Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that it looks coll. But is there any medcal or health reason to crop Titus' ears? i would like to but was wondering if there was any reason beyond
"it looks cool."

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
It's only for appearance from what I know.

I believe there were reasons back in the day but I don't think you need your pets ears cropped for it to be any more lovable at home. I love the soft floppy natural ears :)

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
ther are many many threads on this, it all comes down to what you like i.e looks, go to the search area and type in ear crop you will find all you want to know and then some

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
No, Thomas, there's not any medical or health reason to crop, per se... it's more of a personal preference. If Titus is just a pet, and you don't plan on showing or working him in competitions, then no, there's no need for it. Per the breed standard, the ears are preferred natural, but here lately, the dogs with cropped ears seem to be winning in the show ring more than dogs with natural ears.

Now, if your dog has a hemotoma, then cropping would be a viable option, depending on the location on the ear, I believe, but don't quote me on that. Lisa from Performance Kennels could better answer that question.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"go to the search area and type in ear crop you will find all you want to know and then some"

I believe you misunderstand my question.... I have read SEVERAL threads on hows and whens and what have you...but thus far I ave yet to have a search turn up a definitive WHY beyond preference, and appearance. restated, My question is.... WHY , beyond the looks of it, would you crop your dog's ears? I personally like it. I think that it gives the dog a more clean /sporty appearance.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Sounds like you made up your mind, cropping is only for looks and that is that. If you want people's opinions about it then get ready for them lol

I find it pointless unless if the dog came like that from the breeder or if I am planning to show the dog. With all the BSL crap going around the less attention my dog can get the better. So to me natural ears are better the animal looks less agressive to the eyes of those who do not know the breed. In my opinion I hear too many new pit owners asking about cropping and how much they are going to have to pay, when in reality they should be spending money on a reputable obedience class so the dog doesn't end up in the shelter or in the 5'0clock news.

·
3,272 Posts
I personally like it. I think that it gives the dog a more clean /sporty appearance.
lol no i got the question, but your statement here is really the only reason, except for the reply above from the lady pit

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Lol Aireal.. Scooby and I are high school friends.. so he knows me as Bev.. (pssst, you spelled my name wrong, it's Tha Lady Pit, lol)...

Scooby, like was previously stated, there is no medical/health reason to crop the ears. Again, it's just a personal preference.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Also, keep in mind a cropped Pit Bull might look more aggressive to some.

I know many people hate how people in the street look at our dogs and comments they share, cropping might add to that IMO.

·
3,272 Posts
Lol Aireal.. Scooby and I are high school friends.. so he knows me as Bev.. (pssst, you spelled my name wrong, it's Tha Lady Pit, lol)...

Scooby, like was previously stated, there is no medical/health reason to crop the ears. Again, it's just a personal preference.
hahaha ok that works the

really Tha dude where have i been i've totally read that wrong for... forever roffl :hammer:

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
hahaha ok that works the

really Tha dude where have i been i've totally read that wrong for... forever roffl :hammer:
:rofl: :rofl: LMAO Aireal!! You're so crazy.. yeah everybody seems to get it wrong, lol. I wanted something original and I guess I succeeded.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Cropping is mainly done for looks however there are medical benefits to cropping as well.

If your dog has a full drop in the ears like a hound, the ear canal is closed off and they can be prone to ear infections. dogs with any type of natural ear can be prone to ear infections but especially full drop ears. Most cropped dogs will not get ear infections because the ear canal is open to air out and not the ideal growth place for yeast. There are always exceptions to this and I have a cropped dog who does get ear infections but her ear canal is not shaped right and that is the problem vs the crop.

The other benefit is hematomas of the ear. Hematomas occur when the dog has an injury or ear infection with natural ears. When they shake their head the ears beat against the head and fluid can build up in the ear, sometimes these have to be taken care of surgically. This can also happen if your dog was attacked or in a fight and the ear was bit fluid can build up can make a hematoma. It is almost impossible to get a hemtomoa with cropped ears because they are so small, unless they got bite on the ear I have never seen one on a cropped dog but again I am sure it can happen.

None of these reasons I think medically justifies ear cropping however I am a big supporter of cropped ears. I hate seeing a great looking show dog with big goofy ears, a cropped ear cleans up the head and just looks better but that is only JMO. Most of my dogs have cropped ears I think I have 3 out of 16 dogs that are natural eared everyone else is cropped.

Now you can make problems with a bad crop job. If you get them too short like a battle crop the dog cannot protect their ear canal from dirt and water and will shake the head a lot. If you do crop do not do a battle crop stay with a short or longer crop so the dog can protect the ear canal.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Excellent post Lisa!! That's the info I was looking for right there!! Thank you for clarifying that for me. I was headed in the right direction!!

·
Medal polisher for kg420
3,056 Posts
if your dog is a year old is it 2 late 2 crop his ears?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts