Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come across the book "Wild Hearts" by Kody Connick. As many of you know this ambitious young man (14) has written a book about stealing & fighting a pit bull puppy. It is absolutely filled with horrible misinformation that ill-minded youths could read about & copy thinking that is how dog fighting is "done." It's almost as bad as a PETA/HSUS handbook. If the wrong people - kids or young adults - read this book & copy the techniques within, animals would suffer & the BSL fire would rage.

I contacted the published & he said it was none of my business & that I was meddling. I tried to explain to him that every negative incidence involving a pit bull affects ALL pit bull owners, but he isn't hearing it. He wants to get rich off publishing this young man's manual for street fighting.

Please log in, read the excerpt of the book & let the publisher know how you feel! Here is a link to the publisher where you can leave comments.

Tom Frye Wild Hearts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problem. I think the young man means well, but his book is filled with all kinds of inaccuracies & myths described in horrible detail. Something I certainly do NOT want to see perpetuated! His publisher doesn't care one whit though, just so long as he makes money. :(

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I was wanting to see if I could read more of it first before leaving a comment.Any ways of reading more of this book without having to buy it?

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Man that little snippet of the book was terrible. I left a comment too but as you say, ABK the publisher sounds like he's not listening.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Wow, I can't believe the advice he gives some poor misguided youth wanting advice on her story:

"Hi, Jala, were you serious about getting your book published? Kody and I decided we would help kids like you who wanted to have their stories turned into books. The thing is, it will cost you and possibly your parents a pretty penny to see your work published, but if you are still interested, please send us a rough draft of whatever you've written so far. Send it to Kody Connick 8010 Vine Street, Lincoln, NE. 68505"

All he sees are $$$$. Almost reminds me of those "modeling agencies" that ask you for a fee for a headshot. Complete and utter BS.

Oh and this too, is priceless:

"So, good sir, knock youself out with your mission. We do appreciate the stir you will cause. Sorry to be so unsympathetic but you have no business meddling in the affairs of a 14-year-old boy.
Thank you,

Tom"

This low-life DOES have business meddling with the affairs of a 14-year old boy? What a creep!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some people just have no clue. Like this Tom person. He just does not think people will emulate the dog fighting methods described in Kody's book. I guess he has not been exposed to the scum bags a lot of us have met in our travels with the breed. Maybe if he volunteered at a rescue or shelter, he might see the work of some of these scum bags who think bait dogs & feeding puppies to dogs is OK. And now here it is in printed book form. Whoopee! All the easier to follow step by step! And he tries to use the excuse that they rescued a pit bull mix that they're "helping the breed." But what about all the dogs & puppies that are going to get maimed or killed b/c of the publication of this book? Does that ONE dog make up for all the ones that will suffer?? Ugh. I don't think he cares one whit about the breed. To him it's all about the $$$. :mad:

Blessings ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wild Hearts

Ok, we have a 14 year old kid here who witnessed a dog fight that would tear my 40 year old heart apart. He writes a book of fiction from what he imagines the dog's perspective would be and all you people can comment on is how dog fighting isn't really like that? That this will encourage others to emulate the training methods for their pit bulls? This book affected me to my core being. In my opinion it may help to open the eyes of people who don't know the true heart and soul of a pit bull terrier. I have an 18 month old spayed female who is the most sensitive loving dog I have ever owned and I have had many breeds of dog. She has never been hit in her life and though protective of herself around bigger dogs she doesn't know she will take abuse from the neihborhood poodles and other dogs she does know without recourse. You'll need God's help if you plan on hurting my puppy. Fighting dogs is one of the lowest and cruelest form of human behavior. Maybe this young man's book can let us see it from a dog's perspective. This kind of crap is still happening people. To Kody; Keep feeling for dogs in your heart young man and thank you for trying to make a difference.
Pit Bull Advocate and Lover of Pitties

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
crossposted response from the author:::

As the author of my own books for at-risk kids and the publisher of Kody's book, Wild Hearts, I must say I am surprised by all the passionate folks who had written in on my site: Tom Frye and many of the Pitbull chat forum sites. We have had "dog men" and "breeders" threatening to "wreck" my site, and yet the support of Animal Control Officers who have seen first-hand the suffering of this great breed of dog.

Kody only meant to be a small voice for the Pitbulls of the world, and yet his voice has been heard even in South Africa! So to all of you concerned folks out there who have only read the first chapter of the book, don't worry about banning or burning this book, for it has already been the small spark that started a big fire. If all of you who are so passionate about your dogs could just step back and see that this is a kid trying to make a difference in this world, perhaps the smoke can clear a bit.

Thank you to all the supporters and to those of you who really do "get" the concept of this book. I hope many of you have had the chance to read the rest of the story for we've had orders come in from 9 different states. I welcome those who have not yet heard about this book and invite you take a look for yourself.

And to all those naysayers, I welcome your remarks on my site only if they are appropriate. I won't let Kody read most of them for they have been so filled with bitterness and sarcasm he doesn't need to know of your bully mentality or your ego that urges you to vent. Sorry, but I won't be swayed to pull the book for you folks who believe it will only cause harm to this great breed of dogs.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Shana Representing Indigo Bully Connection says:
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

June 14, 2010 at 8:30 am
Oh my heart aches for this poor misguided youth Kody. I believe Kodys heart is in the right place, and I don't think he's had enough years in this breed and the people who live and work with them on a daily basis. This story may shed a teeny bit of truth about the bafoons who do not know what they are doing in the dog fighting world. Dogs are not used that do not have their own personal desire to participate, they don't fight because they are scared, trained, tortured… it comes from the bulldog within. I have been researching this breed in all aspects of it's creation on to current day events. It has taken me over 8 years to get to the point to feel comfortable enough to say "I know a thing or two" but i will never feel as though I know enough to publish a book. I also am one of those people who feel as though this book will do more damage than good, fictional or not it's just not accurate even from the first chapter. I feel as though everytime this book is sold it will take us 20 steps backwards from the ten we stepped forward. The reason these dogs are not for everyone is because the instinct is there. These dogs don't do well for a regular pet family they need constant physical and mental stimulation because the American Pit Bull Terrier is a working dog, not a pet. Pets belong on couches, a working dog belongs in a training setting.

·
Registered
962 Posts
i am not sure this book deserves to be on the shelves of my childrens school libraries, but, i do believe this kids heart was in the right place.

read the excerpt, then read it again realizing this was written by A FOURTEEN YEAR OLD!
many adults couldn't write a story that well.

sometimes we all need to take a step back, and realize that not all of the world is bad.
Always remember that just because a person doesn't think or feel the way you do, it doesn't make them wrong.

Reactions: dixieland
1 - 16 of 16 Posts