Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Not saying its bad at all but the "blue" color has been over breed. Many BYB have not health tested their dogs, they are just breeding for color. That could causes health problems by default. If people breed responsibly and heath test the parents to ensure the pups will be healthy, there would be less of an issue. "blue" dogs don't have health problems, Back Yard Breeder dogs typically do since they don't follow guidelines prior to breeding.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Not saying its bad at all but the "blue" color has been over breed. Many BYB have not health tested their dogs, they are just breeding for color. That could causes health problems by default. If people breed responsibly and heath test the parents to ensure the pups will be healthy, there would be less of an issue. "blue" dogs don't have health problems, Back Yard Breeder dogs typically do since they don't follow guidelines prior to breeding.
:goodpost:

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
The blue color has been linked to skin problems and allergies though. But this could also go along with the byb thing.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
its a byb thing , its not blue dogs that have skin issues its poorly bred dogs , but since blue is so RARE lol , it is highly bred for by BYB's therfore we see alot of blue dogs with skin issues among other things. If brindles were the new RARE color then you would see it with those lol.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
The most I've heard about it has to do with the nature of blue as a dilution gene. That you have to reintroduce strong pigment (ie, black) because if you breed generations of blue x blue, the color will "wash out."

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I tend to agree... All blue litters are not necessarily a problem unless they were bred by a byb with no intention of health testing... Now breeding blue 7 blue for several generations will cause the color to dilute even further and in some blues will look lighter gray instead of blue... This typically only happens with byb as they have not done gene research and do not know any better...

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
You may have to look out for allergy issues & skin issues since they can be fairer skinned.

It's always best to do a fair amount of research on the breed & breeder of choice before getting a dog. But like most dog owners, you learn as you go.

I love my blue dog...not for his color. But awesome temperment & personality. Best darn dog EVER!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
The most I've heard about it has to do with the nature of blue as a dilution gene. That you have to reintroduce strong pigment (ie, black) because if you breed generations of blue x blue, the color will "wash out."

I tend to agree... All blue litters are not necessarily a problem unless they were bred by a byb with no intention of health testing... Now breeding blue 7 blue for several generations will cause the color to dilute even further and in some blues will look lighter gray instead of blue... This typically only happens with byb as they have not done gene research and do not know any better...

You have to put pigment back and cannot do blue after blue breedings. A good breeder will know this and breed accordingly. BYB's who breed only for color will have all types of health issues including skin problems. From a good breeder you can have an all blue litter that has no skin issues.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Good breeders in my opinion do not breed for a specific color, they breed for the total dog.

Blue in itself and having an all blue litter isn't necessarily a bad thing as others have already said...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
diesel... Any breeder of this specific breed that do not health are not classified as first class... Period... This breed and most others need to be health tested before breedings happen for several reasons... First and foremost you are not bettering the breed by breeding two animals that can be carrying genes for numerous health issues... Secondly one could end up with a litter of worthless culls by not health testing first... And third one could lose there female in birth over minor stuff that would have been known in a health test... Lets not argue that a person can be a great breeder even when they don't health test... That's not bettering the breed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts