Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get mixed answers when I say my puppy is a bluenose Pitbull, am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
there is a blue pit as in blue coat color, not bluenose pit as in nose color. In other words, APBT is a breed and blue & white is a coat color. Just like chocolate Labrador, not chocolate nose Labrador.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh ok so mine is a blue pit? So then what is a bluenose

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Blue nose is just coloring it does not describe and Breed or blood line. Only describes the actual color of the dog.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
There are apbt that have blue noses. I think people read in to color because the strain of old family Red noses. They tend to just think nose color is a blood line or family that isn't the case.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
So can there be such thing as a blue nose Apbt

That depends who you ask. Some people would say that APBTs don't come in blue at all. I personally think that they do, but it's incredibly rare (and don't let that make you think it's "special" or a blue dog is more important or something) compared to other colours that are more common in the breed, so my first thought when I see someone ask about their blue dog is that it's a mixed breed. You're much more likely to see a blue AmStaff or AmBully than an APBT, and most "APBTs" that are blue have some other breed in their pedigrees.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
I have yet to see in your short time in APBT breed. A blue dog that dint not have am staff or bully blood in the mix.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Oh ok so mine is a blue pit? So then what is a bluenose
bluenose is a blue color of your pup's nose. It's just a color. Some blue coated pits have black nose while others have less pigment which makes the nose look sort of blueish/greyish (not completely black).

which means you have a puppy with a blue coat and maybe a blue nose. That's it. And I don't think your pup is pure bred btw.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bluenose is a blue color of your pup's nose. It's just a color. Some blue coated pits have black nose while others have less pigment which makes the nose look sort of blueish/greyish (not completely black).

which means you have a puppy with a blue coat and maybe a blue nose. That's it. And I don't think your pup is pure bred btw.
Why don't you think he's a purebread?

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts

It's impossible for a blue dog to have any kind of black pigment. Blue is a dilution of black. There are varying shades of blue, some of the darker ones maybe appearing black, but they are not.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why don't you think he's a purebread?
Because his head is not the right shape and the eyes are set differently, the smile, his look (pits have that "hunter" look)... I can't explain it, but if somebody simply showed me a picture of him, I would have never thought he could be a pitbull.

This is what a pitbull puppy looks like:

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's impossible for a blue dog to have any kind of black pigment. Blue is a dilution of black. There are varying shades of blue, some of the darker ones maybe appearing black, but they are not.
I have seen FCI (AKC equivalent in Europe) registered blue amstaffs with noses that look, well, black. I've been looking for a registered blue amstaff for several months now and I have seen quite a few grown up blue amstaffs in real life. All of them have different shades of blue coat (ranging from not-so-dark-brown to dark brown or charcoal), but not all of them have a "blue" nose that looks any different from black. Those with a more brown coat quite often have what looks like a black nose to a naked eye.

The fact that blue is a dilution of black is a myth floating around the net. Most blue dogs are, in fact, brown with silver/blue tint. Their skin is blue, though. I guess that's what makes them "blue".

This is a prime example of a blue dog, his parents are blue as well: Know Everything Soul Of Gryffindor

·
Registered
27 Posts
No, it is not a myth. It is genetics. Blue is a dilution of black, though "blue" can appear in varying shades, as stated before.

Dilution of Dog Coat Colors
that link is referring to "Blue or charcoal grey" as being diluted black. Charcoal grey is indeed a diluted black because it's grey. But brown is not. Most blue amstaffs are not even close to charcoal grey, but they are considered blue. Some dogs seem more charcoal grey because of the white contrasting color, but they are not really grey, they are brown with a grey/blue tint as well.

And your link refers to various diluted combinations of colors.

Edit: and if you look at AKC standards, there is no such thing as "blue" nose, they only recognize blue coat color with black nose:
- http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/american-staffordshire-terrier/
- http://images.akc.org/pdf/breeds/st...ier.pdf?_ga=1.181122596.2015748895.1466442751

Which means that every single amstaff that has a blue coat color, has a black nose too even if the color looks somewhat diluted. In other words, according to AKC and FCI, blue noses in registered blue amstaffs do not exist.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
:goodpost:

I have seen FCI (AKC equivalent in Europe) registered blue amstaffs with noses that look, well, black. I've been looking for a registered blue amstaff for several months now and I have seen quite a few grown up blue amstaffs in real life. All of them have different shades of blue coat (ranging from not-so-dark-brown to dark brown or charcoal), but not all of them have a "blue" nose that looks any different from black. Those with a more brown coat quite often have what looks like a black nose to a naked eye.

The fact that blue is a dilution of black is a myth floating around the net. Most blue dogs are, in fact, brown with silver/blue tint. Their skin is blue, though. I guess that's what makes them "blue".
that link is referring to "Blue or charcoal grey" as being diluted black. Charcoal grey is indeed a diluted black because it's grey. But brown is not. Most blue amstaffs are not even close to charcoal grey, but they are considered blue. Some dogs seem more charcoal grey because of the white contrasting color, but they are not really grey, they are brown with a grey/blue tint as well.

Which means that every single amstaff that has a blue coat color, has a black nose too even if the color looks somewhat diluted. In other words, according to AKC and FCI, blue noses in registered blue amstaffs do not exist.
This is incorrect. Any time a dog is referred to as blue it is because it is genetically blue (or registered incorrectly). Chances are, those dogs with noses that appear black but registered as blue are actually just dark blue (as in dilute of black, which is the only accepted definition of blue). The brown or tan coated dogs you speak of I am guessing are fawns, and yes, they can and do have blue noses. In those cases they are referred to as "blue fawns".

·
Registered
27 Posts
:goodpost:

This is incorrect. Any time a dog is referred to as blue it is because it is genetically blue (or registered incorrectly). Chances are, those dogs with noses that appear black but registered as blue are actually just dark blue (as in dilute of black, which is the only accepted definition of blue). The brown or tan coated dogs you speak of I am guessing are fawns, and yes, they can and do have blue noses. In those cases they are referred to as "blue fawns".
Well, no, that's not what I'm referring to because brown cannot be a dilute black. Blue color in amstaffs is different form British Shorthair blue color (which is a dilute black). Blue fawn is a completely different color. Anyway, cheers :)

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Well, no, that's not what I'm referring to because brown cannot be a dilute black. Blue color in amstaffs is different form British Shorthair blue color (which is a dilute black). Blue fawn is a completely different color. Anyway, cheers :)
It is entirely unclear what you're referring to then. What brown dogs? Are you talking about seal colored dogs?

Also, British shorthair is a cat breed...

Blue in amstaffs is absolutely a dilute of black.

http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/dilutes.html

"The dilution gene affects eumelanin (black and liver), although phaeomelanin (red) may be lightened as well. When a dog has two copies of the d allele, a black dog will become blue (aka slate) and a liver (chocolate) dog becomes isabella (aka lilac). A blue or isabella can have any coat pattern, but whatever they have, any black or liver in the coat will be turned to blue or isabella. It is genetically impossible for a blue dog to have any black in its coat, or for an isabella to have liver."

Reactions: jttar
1 - 20 of 30 Posts