Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
What do all you puppy owners do when outside activities are very limited due to snow, ice, single digit temps., etc.? I try and keep my pup exercised in the house by playing/rough housing LOL and keeping plenty of toys on hand, but it gets a little stir crazy sometimes. For all those who live in a warm weather climate...I wish I was there too :) Anyway, got to go salt my back patio so I don't fall on my bum, again!!!

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Mine go on the treadmill :) Even though Georgia doesn't get much snow it does get cold during the winter. Last week we got a major snow/ice storm and they got their playtime on the treadmill wore them out good LOL

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ladies!!! I would love to move South, but the snow pups idea that Candra suggested has me thinking LOL!! That was funny:) I have a mill, but I think it needs lubed up cause the belt does not rotate smoothly. I guess I'll just stick to the "mini 500" in my living room, where Badger tries to catch me while I run laps around the coffee table. That little sucker catches me too, he is getting awfully quick LOL!!

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Hey just get your butt outside. I bet theat I am colder than you are!!!! I atke V outside twice a day for a good game of fetch. I use the road in frpnt of my house so I can throw the ball further plus I have an incline of about 20-25degrees so she has a little more of a work out. Then I also thro her ball into the snow and make her search for it. Inside I play alot of find it games this exercises her mind and there are tons of places to hide her toys. I also work on her obedience right now I am working on getting her to stand and lay down in one flowing motion.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
^ that's what I do, LOL. Bite the bullet and bundle yourself up to freeze your butt off while your puppy runs around like it isn't -17. ;)

If it's really nasty out and you can't go out, that's a day I work on a lot of mental stuff to wear Kane out too. Work on his old tricks and commands to keep them fresh and teach him a new one too.

·
Registered
281 Posts
We have a local outdoor mall that is where I would go If I didnt have friends with indoor rideing arenas, or like I do, We just go out but about every 3 days we go up to get out of the cold and actully let them wear out for about 3 hours of harddd play :)

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL!! Yeah, the older I get the more I hate the winter:) However, since I do work outside, I think that these past 22 years has beaten me down some. Believe me, I don't mind getting the pup outside in the elements myself, it's just that the last thing I want him to do is break a leg on the ice:( It almost happened to one of my other pups and it has always scared me since. Actually, I have no problems with it being just cold outside, it's the ice and such that I dislike. Although I will admit that after a day's work in the wintertime, I'm pretty bushed...getting older LOL!!! Sharon and Caitlin, you guys are killing me LOL! :):):)

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
LOL. Are those old bones creaking a bit? ;)

Kane really likes the snow and stuff, so I usually have to stop him, otherwise he'll stay out all day even when his ... groin area, gets to be bright red. :p He's actually rubbed himself raw on the snow on his back legs running around and I didn't realize it until I got back inside and had blood on my hands from wiping his paws off. Talk about a shocker! :(

I'm really hoping it was just cause we got a touch of rain that froze over on top of the snow, but I won't lie that it's making me a little paranoid to have him out in the snow.

The other day we were playing and he slipped on the ice -- totally wiped out, skidded across the ice on his side and then hopped back up and kept playing, lol.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Thanks ladies!!! I would love to move South, but the snow pups idea that Candra suggested has me thinking LOL!! That was funny:) I have a mill, but I think it needs lubed up cause the belt does not rotate smoothly. I guess I'll just stick to the "mini 500" in my living room, where Badger tries to catch me while I run laps around the coffee table. That little sucker catches me too, he is getting awfully quick LOL!!
LoL^

Here's another thought... Saw it off 'it's me or the dog'

Welcome to the Canine Spa Home Page - Dog Swimming | Dock Diving | Rehabilitation | Dillsburg PA - perhaps there's something like this in your area... Just using this link as example (aside from the dog interaction part)

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Candra and Caitlin, good suggestions! Believe me, I'm not lazy...too high strung:) I love getting the Badman outside, it's just too icy right now. And the dark at 5 pm stuff doesn't help either. I'm ranting now, sorry LOL!!! Come on Spring, I know you're out there:)

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
We don't get snow but it does get cold. We do get quite a few thunderstorms. When it rains to much where my yard becomes a swamp lol, we use my hall way. I my house is long so I can throw and ball from the living room down the hall to the 3rd Bedroom and the have a nice chase :D

Everyone is inside so we of course can't do this with all the dogs, so another option for the ones who don't pass each other in crates is my living room. Its a square and I am in one corner so there is room for tug-o-war, Short sprint fetching, I have a race car a couple like to chase :D

You can also work with just some simple sit, stay, down, whatever just to give them something to do with their time.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Holly, this is kind of what I have been doing, definitely not sitting around:) The four walls tend to close in during this time of year for me, but I make it work! I'm trying to teach him how to do the laundry, dust, clean the bathroom, etc. It's not going over too well right now, but I'm not giving up LOL!!!

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Ice is bad. But you can still do stuff that wont hurt him. Such as pulling I know that Badger is younge but he can still pull a few pounds. This will keep him from running on the ice but will still get a work out. Today was cold it is -20 out right now so I didn't play with V when I got home.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Sharon, we must be recieving some of your weather for the next couple days, -11 to -15 wind chills. It's funny you say weight pull because I have been hooking up a ten pound plate to him inside once in awhile just to give him a little workout:) -20 up there in the Land of Lakes is definitely frigid, stay warm Sharon and V (and all the animals)!!!

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Yep it is cold. My house is not that warm in fact I have a cold breeze going across my feet here in the kitchen. I know that warm weather is on its way in ........oh about three months.

that is great you are strating weight pulling it is a great activity and is something you can do in all weather. I forgot my to pick up my weight so they are under 3ft of snow :(.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I had a harness that I bought for Chalice. I was lucky and it works well for Miss V too. I put the harness on her and let her walk around with it on I held the back bar up then I added a five pound weight to it and walked her up and down the drive way I did this for a few days just so she got use to wearing it and having some weight behind her. Then I changed to a 20# weight. I would have my son about 25ft from me and I would release V and he would call her we would do this back and forth. I keep upping the distance that she is dragging the weight. This next summer I am going to take her to a hil and work her there with her drag weight.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts