Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just watched the new show clone my dog, OMG. I know there are crazy cat ladys but never thought there were crazy dog people LIKE to the extent we just watched. They are offering people to clone there dog , some scientist is Seoul Korea. It said the people paid upwards of $50,000 to clone there pet { 2 of the 3 we saw today were just random mutts lol , like not even show dogs or anything}. I know when you love a dog so much its not about the money but cmon $50,000?

They took cells from tissue samples of there passed dogs, and then cloned it into an embryo with the same cells and implanted into a serrogate mom. It was crazy , this one lasy got her blue presa I believe he was and OMG so cute, but thought you can get any blue pup from another presa litter they will look close to the same. one of the owners ended up with 2 clones they impregnate 5 bitches and usually they are lucky if one takes but they got 2. I found it interesting { the people kinda freaked me out they are a bit out there } but it was interesting on the scientific part.

I thought about if I would clone or not, although it would be fun to have a bunch of crush's around I dont think I could ever see doing this even if money was no issue. I dont think they are getting the same dog the soul doesnt transfer over I believe, You may end up with a dog with the same look but it will come down to environmental surroundings and training as to how the dog comes out personality wise and behavioural.

Curious what the rest of you thought and if anyone had gotten a chance to watch this show?{ think it was on the other day i just t-vo everything and am a bit late lol}

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
As tempting as it sounds, you're right, it wouldn't be the same dog. That's like thinking that identical twins are the same person because they have identical DNA. Each person or animal is an individual and their personality development has much to do with outside factors unrelated to their genetics.

So no, as much as I would love to lay eyes on Brutus again I know it won't be happening this side of the bridge :(

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Did no one see Pet Cemetery?? I know they would come back different! There is no way something isn't lost in the translation. Especially if its a different embryo, something has to be different even if the cells are the same the surrogate must have SOME type of effect on the growth I would think? Or maybe its like photocopies, the more you do it the less clear it is, I am sure some brain cells or intelligence would be lacking, just by being a copy and not the real thing... or maybe I am just to freaked out by it lol

Do they act the same as the old dog on the show?

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
As tempting as it sounds, you're right, it wouldn't be the same dog. That's like thinking that identical twins are the same person because they have identical DNA. Each person or animal is an individual and their personality development has much to do with outside factors unrelated to their genetics.

So no, as much as I would love to lay eyes on Brutus again I know it won't be happening this side of the bridge :(
:goodpost: $50,000 just doesn't make any sense when it's not the same dog. Better to get a pup with similar blood if you want something close. I think the people who do this are going to be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont know , the pup licked her and peed on her carpet and she was like trouble used to do that { lol what puppy doesnt pee on carpet or lick people?}. Id like to see the cloned dogs years down the road see if there is any side effects of this or if they really are similar to the other dog. Although with the people on the show tonight I dont think you would get a true answer they are so caught up in there old dog I dont think they would look at it from a open view , they would rationalize everything to being "its my old dog back". Would be interesting to see an outside study done to see exactly how close it is to the original dogs.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I think you're right, angel. If the dog looks the same, the owners would convince themselves that everything it did was just like the old dog and you wouldn't be getting the full story.

Not for me but I suppose if someone had the money and really missed their old dog, I wouldn't try to convince them not to do it.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I think there are side effects to the cloning. I believe there is something with the age of the cells used in the cloning process. The cloned animals cells are as old as the animal used not like a newborn's cells. Tired right now so I don't know if I explained right.

Haven't seen the show. There is one dog I would clone just for the hope the dog might be similar.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I think there are side effects to the cloning. I believe there is something with the age of the cells used in the cloning process. The cloned animals cells are as old as the animal used not like a newborn's cells. Tired right now so I don't know if I explained right.

Haven't seen the show. There is one dog I would clone just for the hope the dog might be similar.
So does that mean the clone dog would have a shorter than normal lifespan?

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
mammals brains use chemical as well as physical stimuli to attain the grades of consciousness they have. it would be a brand new dog of what is was really, at least mentally

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Although the idea is fascinating, I would not do it. It's more of something I'd go "Oh, could you tell me more?" but I would not allow my own dogs to be part of it. They're something special, we shouldn't need to "make another". In a way it ruins their individuality. But that's my opinion.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
No...never! And I think that wacko lady from NY is nuts for cloning her dog that's been making headlines. She sleeps with her old dogs ashes, had a blanket made of him for her bed, had a huge mural painted on her wall of his face and is now waiting on her second cloned lhasa apso or whatever that breed is she owns. I always hear the term "crazy cat lady" which is usually a single woman who lives with multiple cats. This lady is by far a crazy dog woman and after seeing her on Good Morning America last week I can see why she's still single. If you would rather share your bed with a dead dogs ashes instead of a man then you have issues LOL!!! Oh, and not to mention that you are having your dog cloned in Korea where they eat dogs and have the most unethical standards when it comes to animal treatment.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you willing to spend $50,000 on cloning your dog, it must have been really special.

Why ruin a good memory, your cloned dog might have a completely different personality and drive you crazy and even drive you to giving it away.

No thanks, I would rather give another dog a chance and have good memories of my old dog :)

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
If you willing to spend $50,000 on cloning your dog, it must have been really special.

Why ruin a good memory, your cloned dog might have a completely different personality and drive you crazy and even drive you to giving it away.

No thanks, I would rather give another dog a chance and have good memories of my old dog :)
yep me too

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
it will have a different personality

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No...never! And I think that wacko lady from NY is nuts for cloning her dog that's been making headlines. She sleeps with her old dogs ashes, had a blanket made of him for her bed, had a huge mural painted on her wall of his face and is now waiting on her second cloned lhasa apso or whatever that breed is she owns. I always hear the term "crazy cat lady" which is usually a single woman who lives with multiple cats. This lady is by far a crazy dog woman and after seeing her on Good Morning America last week I can see why she's still single. If you would rather share your bed with a dead dogs ashes instead of a man then you have issues LOL!!! Oh, and not to mention that you are having your dog cloned in Korea where they eat dogs and have the most unethical standards when it comes to animal treatment.
Did you see the show? sounds just like the lady that was on it. Her dogs name was trouble and was some lhapso mutt thing. She had a big painting of him on her wall and talked to it . She was engaged until the dog came along. Her dad tried to talk her out of it, when the scientists called her saying they are cloneing she had just lost her job. I think they worked with her and made it more affordable but still im sure it was in the 10's of thousands. She was crazy though, she compared her dogs death to her moms death saying the dog was worse { I know some may have moms they feel that way . but looks like she is close with family atleast her dad}.
Im with the rest of you Id rather remember my dog for who they were and the good memories and give another dog the chance to make some new ones then spend $50,000 for a look alike.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Did you see the show? sounds just like the lady that was on it. Her dogs name was trouble and was some lhapso mutt thing. She had a big painting of him on her wall and talked to it . She was engaged until the dog came along. Her dad tried to talk her out of it, when the scientists called her saying they are cloneing she had just lost her job. I think they worked with her and made it more affordable but still im sure it was in the 10's of thousands. She was crazy though, she compared her dogs death to her moms death saying the dog was worse { I know some may have moms they feel that way . but looks like she is close with family atleast her dad}.
Im with the rest of you Id rather remember my dog for who they were and the good memories and give another dog the chance to make some new ones then spend $50,000 for a look alike.
I didn't watch the show your speaking of but they interviewed the same lady they were doing that show on, on good morning America last week. Instead of her having to pay the Dr. In Korea $100,000 she only had to pay half that because they we're doing a story on it for TV. Dead dogs name was Trouble now the clone is "Double Trouble" and now she is also getting a second one named "Triple Trouble"! Lady is nuts!

·
Registered
117 Posts
They've actually tested once on just how much alike the clones are to the originals. They look the same but are not. One dog had a complely diff personality. They made 3 copies of a race horse and none of them were anywhere close to the performance of the original. In the end to me it's a waste of 50,000. your just getting a VERY VERY expensive puppy/kitten/whatever

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ill just wait until the price goes down. Ill clone my gf.
LMFAO. This will be the new mail order bride huh? lol, send in a pic of what you want and have clones of all your fav movie stars? LOLOLOLOL

1 - 20 of 28 Posts