Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I brought home the sweetest little guy my new bff, Jaxx. He was a little shy and nervous which is understandable seeing as I just took him away from his family and 13 brothers and sisters. Anyways, I'm concerned with his weight and wonder if I should feed him more. He is 7 weeks and weighs about 5-6 lbs(he wouldnt be still on the scale) but I can see his little ribs and the bones by his butt and shoulders. My food (Wellness core which is grain free) says to feed him 1 cup a day. He acts like he has never seen food before when I put it in the bowl its gone in a minute! I'm thinking maybe its because he was part of such a big litter that maybe he didnt get to the food enough :/ idk! I just want him to be healthy, hes already stolen my heart and I want to do all I can to make sure I have his too :love2:

Sorry for the looong post. Any advice would be super helpful...first time mommy here!

I attatched a pic but you can just tell hes tiny, you cant see the bones in it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
if bones are showing I'd increase the food amount. Do you have a vet appointment for him? That would be priority too. Cain was about 6 pounds at 8 weeks and he came from a big litter (14) too. He's 70 pounds now lol. All pups will grow differently. I would get to vet for vaccinations and increase his food. If you post a better picture others could probably tell you better if he's too skinny etc. he is cute though. Welcome to the forum:)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
That weight sounds about right for the age. If you can see the waistline from a view standing over the dog that is normal. I would be concerned about seeing bones from the side. You are feeding the right amount though. Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm trying to find a good vet around where I live getting recommendations from friends and stuff. I'll try and snap another pic,it's hard to catch him being still unless hes asleep lol How much should I increase it by? I dont wanna over feed him and hurt his belly. He's been going poop like crazy but nothing runny all hard lol sorry tmi

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
I'm trying to find a good vet around where I live getting recommendations from friends and stuff. I'll try and snap another pic,it's hard to catch him being still unless hes asleep lol How much should I increase it by? I dont wanna over feed him and hurt his belly. He's been going poop like crazy but nothing runny all hard lol sorry tmi
Lol nbd I would increase maybe 1/4 cup to start. but I am by no means an expert that is just where i would start. Where are you from? Maybe others on here can help direct you to a vet?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok heres a pic from the side its kinda blurry because he is playing, I hope yall can see it. And thank you for the help!!! :) I live in Southport,NC...its a small place.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
he definitely needs to put on some weight. but puppies will do that very quickly.
i would increase the daily amount by adding additional servings. don't let him gorge himself in one sitting. but feed him more often.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh no now I'm really freaking out! lol I'm definitely gonna call a vet tmrw!
Thank you for your help!!!

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
no don't freak out.
your puppy will be fine. a check up is a good idea though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Worms is a definite possiblity as they can deprive your puppy of nutrition. No worries, easy fix. Hopefully the frequency of his potty trips will get under control with age. I know I just asked my vet about my dog going a lot more than normal. Vet recommended I switch food and it worked out great.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you I appreciate it! The frequent bathroom may be because he was being fed wet pedigree(yuck) and I switched him over yesterday. So I think he's getting used to his new food but if it continues I will def change it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's what I first looked at to pick his food. I decided on the Wellness because I like that it's grain and gluten free and I liked all of the reviews I read(not too many on here) but Jaxx seems to love it! I know it's a million times better than that pedigree lol I'll keep you guys posted on my boy! Thanks again everybody for the info(and support lol)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts