dog down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.