Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short...my in-laws chicken ran at my dogs, Leo killed it, and now they say we have to get rid of him. I packed up all of my things and was ready to move out in order to keep my dog...but I don't know if its worth getting a divorce from my husband? My dogs are like my kids and I love them dearly...and I really can not find a right answer in this equation... if I leave with both dogs ill be miserable leaving my husband...but if I stay and get rid of Leo I will be miserable and forever hate my in-laws... :'( I just need advice because I'm completely lost and of course all of my family is saying "its just a dog". Only my friends understand that they're like family...

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
I'm sure he loves you. So hopefully he will try to understand your passion for your dogs. Both of you might have to move out.

My wife never wanted a dog...much less a pit bull and I'm just about to get my second one lol

She knows I love em! Good luck God bless u guys

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Your dog killed a chicken.....big deal. Do they not know what prey drive is??? My girl killed a squirrel. I'm sure if Leo killed a wild animal and not a precious chicken that belonged to family they could have cared less! Stop letting people push you around. I'm a dominant female so I wouldn't let anyone tell me to get rid of my dog for doing what was normal. Stick up for him and yourself.....running from problems never solves anything. Personally, I would ditch my husband before my dog. Afterall, dogs are far more loyal ;) Plus, if I remember correctly you have been having issues with your S.O. for awhile now over the dogs especially Leo..... and your husband has threatened to get rid of him before. Sounds like this is just another reason to get rid of him.

Reactions: dixieland

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
As bnb said id stick up for my dog and if that failed I'd most certainly choose my dog over any man that wouldn't be by your side. isn't worth it to begin with!

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
I nearly did, he thought I was bluffing about leaving. He swore we had to get rid of the dogs. As a newborn and 3 dogs are too much. Pffftt 'your not the one looking after them all, I am' I'm capable and looking after OH aswell ontop of the dogs and kid.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I agree with the above, hell yeah I would chose my dog over my husband, but that's just because I hate being told what to do or else. I know some people love chickens like family, I say who cares, its just a chicken, lol, but can't you get them another one or put them behind a fence, make a coop so your dog cant get into. Or don't let your dog out without a leash so he cant get near where he isn't supposed to go. you should be able to find a way to make sure it does not happens again.

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
IF you are living in your inlaws home giving them up is obviously something you have no choice but to do. You have to do whats best for you in that kind of situation if you cannot find a way to resolve any issues they have with the dogs. Monitor them more closely or come to some sort of common ground on where they are allowed.

Myself I would leave with my dog there is no way on this green earth anyone would force me to give up my boy, and a spouse, boyfriend , family, whom ever would know this from day ONE!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I would never give my dogs up over anyone. Its your life though and you have to live with the consiquence so its up to you. They maybe were just very angry and talking when really upset sometimes things are said that arent always thought through. I would talk with them and maybe find some common ground and maybe work something out where you better contain your dog , get a dog run or crate when you arent out with him and use a leash perhaps. I know on our family farm if a dog kills a chicken thats it , it has the taste and will more often then not do it again and again. Our options on the farm is A. rehome to a city home B. shoot it. { farm dogs arent usually pitbulls due to the prey drive , and we dont usually have dog runs on the farm the dogs are there to work and help out , so a lil different situation then yours im guessing}

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
I would possibly ask my in-laws to give the household a couple days to calm down from it, think out your options and see if there is anything you can do to live peacefully. Replace the chicken. Was anybody watching Leo when he killed the chicken? Don't let Leo out unattended. Keep him on leash. there is plenty of things that you can do that might put the in-laws at ease and you can still keep Leo. I don't like to think of things in ways of leave the hubby or get rid of Leo. Try to work things out before thinking about leaving the house

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
You have to compromise like any other relationship. You meet in the middle.

From my stand point, you're at your in-laws, its not your place. Im sure from the in-laws point of view, i would be angry too. Especially, of an animal. You have to remember that not everyone in the world are dog/pitbull lovers. They could care less about a dog. Im sure there is much much more to the story than just a chicken being killed, the chicken can be replaced with another chicken. Here is the twist, what if this chicken ment to them alot just like your dog means alot to you.

It comes down to respect, and respecting each others property. When my dogs are trouble making chewing up others stuff, i make sure to replace whatever my dog broke, and make sure that next time it wont happen.

