Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im thinking my pup might be a little to heavy for his age? He just turned 4 months today and he already is almost 40lbs? I even cup feed him and measure his food..... Is he getting to big to fast?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
no thats prob fine , each pup is different and bloodline and breed play a huge role, Im assuming at that size you have a bully? do you have pics? my boy was about that weight at that age, I dont worry to much on weight when they are that young puppys need the extra fat for growth , as long as he isnt a beach ball and can still move well he should be fine. get lots of exercise in for your pup { by exercise I mean a good walk or 2 a day and some play time in the yard or something , nothing strenuous} JMO.

·
Super Moderator
4,593 Posts
Post pics please. What kind of food do you feed, and how much and how often?

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
if he's a bully thats about right.. they can reach 80+

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if he's a bully thats about right.. they can reach 80+
Yes he is a bully. I feed him 1.5 cups three times daily. So 4.5 cups a day. I feed him purina puppy chow. The vet said he should get to about 85lbs. But with half his weight already on him and only four months? I thought he was to big..... Lol I'll post some of his pics in a little while. Gotta run home

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
a good guess for there mature weight is to double the weight at 4 months so that sounds right. purina puppy chow is garbage though , Id look into a better food I swear by orijen but it is very pricey , acana is up there as well . TOTW is good for the price and have heard alot of good reviews on it, also costco brand puppy food Kirklands brand is good for the price as well { up here its around $20-$25 a bag) . Id really consider going with a better food. JMO.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
^ I agree.

If you can afford it, finding a better food would be great. It's so important to feed quality food to ensure a long healthy life for your pup.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Bernie was 40 pounds at 4 months there is nothing wrong with that.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Aw, what a cute boy! Look at those paws!!

Also, it doesn't look like he's overweight or anything (the pics aren't the easiest to tell it by, though)--he just looks like a healthy, big bully boy. :)

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
way too much food for a 4 month old pup.. cut that down to 1 cup, 3 times a day

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
cute pup.. he's gonna be big and wide.. plan to clip the ears or leave em natural?

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
I actually think 4.5 cups sounds ok, especially since they're feeding a low quality food like Purina.

Kane was at 4 cups on TOTW up until a couple months ago when he regulated himself down to 2 1/2 to 3 cups.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
true.. didnt see that part about what food he was feeding

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cute pup.. he's gonna be big and wide.. plan to clip the ears or leave em natural?
I'm actually getting his ears cropped this Friday! I'm alittle nervous for him. Lol. I'm believe I'm gonna go with a show crop, I like them a little longer. Do you think I'll have to tape them to keep them stood up?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I actually think 4.5 cups sounds ok, especially since they're feeding a low quality food like Purina.

Kane was at 4 cups on TOTW up until a couple months ago when he regulated himself down to 2 1/2 to 3 cups.
What is TOTW? And where can u get it from?

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
TOTW = Taste of the Wild and most pet stores carry it but you can google to see if some place near you sells it. Goo dlookin pup btw, and if you go with a show crop you may have to tape the ears for a little bit to make them stand, good luck with that as well, :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TOTW = Taste of the Wild and most pet stores carry it but you can google to see if some place near you sells it. Goo dlookin pup btw, and if you go with a show crop you may have to tape the ears for a little bit to make them stand, good luck with that as well, :D
ok thanks for all the info!

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
TOTW is a good, basic, grain-free food. If you're doing kibble, it's best to get a grain-free food as grains are unnecessary in a dog's diet and, in some dog's, can cause problems with their digestion. That's why I have Kane on TOTW--when he was on Iams, he had bad poop.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
No worries is what we are here for :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts