Go Pitbull Forums banner

work out?

Tags
work
1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  scerv 
#1 ·
hey guys my son has a catahula 3 yr..he runs her and lets her pull him on long board. He want to train Jax my 8 month pup (pit) to pull him on long board..at what age can you jog (2 mile) and have him pull. he uses flirt pole and low hung spring pole.

#5 ·
20" is a taller dog and he does look overweight a bit even for a pet. If you're feeding puppy food I would switch to adult. 60lbs is not average in my house my dogs are much smaller so to me that's big. I would wait till around 12-13 months before ding high impact activities like running.

#6 ·
thanks performance...yeah i just started adding his adult food in(prob 2 week switch over)blue wilderness puppy to blue wilderness adult both chicken. yeah he is a bit chubby..he has not been getting his morning flirt pole for about 6 weeks..still gets lunch and evening flirt and spring...and running around yard..

thanks again :)

#7 ·
A word of caution.
8 months is way too young to encourage pulling. Their lower jaw is soft and not set yet.
It can lead to underbite, and actually weaken a bite.
I never use these means (flirt poles/spring poles), but that is from personal experience.
As for running, start small and increase gradually. Every dog is different.
But they are pretty much pups until two years of age. Just don't over do it.
Also, know when your dog gets exhausted. The heartbeat never lies.
When their tongue is fully dropped and to the side, they are exhausted.

As for pulling a long board, if it's slow I would say start at 18+ months. JMO
Two years even better,

#9 ·
Just let a pup be a pup. Their bodies are still developing.
If you don't over do it things will be fine.

But I still discourage any flirt pole use or spring pole on any age dog.
Doesn't benefit them.
A rope to play tug of war is most I do. But not until I am sure their jaws are set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.