In this case it seems that your dog has been doing much more trouble making than just killing the chicken, or else it would have been overlooked as an accident

As for my opinion, If your husband cannot meet with you in the middle, then he is not worth it. Compromise is the key to a relationship.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm not sure of all the circumstances, but the basic thing seems to be that you're living with your husband at his parents place. If it's their place they have a right to have pet chickens, squirrels, bunnies or whatever they want roaming around unmolested and if they say your dog can't live there - then your dog can't live there.

On the other hand, if your husband is less your husband and more of their child, and didn't want to leave with me and the dog he could stay there and suck his thumb for all I would care if I were in that situation.

You didn't say in this thread why you are living with them, but if you have the means to leave - and it sounds like you do - I don't know why you and your husband are even there.

I love my husband. He loves me. And he would never ask me to give up my dog. If he did - he wouldn't be the man I've always thought he was. So, yeah - I'd take my dog and not look back. But that's me - and my relationships are grounded in mutual respect.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually there's not much more to the story. I had my dog on a 2 or 3 ft chain leash and kept moving him away from the chicken and the chicken kept running at the dogs. After a certain point there was no more I could do as the chicken ran at them too quickly for me to move. Usually I can just pop their jaw, but I think because the chicken had been attacked by a stray dog earlier in the week and was already half dying that Leos bite was the straw that broke the camels back in its death... and they didn't really care about the chicken it had some disease that they never care about treating...missing feathers and sores and such all over the body...

·
Banned
283 Posts
I agree. If your husband would rather live with mommy and daddy then you should take the dogs and try to start a new life.

Now you don't necessarily have to get a divorce right away (in fact in NC you have to be separated for a year before you can), you can just separate and rub in his face how awesome it is to be out on your own and then maybe he will see the light of day and join you. And if not then its ultimately his loss, and he was destined to be a momma's boy.

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
going out on the limb here...
No I would not get a divorce over my dogs.
My child needs to grow up with a dad in his everyday life. And it will be his real dad not a step dad. My child will not call someone else daddy... IMO kids need both parents, not one or the other.
idk your circumstances for living with your inlaws, but like stated before its all about respect. their house their rules, plain and simple. If it were your house tell them to kick rocks.
I couldnt stand to live with my inlaws so that would never happen, we would get a divorce before even getting to that point.
But your husband needs to meet you in the middle like everyone already said. marriage is all about compromise.
Here's my deal; Either the dogs stay and you guys live with your inlaws, or you go and take the dog to your own place. BUT, im just going to throw this out there. in thiis day and age its hard to buy a house on one income, so finding an apartment with a pitbull isnt going to be easy. harder with multiple dogs...
you can always get another dog when the time is right, just make sure you place your dog responsibly. But if he's making this an excuse to get rid of all your dogs that would be problem of him not willing to compromise.

·
Registered
27 Posts
lol finaly some one feels the same as i do

in all honesty i would i feel the same way my puppy is one of my kids and i also know that out of every one and everthing in this world my pup will be there for me threw thick and thin as long as i dont treat him badly and give lots of love to him (just my personal thoughts though)
:roll:

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Fortunately i wouldn't have that problem but if i did i would leave. The fact that the dogs are being put in the middle and as "bait" for the relationship should sum up everything you need to know to make a decision. If i remember correctly this isn't the first time you've had trouble going on in the household, regardless of who started what there comes a point where you need decide whats best for you and whats best for the dogs.

I personally couldn't be with someone that isn't a dog person, my passion for dogs isn't something i'm just going to "give up" in order to be with someone.. Eventually it would just cause problems. Just as someone who has no desire to really want or care for a dog probably shouldn't be with someone who wants to always have a dog.. It just wouldn't work. Its possible to work out a "middle ground" in any relationship however when it comes to dogs (or other pets) they shouldn't be a part of that "middle ground".. At least not to a significant level where its either they stay or they dont.

Its up to you on what you do, no one here can force you to make any decision however you need to look at your life as a whole, how healthy is this relationship? Do you honestly see this relationship long term or are you sticking around for ______ reason? Do whats right for you because in the end and especially in todays age, you really need to look after yourself first and foremost.. Unless kids are involved of course because they should always come first.. But you get the idea.

Also, im not sure if there are kids in situation or not but i actually disagree with Nizmo on the child factor, i do agree that kids do need their father and mother in their lives as frequent as possible.. Though if i a child is growing up along side of constant fighting, yelling, etc i don't really think its worth sticking around for.. Though every situation is going to be different so i can't really say i disagree with Nizmo completely. :)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts