Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I'm just felt over this forum after I've been looking and searching for a good working pitbull for quite some time. I've talked to some of my bandog friends here in Denmark and ended up in here, so now I really hope you can help me out ;-)

I love this breed and I personally think it's the ultimate dog for almost every task... And here is my first question... except guarding, PP and defense work. Are there any serious breeders out there, that breed for a good allaround purpose Pitbull now-a-days?
I've been looking alot on some alternative bulldogs, presas and bandogs but I'm not just 100% pleased yet which I think I would be with this breed if they had what it takes to be a man stopper for my house. The bandogs are a bit too extreme and presas has way too high rank drive. The bulldogs are too friendly and most of them got this handicappet face (johnson/EB)

I hope someone can help me find my new companion...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know Pitbulls are quite hard to find in the working industri as they simply are too people friendly and loves everyone, even the intruder.

What I'm looking for is the following drives:

High prey drive.
Very strong nerves.
Medium defence.
Very athletic and able to jump around. Not being one big lazy muscle.
Scott Ambull size muzzle not Johnson for better grip.
Large, wide, flat and solid "box"-head.
Strong dog with lots of muscle.
Being able to defend itself easy against other breeds that would attack the family or the dog unmotivated (Not dogfight or anything near that, it just has to be able to stand ud for itself but still be able to be socialized to be around and play with other dogs).
Low as possible rank drive.
The intruders worst nightmare...
My best friend and companion for life.

I can offer it tons of socialization, boundaries and jobs. A large closed yard to run around and play in with my other dog and me. I will be training with some serious working people. I'm a very good hearthed person and so are my friends and family so it will get tons of love.
I need it as a friend. I need it to be stable around the naighbours dogs and children. I need it for guarding my house when not around. I need it for training and just to play around with and have fun all together.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Then I think you need to keep looking at other breeds.The apbt is not a good guarding breed.They will do terrible.They will sit there and lick an intruder to death and help him carry all of your possessions out the door if he could.lol

Another thing is that you possibly would not be able to let a apbt run around and play in your yard with another dog.Apbt's are DA.They want human companions,not dog companions.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I breed that match the first part of your wish list but when you start getting into a guardian where they would fight off intruders that is where you off base. This breed is not bred to be a guardian. You need to keep looking at other breeds and not use an APBT as your family protector.
There is no way I would place a dog when that is what you want. I could see encouragement to be a guardian which can turn into HA.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Best guard do I ever owned was a Johnson American Bulldog. He was a big old cuddle bug inside around the family but try and break into my house and your done for. I remember walking him around the neighborhood one night and all of a sudden some creepy guy jumped out of the alley as I was walking by. I think he was gunna try to mug me or something. As soon as Mack saw him jump he circled around me and let out the deepest growl/bark I ever heard form him. The guy got scared and went the other way, but not before he threatened to stab Mack. LOL yea right try and get close enough to stab a dog that big loll.
After Mack passed away we had people try to do home invasions twice and were totally saved by Marley. Dosia, my APBT was also saved by Marley. Some one was trying to steal him and Marley sacred them away.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Best guard do I ever owned was a Johnson American Bulldog. He was a big old cuddle bug inside around the family but try and break into my house and your done for. I remember walking him around the neighborhood one night and all of a sudden some creepy guy jumped out of the alley as I was walking by. I think he was gunna try to mug me or something. As soon as Mack saw him jump he circled around me and let out the deepest growl/bark I ever heard form him. The guy got scared and went the other way, but not before he threatened to stab Mack. LOL yea right try and get close enough to stab a dog that big loll.
After Mack passed away we had people try to do home invasions twice and were totally saved by Marley. Dosia, my APBT was also saved by Marley. Some one was trying to steal him and Marley sacred them away.
:rofl::rofl: Way to go Marley.

But yeah, at the shelter we temperament test the dogs, including what they'd do if someone knocked on the door and come in. Almost all the APBT (sometimes we get papered surrenders)and mixes come in don't make a sound, instead they stand by the door looking expectantly waiting for the person to come through so they can smother them.

Some guy came up to our house the other day, saw me walking Alice and turned away... He came back the day after asking what forms of security we had in the house. (Talking through a screen door) Dakota started barking and growling, hair standing on end. Before we could reply he said "Nevermind" and turned and walked away. :stick:
Yeah... not a guardian breed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
have you looked into the Cane Corso breed? They are an amazing breed for that kind of stuff.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
For some reason i have been attracted to dogos lately. Big strong owner protective fierce to the death type dogs. White trademark they have is hard to get out of your memory
they're prone deafness as well as the white is associated with genetic disorders that require pigment for proper development like hearing and eye sight.

paraphrased from the american bandogge thread, also fact checked it

@ onchat

look into bandogges thats another great option. there are a few breeders that breed great dane x apbt bandogges just something to look into if your truely interested in the danexapbt bandogges talk to kmdogs he knows his stuff, and if you might be interested in a bandogge in general talk to chimera kennels he's also extremely knowledgeable

caucasian ovcharka, are another guardian dog their big and fluffy and remind you of a st bernard kinda but their extremely protective of their pack.

there are many dogs far more suited for guardian and pp work than pitbulls

·
Registered
36 Posts
I guy I train with has some real good working pits that are well balanced but will also protect at all cost and he is breeding one of his females later this year. Check out Home Page and look at Zizi

1 - 17 of 17 Posts