Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
The Cocker Spaniels Bites more than any other dog ever. Pits sell newspapers and make people watch the news so pit attacks sell. People believe what they see on TV and read in the paper as fact and the sterio type follows.

·
Registered
1 Posts
it is simple and i can tell u y. look at where we live in the great united states were if the people c beauty,power,leadership,and a whole laundry list of positive characteristics it jus simply has 2 go

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Because of what the breed was origionally bred to do.
At one time in history it was the number one FAMILY dog in the United States. Times change and people change I guess.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
do you think it might be the term pitbull what i mean is if it was just a American terrier do you think ppl would still have the same opinion

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Depends. Half the dogs that are labeled as "pitbulls" arn't even American pitbull terriers. They are dogs that already don't have the word pitbull in there name. But they get labeled as that anyway.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Let's not forget the idiot owner's who give the breed a bad name it should be a privilege to own this breed. Unfortunately because of over breeding and the access for any nut job to own such a dog you have people who are causing more harm to our dogs than good.

·
Registered
283 Posts
It's true about the media... They say "pitbull" and everyone's ears perk up. It's the same way they overdramitize everything..."WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT (insert topic) MAY KILL YOU!!! Many animals that are rarely aggressive toward humans are demonized to make headlines then people turn and exterminate them. Then conservationists step in and try to reeducate people before they're extinct... The world's so bassackwards, don't even get me started.

·
Banned
2,128 Posts
I think that the striking appearance of the pitbull or apbt contributes to the overall attitude towards the breed. Also the horrible image given to it by the humaniacs at PETA and the HSUS to make a dollar, while at the same time wreaking havoc on it's public image.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well it's not just biting....it's mauling. I agree there are many dogs more HA, but cocker spaniels can't do the damage a pitbull can. So I think people fear pits through a mix of truth, myth, and BS. It's a fact that APBT's have mauled, and even as a lover and protector of the breed I would say probably more here than any other breed. However, I also understand that this is a stat due to the fact that there are probably a greater number of pits and mutts with a little pit blood than any other breed here in the states. Unfortunately, like 9mm's, pits are wanted and owned by irresponsible pricks that want a status symbol.

An example if BS, there was a little girl that was bit in the face by a mutt in Palm Beach, Fl last week. The TV news reported that she was bit in the face by a "pit mix". In other words, a mutt, but it had some physical characteristics of a pitbull so they called it a "pit mix". It also had characteristics of a lab' but they couldn't call it a lab mix.

·
Banned
2,128 Posts
I'm going to have to disagree ptw! No way pit bulls have mauled more than others most stories aren't even accurate in the breed description. The CDC does not even breakdown dog bites into breeds because accounts are so unreliable.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I would also have to disagree, and there are several more breeds that can and do maul way more than pits. Any large or medium sized breed dog can do the same damage to a person that a pit can. They are commonly mistaken for dogs with super strength or super abilities. There are many stronger breeds out their just due to size alone. I can dropped a pit in under a minute and I am a girl so they are not that strong. They choke and can be taken out like any other dog. Bullets don't bounce off them. A mastiff on the other hand I wouldn't mess with or a a Rott. Pits pure and mix have drive, determination, and DA not massive mauling instincts. Labs for example are in a large majority of maulings every year due to the fact that they are over populated and byb with just bout everything.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Good answers..yeah, I'd say between the media, the irresponsible owners, the history of the breed and the almost human-like muscle definition all plays a part on public fear.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
ITS the media!!! Plain and simple. Most people are followers and dont take the iniciative to research things themselves. They simply follow blindly what the media feeds them. I dont think its the history of the breed, most people do not know the real history of the breed, they simply know that the media says Pit bull = aggressive and dangerous to humans!!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I dont think its the history of the breed, most people do not know the real history of the breed
Yeah, you can actually thank the media for bringing the attention to the history of this breed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm going to have to disagree ptw! No way pit bulls have mauled more than others most stories aren't even accurate in the breed description. The CDC does not even breakdown dog bites into breeds because accounts are so unreliable.
It is my personal belief. I've seen it many times. I don't mind you disagreeing. However there are plenty of facts and video accounts that support my beliefs. I believe the same goes with any powerful game breed....however the over population of pitbull breeds has increased the risk, and I believe is the reason it happens more with pitbull breeds. Also note it is very rare you here reports that "American Pitbull Terriers" mauled, but rather just the term pitbull.

I would also have to disagree, and there are several more breeds that can and do maul way more than pits. Any large or medium sized breed dog can do the same damage to a person that a pit can. They are commonly mistaken for dogs with super strength or super abilities. There are many stronger breeds out their just due to size alone. I can dropped a pit in under a minute and I am a girl so they are not that strong. They choke and can be taken out like any other dog. Bullets don't bounce off them. A mastiff on the other hand I wouldn't mess with or a a Rott. Pits pure and mix have drive, determination, and DA not massive mauling instincts. Labs for example are in a large majority of maulings every year due to the fact that they are over populated and byb with just bout everything.
You've obviously never been attacked by a pitbull. A starnge pit that wants to attack isnt as easy to "drop" as you think I've seen APBT's pull thousands of pounds, so to say they are not that strong is false. Mix in other pit breeds and you're talking about dogs that are over 90lbs and that are even stronger.

We have to be careful that as people trying to protect the breed that we don't start sugarcoating pitbulls as if they are as easy to manage as a Yorkie.

·
Banned
2,128 Posts
yorkies are ankle biting crap machines not easy to manage not to mention pedicures and hair cuts...pits are a cake walk lol. I would still say most dog attacks are unconfirmed and to say that most of them are pits and pit mixes would be jsut as unfair as sugarcoating the breed. Ive been attacked by a GSD dropped it in a second lol....and those are bred for guard work huh? a dog is not a human and we are the superior predator thats all i know. I would have to agree with pit mixes...when you breed a dog that is inferior to the pit with its mental stability and give it the strength of a pit bull, it is not a good combination.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts