Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When younger king would listen when i say stop or come on when he have finish using the the bathroom or running around in the field. But now when I say come on or stop he would look at me and go the other way. So now I don't let him off the leash. It give me a funny feeling when he do that, (no control)but at the same time I would like him to run around sometimes. I knows he like that.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
If he isn't fixed then he can possibly be focusing on other things than you. I have had intact males that were well trained and would return to "come" as soon as I called them back but then I had others that have had minds of there own and were never let off leash because they weren't 100% on there recall. How old is your boy? He may just be maturing and have chics on the brain. However, its all in the training and how much you work with him. I would train him to refocus on you before you start letting him lose again. Make sure you have a 100% recall before you start letting him wander from you. Next time he may try to take off and you could lose him for good. Definitely not a risk worth taking.

Reactions: dixieland

·
Registered
816 Posts
my boy is 7 months old and he is less obedient off leash than before but same as raising children then name of the game is CONSISTENCY ..... i apply all discipline immediately when he doesnt do as asked....and when i say discipline i mean if he doesnt turn around immediately i go get him and force him to turn around....

i am no dog expert but i do have a pretty solid parenting style which i apply to my dog the same, i think as they get older (mine is not neutered nor will he ever me modified in any way) .... they get a lil more independent and stubborn (much like children) and the only way is to be on them and let them know YOU are in charge.

simple as that, without even laying one hand on them....just action and tone of voice so he recognizes.

my son was upset the other day because samson doesnt listen to his "no's" ....i told him he had to change his tone of voice and demeanor if he wanted the dog to respect him but since I am the "pack leader" at home it would be harder for him but still attainable.

idk...hope it helps , good luck

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Sounds to me like he has hit adolescence and needs a quick attitude adjustment. I wouldnt let him off leash and I would work on his basic obedience, If you arent sure how to do this I would really look into taking a few classes with an experienced trainer. I would do this sooner then later if left un checked it can get worse, he isnt respecting you when he just ignores you like that.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
You can get a long 50ft training lead that give him room to run but you know he isn't going anywhere. Then it helps when you train for recall and not be nervous.

My dog also likes to be "chased". He knows when I am not having it though, its all in teaching him what is expected. Time and patience and then more time.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
A long line and a bunch of treats are in order. Take him out on the looooong lead (just let him drag it.. if he runs, you'll have plenty of time to step on the leash), and whenever he comes to you of his own accord, without you calling him, reward him. Make it fun to come to you. After he has really upped his "check-ins," then you can start asking for the behavior. Each time he responds initially, give him a treat, and praise. Start cutting back on the treats, and upping the praise, but throughout his life, regularly give him a "jackpot" reward of a yummy treat, or a bunch of regular ones for a good recall. It will keep him interested in returning to you. Once you progress to off-leash work (I would do so in a fenced area to start), you should keep a pocket of treats at all times, just in case. I have also found that, if a dog is ignoring you, running swiftly in the other direction, and suddenly falling on the ground once you have their attention usually gets most dogs to run right into your arms. Or your face.. lol.

Reactions: aimee235
1 - 7 of 7 Posts