Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had it with Bruno peeing in his kennel. He did it again last night,after I had JUST laid his clean blankets in there.
A long time ago he chewed through the black bottom of the crate,so all there is is the bars.
So now,instead of a blanket,I put a big moving box(laid flat) in there instead.

Think that is ok? Or will he just chew it up? I don't know what to do anymore,and I am NOT giving him anymore blankets.
Should I get him a diaper?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
They have something called belly bands for boys instead of diapers. I haven't really dealt with male dogs before so I don't have any other useful advice.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Has he been checked out at the vet for a possible UTI? I had a lab that was completely trained and never had an issue then all of a sudden he started voiding in his crate. I was getting so frustrated and ppl kept telling me he was mad at me for some reason etc. He never voided anywhere else in the house (that I noticed), just his crate. I took him to the vet and he had a UTI. Once that cleared up he stopped voiding in his crate. Just a thought...

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Yeah, limited success with the belly band here. The one they said was sized for dogs 30-90 lbs ended up being huge and slid right off Superman. But I guess I could say that he never peed while he had it on. Personally, I don't find changing the bedding to be mean. Whenever our pups would backslide into peeing in their crates, I'd yank out the blankets and put their butts on shredded newspaper, or sometimes, nothing.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He has been checked out by the vet several times before,and they can't find anything wrong with him.
They said it could be he;s acting out,cause he isn't exercised enough....and I have been sick for 3 days(going on 4)
But he does that if he gets a long walk/playtime or not.
and he does it when he's mad too. I think it's a behavior issue.

·
Premium Member
5,074 Posts
If you leave the belly band on him in the crate he may just pull or chew it off. My shih tzu did that.

With the clean blankets make sure you don't use fabric softener. My shih tzu would do the same thing as Bruno. We found out he would pee on them if we use fabric softener or if another dog (even the dogs he lives with) would get their scent on his blankets.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Copper my GSP would do the same thing.He is 4 yrs old and would Pee in his crate.Then one time I caught him sitting in the crate and instead of just peeing in it.He would bend foward and drink it!!! So gross.He stoped that thank God.But still annoying.But he was a basket case.As the lady we got him from kept him caged 24/7. :(

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Take his blankets.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I think he is a dirty dog...Cause he will poop in there sometimes too :/
How is he in the house? How old is he and how long has this been going on? I had a GSD who became incontinent as he got older. He wore a belly band the last two years he was alive. I never put one on a male for behavior reasons though. I have heard about some people owning "dirty dogs" but I would never put up with that behavior. I had a couple cats over the years who I had to give up for going potty in the house. I also had them checked for medical issues and nothing was wrong. Vet said she and he were dirty cats and there wasn't much choice for me but to give them up. They ruined my wall to wall rugs :( have you consulted with a behaviorist? Might be worth trying :)

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Do you use the same blankets or have you tried buying different ones. It could be the smell is not totally out of them. You could either buy a good disinfective or go to the second hand store and get some different blankets and try that. I had this trouble with a dog bed that we bought one of the dogs the youngest one peed on it. I washed it used bleach on it and put back down the dogs woud go to it and pee on it. I eneded up washing it several times in a row with lots of bleach each time then put it in the sun for a day. They didnt pee on it again.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Sounds as if he may be a dirty dog or just doing because he can... I would not get rid of an animal for being dirty... Thats just putting the problem on someone elses shoulders... And PTS for being dirty is not an option for me either... Sometimes they just are... We had an all white APBT that was like this too... Only in her kennel and she would poo and pee to her hearts content and then just lay in it... It was a nightmare... I did end out making her an outside dog with complete shelter and continous one on one time daily but I couldnt have her in the brand new house we had just bought... I know you are in a apartment and thats not an option but it was my only option...

·
Premium Member
5,098 Posts
The thing with the blankets is that it soaks up the urine and can be used to cover up poo so they can just shove it to the side. You always hear that dogs won't void where they sleep but if they can cover it up like this it may not be enough of a deterrent. Try not having anything in the crate and see if that helps. He might think twice about making a puddle if there is nothing there to soak it up.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Have you tried washing the blanket in the wash with vinegar. If it does have a scent this will destroy the scent. I'm a vinegar queen. I use it for so many things. I got the habit from my grandma. She believed it worked for everything. lol

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How is he in the house? How old is he and how long has this been going on? I had a GSD who became incontinent as he got older. He wore a belly band the last two years he was alive. I never put one on a male for behavior reasons though. I have heard about some people owning "dirty dogs" but I would never put up with that behavior. I had a couple cats over the years who I had to give up for going potty in the house. I also had them checked for medical issues and nothing was wrong. Vet said she and he were dirty cats and there wasn't much choice for me but to give them up. They ruined my wall to wall rugs :( have you consulted with a behaviorist? Might be worth trying :)
He marks in the house too. I try taking him out like every 15-30 min(re potty training him) but it still fails.
He's about 3 now. I should actually consult one...I'm at a loss of what to do. I've never had a male dog who marked,so this is all new to me.
We did have a fat cat who sprayed everywhere,turned out he had an infection.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you use the same blankets or have you tried buying different ones. It could be the smell is not totally out of them. You could either buy a good disinfective or go to the second hand store and get some different blankets and try that. I had this trouble with a dog bed that we bought one of the dogs the youngest one peed on it. I washed it used bleach on it and put back down the dogs woud go to it and pee on it. I eneded up washing it several times in a row with lots of bleach each time then put it in the sun for a day. They didnt pee on it again.
Hmm. That could be it,these are not the best washing machines.
I will try washing and bleaching them a few times at a laundry mat,if that does not work,I will buy some used ones.
Thanks for the tip.:woof:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts