Go Pitbull Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a health or medical reason for cropping a dog's ears?

I can't imagine putting my dogs through a medical proceedure like that simply because it looks cool.

Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
its not a medical reason its personal prefrence. Alot of show dogs will have a crop due to judges liking the crops better , I think it shows off there head alot nicer and makes them look regal. Again its a personal choice some like some dont thats fine do with your dog as you like :)

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Yep it's a personal prefrence.Like angel said alot do it when showing their dogs.If I was showing a dog with the ukc or abkc I would crop the ears because the judges seem to prefer that look.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have a Greyhound with cropped ears. But hers were done at a kennel where she lived for 2 years before we rescued her. But when we got our Pit Mix froma shelter he still had his natural ears.

What I've been really suprised at surfing this forum is the number of threads and posts about ear cropping. I'm kind of shocked, actually, that so many people mutilate their dogs ears like that.

I can understand a surgical proceedure if it benefits the welbeing of the dog. But it seems totally pointless otherwise. And I find it difficult to reconcile having the best interest of the animal in mind with cutting off half its hear, or its tail.

I've had many different breeds of dog. I've never seen such obsession with cutting ears as I've seen with pit owners. Kind of creeps me out.

Not trying to fight with anybody. Just trying to understand.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts

What I've been really suprised at surfing this forum is the number of threads and posts about ear cropping. I'm kind of shocked, actually, that so many people mutilate their dogs ears like that.

Its a personal prefrence if you choocse not to crop thats fine noone will bash you here for that , for those that choose to crop we should be given the same respect. MUTILATE is not an appropriate term to use towards us. Id leave it at "you dont agree with it" and thats fine its your opinion.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Have you never seen Cane Corsos, Presa Canarios, Dobermans,Boxers Or great Danes???? All those breeds have the majority of cropped ears because same as with APBTS it s a clean look for a show dog and a preference the owners like. I also prefer crops as it lets the ears dry much better and I have yet to have a cropped dog get ear infection, rather than my dogs that have ears who get them at least once a year.

Cropping ears is not in any way mutilation. The dog is fully put to sleep while a section of ear flap is removed. Pain medication is available, but I have yet to have a dog even notice the crop, much less need pain meds.

By calling it mutilation you are highly insulting people who have spent quite a bit of money on this procedure and people how take very good care of their dogs.

There is nothing wrong than cropping a dog and it is no more mutilation than cutting open a female dog to remove her insides so that an owner doesn't have to take the responsibility of keeping the dog from breeding.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Its a personal prefrence if you choocse not to crop thats fine noone will bash you here for that , for those that choose to crop we should be given the same respect. MUTILATE is not an appropriate term to use towards us. Id leave it at "you dont agree with it" and thats fine its your opinion.
Have you never seen Cane Corsos, Presa Canarios, Dobermans,Boxers Or great Danes???? All those breeds have the majority of cropped ears because same as with APBTS it s a clean look for a show dog and a preference the owners like. I also prefer crops as it lets the ears dry much better and I have yet to have a cropped dog get ear infection, rather than my dogs that have ears who get them at least once a year.

Cropping ears is not in any way mutilation. The dog is fully put to sleep while a section of ear flap is removed. Pain medication is available, but I have yet to have a dog even notice the crop, much less need pain meds.

By calling it mutilation you are highly insulting people who have spent quite a bit of money on this procedure and people how take very good care of their dogs.

There is nothing wrong than cropping a dog and it is no more mutilation than cutting open a female dog to remove her insides so that an owner doesn't have to take the responsibility of keeping the dog from breeding.
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost: all that is needed said is above

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Backs away from thread....
jumps right in....

i thought you only crop as puppies so theres no pain? my dogs arent cropped but i remember my friends getting done by a vet, as a surgery, and the pup was even given a shot wich i assumed was for pain (i was young).

i mutilate alot of things for my own personal gain/appearance. i wore nike shoes as a child (child slave labor ive witnessed personally), i wear leather jackets when its cold. i used to eat only kosher meat. i buy my clothing from sweat shops over seas......see what im getting at? dont point fingers, scotty, when im sure your own are covered in blood just the same as mine

Reactions: Xiahko

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
This thread is now Closed. Ear Cropping is a personal choice a completely elective procedure that is done under the care of a lic vet. If you don't like ear cropping than don't crop your dogs ears plain and simple if you want to learn more about the different type's of crops and cost for this procedure please do a forum search we have plenty of threads about this.

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
This thread is now Closed. Ear Cropping is a personal choice a completely elective procedure that is done under the care of a lic vet. If you don't like ear cropping than don't crop your dogs ears plain and simple if you want to learn more about the different type's of crops and cost for this procedure please do a forum search we have plenty of threads about this.
:goodpost::goodpost:

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Just to add, if you call mutilations putting a dog through an unnecessary procedure just for your own gain then lets talk about Spay and Neuter. I am sure you have dogs who are S/N that can be the same as an ear crop, you are putting a dog through an unnecessary procedure. To be a responsible pet owner you do not have to S/N you can just keep your dogs from getting into trouble by separating them when in season. I have a whole house of intact dogs and no accidental litters. There is also proof that S/N early is not good for the dogs and can cause life long problems. Also studies are being done on longer life spans of intact dogs vs S/N and the cancer scare your vet tells you is not the whole truth..... So we can sit here and bash those who crop but what about any other medical procedure you put your dog through? S/N just so you do not have to deal with a heat cycle IMO is lazy.......

People who use the words like mutilation are ignorant of how cropping is done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.