Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was reading the comments on how pretty Vendetta is in her irthday thread I started rembering when I got her. I was so happy to get her I had to have Chalice put down a couple of month before ( she was showing signs of HA) My Mikado was ill ( kidney failure). My sister saw the poster for her on the grocery store wall. We called and I got her for 50$ yes from a BYB. There are alot of them around here. I posted on another forum about her and I received so much grief. I was told she was ill-bred. I shouldn't have gotten her. She would have been better off dead and pretty much told that because of me BYB would never go away.

Yes she is from a BYBer does that mean she is any less of a dog? She is a fine example of an APBT. She is everything I could want in a dog.

It hurt me to think that anyone could look at her sweet face and say she didn't deserve a good home and a chance at a good life.

Just felt like venting alittle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think it helps stoke folks ego to put someone else (or dog) down. Take it in stride! I personally find it humerous when someone who knows nothing of a dog says it should be "put down." It says a lot about that person and nothing about your dog.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Didn't you know? This is the age of the Keyboard Commando! The internet has allowed numerous people that still live in their mommy's basement to be able to type what ever they want and sound "tough". Fact is that most people that say things like that would never have the cojones to say that to someone's face.

Don't let it get you down. Vendetta is beautiful. You love her and that's all that matters.

·
Registered
411 Posts
People sometimes get caught up in the "Big Picture" politics and lose their perspective. Vendetta is an individual dog and she deserves to have a good home. I think every dog and every human deserve that, regardless of their breeding, background or appearance.

In the "Big Picture" perfect world no one would ever buy a dog from a back yard breeder or a pet shop and the puppy mills and BYB would go out of business and we'd all be better off for it. But, in the real world there are innocent dogs and puppies that through no fault of their own are already born.

I've found that a lot of people have very strong opinions regarding things that affect them only tangentially, but when those very same things affect them directly they change their position a 180 degrees. Some people talk big about what other people should do until that abstract situation actually lands on their own doorstep.

Add that to the anonymity of the internet and you can get a perfect environment for "meanness". Don't let 'em get you down. You, as an individual, faced with a real life situation, made the right choice and have been rewarded for it.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Bernie came from a BYB with the belly big as a weiner dog and his hips and spine popping out. At the bully forum everyone was talking down to me because I saved him and they told me I was pretty dumb for not getting a real Bully bred dog. I know how you feel but be proud of your doggy, papers and titles do not make a dog, their heart and loyalty does :)

·
Registered
859 Posts
I had taken my dogs from a BYB once since he wasn't taking care of her and I'm the type to rescue a dog from a freeway which I have :/ my cocker spaniel. MY BYB dog (gizmo) was a good dog and was a great companion. Sometimes it's very rewarding to rescue these dogs and have them turn alright. I know some of them can come woth a lot of issues but that isn't their fault. And vendetta is ADORABLE :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
sound slike she came from a bad environment but ended up in a loving home , how could she not be a great dog i'd be forever grateful if someone recued me from that environment as well. I think every dog has a purpose in life wheather its showing, working , rehabilitating someone physically mentally or emotionally { these so called house pets often do alot more then meets the eye } I dont think its anybodys place to judge a dog by appearance or where they come from if they do maybe its to cover up there own jealousy and in securitys they have about there dogs.

Reactions: MY MIKADO

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
That why I have loved this forum compared to others.

I have no patience for people who act that way towards someones animal.

Reactions: MY MIKADO

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Agreed!

I believe it was you who commented on my thread describing my experiences in getting Roxie and Kane, who are both from a BYB. I've heard from many people on other forums the same things you have, that my dogs don't "count", that I'm a horrible person for "supporting the industry".

Honestly, these dogs are the best things that have ever come into my life. I live and breath for them and they do the same for me. I got my dogs to be DOGS, not to be a living example of the APBT breed standard. And the fact that I got two pups from one BYB, two pups covered in fleas, full of worms, and being killed by their own mother (which I view as 'saving' them), doesn't mean I support the industry of BYB -- maybe if I exclusively bought pups from BYBs, sure. But I don't.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Since this thread is asking for oppinions, i'll voice mine as nicely as possible.

You know I believe vendetta is a very special girl, has provided you with some comfort in your heart after the passing of Chalice and Mikado... She has done phenominal in training, and is an asset to the bulldog world... and she deserves everything you have to offer... on the same hand..

It is super disheartening when someone who has been such an advocate for the breed as well as rescue their entire life goes against everything they preach about believing in... Purchasing a BYB dog. In a sense I am glad she's in your hands, but on the same note it is quite confusing and contradicitory to the public what your morals truely are when you have belonged to a website like this for so many years with so many posts... the Logo's motto in the top left hand corner of this site says promoting responsibility, increasing awareness, and doing what needs to be done. Ignorance is one thing... buying a dog out of the paper, craigslist, off the side of the road when you don't know any better... but having the knowledge as well as all of the necessary tools to aquire a well bred dog cheap if not free just off of this website is alone is just.... frustrating.

We've preached for many years just because a dog is loving, loyal, trainable, etc. it is not an excuse to breed that dog.

Those paragraphs stand true for every one of us who have had time to be here and truely learn to love these dogs. It is not a finger pointing gimmick, rather something i would say to any one else who posted a similar thread like this. It's all about the dogs and their future.

On a side note... Have you been able to hear how her siblings are doing?

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Sharon, people said the same thing about Helena and I. And I was new to the pit bull world at the time, had never even heard of a BYB. I got Helena from a friend who bred her parents. At that time I thought that's just what people did. I didn't think anything of it at all. My friend and her fam lived out in the country. And they had several dogs. They had been BYB snouzers (sp?) for years! lol Helena did end up having the demo mange and stuff so I did learn from my experience and next time would like a dog that I know it's background. But those same people jumping on me for buying from a BYB were very pro rescue. Most of their dogs were rescues... don't they realize their dogs came from a BYB just like mine did? My dog just didn't have to go through the "system" so to speak like theirs did.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
I would pay a couple of hundred bucks for BYB pup to get it out of misery but I would never ever pay more than that for BYB dog. I think those who buy a 3k dollar dog from a breeder that doesn't health test their dogs is supporting a terrible practice.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Some people are just passionate about not getting dogs from a BYB. I've seen it on this forum where a new member will get upset because of people not liking BYB's. They have been in a different context like wanting to breed and all...

This world is ugly, don't expect people to be nice this way you won't be disappointed. When someone is nice I am pleasantly surprised, when someone is mean I just shrug it off and continue. Even more so online where a lot of E-thugs hang out behind a screen preaching.

Sasha is from a BYB, I never knew anything about the breeding world and how bad BYB is for these animals. I don't regret it one bit, at this point you can only educate.

The problem isn't ending anytime soon as long as dogs still make money, people would sell babies if it was legal, hell they still do.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
I would pay a couple of hundred bucks for BYB pup to get it out of misery but I would never ever pay more than that for BYB dog. I think those who buy a 3k dollar dog from a breeder that doesn't health test their dogs is supporting a terrible practice.
I agree about the 3k deal!

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
It is super disheartening when someone who has been such an advocate for the breed as well as rescue their entire life goes against everything they preach about believing in... Purchasing a BYB dog. In a sense I am glad she's in your hands, but on the same note it is quite confusing and contradicitory to the public what your morals truely are when you have belonged to a website like this for so many years with so many posts... the Logo's motto in the top left hand corner of this site says promoting responsibility, increasing awareness, and doing what needs to be done. Ignorance is one thing... buying a dog out of the paper, craigslist, off the side of the road when you don't know any better... but having the knowledge as well as all of the necessary tools to aquire a well bred dog cheap if not free just off of this website is alone is just.... frustrating.
Isn't buying a dog from a BYB in a sense rescuing it? Now if she paid $500 or more for the dog from a BYB I would say that she was helping to perpetuate the cycle, but buying a dog for $50 hardly seems like the BYB was out to make a buck.

Reactions: Xiahko

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Isn't buying a dog from a BYB in a sense rescuing it? Now if she paid $500 or more for the dog from a BYB I would say that she was helping to perpetuate the cycle, but buying a dog for $50 hardly seems like the BYB was out to make a buck.
A BYB is a BYB all day long... $1-100,000 it's all the same. Rescue is when someone discovers a dog in need. You hardly discover a dog while responding to an ad or flyer then exchange money for it.

I need to go on record i didn't come back here to argue... I'm here for the dogs, the old salts, and all of the new owners who come into this breed and/or are new to dog ownership.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Yeah but you could argue in a sense that... when you get a dog from a BYB and you are a responsible owner you kept it going to someone who might fight, beat or starve the dog?

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I guess because I know sharon and her intentions it's different it's not like sharon bought Vendetta to breed her. She bought Vendetta to give her a better life I am glad that she ended up in responsible hands and not in the wrong hands. At least with Sharon the BYB cycle will not repeat itself. I look at this case as a rescue situation it's not Vendetta's fault how she came into the world. I am just glad she ended up in good hands with someone who will love and give her everything she deserves. Sharon has been rescuing dogs for some time now and most people who know her on these forums know this about her.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
A BYB is a BYB all day long... $1-100,000 it's all the same. Rescue is when someone discovers a dog in need. You hardly discover a dog while responding to an ad or flyer then exchange money for it.

I need to go on record i didn't come back here to argue... I'm here for the dogs, the old salts, and all of the new owners who come into this breed and/or are new to dog ownership.
Not to start an arguement here but Rescues allow stray mothers to have their pups and place them for over 200-300 bucks. I don't see the difference between that and someone that though they could make a buck. A rescue is only effective in my opinion when they deal with neglect or dogs that get thrown out on the street. But letting the mother have puppies from an unknown source is almost the same as backyard breeding. You are charging for puppies that come from parents that are not health tested or temperament tested. My dog was a jewel in a hay stack he came with papers but he came out of BYB, he was a pup that had a lot of promise and so far he has been a heck of an ambassador for the Pit Bull umbrella.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts