Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just curious with all the WP and spring pole dogs if anyones pits/bullies ever suffer any injuries? My vet is thinking Bella has possible tendonitis but in her case it would be from running, playing fetch, and jumping on and off walls. I have had her on crate rest since last Wednesday and she has a Vet appointment for this Thursday morning. My vet who my family has been going to for 30 years spoke to me over the phone and told me to keep her on crate rest until he sees her and it may sound like she hyper extended her front right wrist. I guess very active dogs like pulling dogs, sled dogs, agility dogs etc. can suffer injuries like this. Bella who is only 8 months hasn't cried out in pain and she does bare weight on it, though you can tell she isn't putting full weight on it and she limps and is favoring the leg. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this with there dog and what the protocol has been in the healing process. Thanks :)

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
I can't use the flirtpole with Bernie because he ends up limping 1 out of 4 times. He has no issues weight pulling or tugging but it's the quick change of directions of the flirtpole and the sudden stiopping that is very dangerous for him. He is a thick dog and carries too much weight to be shifting his weight around like that. I have made him as lean as possible and I haven't seen any limping or anything like that again, I still won't let him play with the flirtpole though. He can play fetch and play with other dogs full speed but I won't try the pole again with him. He is on vitamin c, glucosamine and MSM for his joints. Just a week ago he was spining in circles going nuts when he was playing with my wife's friends dogs so maybe all those supplements and the weight pulling has helped his joints.

I can tell you that the only true way to detect any joint problems is to get an x-ray. After Bernie limped couple of times from flirt poling he got a "check up" from my great vet nottt lol and he told me his hips were in excellent shape. A week later I got him x-rayed and you can see dysplasia in his hips so a manual exam can workout if the dog is in bad shape and can react immediately to the discomfort of the joint manipulation, however, if your dog still limps from time to time and doesn't react to the vet's exams you might want to get him x-rayed because this is the true way to know.

·
Registered
600 Posts
What have you done with your dogs ie;to what level ?

I never had an issue with wp but i was very carefull with the dog involved[only competed with one dog] but i have had one dog develop it from too much springpole work and the setting was about 10% too high , the dog was on it tip toes and simply couldnt deal with the stress and it was all my fault through inexperience. Said dog got a lot of rest and no work at all untill cleared.

I have taken one into my care that was damaged due to a moron owner who was pulling with the dog way too young and stressed maximum growth and that dog could not be fixed.
One other that there was no reason behind its condition but the consensus was that we were not told the truth, this dog needed extra protein and calcium but was also a very young dog.

What are the conditions you work the dog in? Do you WP?

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys! Junkyard, I don't do any WP, spring or flirt pole with her. She is only 8 months. I am very active myself so we will walk/jog and play fetch. Bella likes to jump on and off of stone walls on one of our walking routes and I have pretty much broken her of the habit but once in awhile, while on her 6ft leash she will just jump up. Over a week ago we were playing fetch and she over ran the ball and rolled on to her back. She is like a bolt of lightening running and runs hard. She still wants to run and when I let her out of her crate for a potty break she acts as if her injury doesn't even phase her much but she is limping and favoring the paw. I was going to have the vet do an X-ray and then I was told they would probably give her an anti-inflammatory. I am like a googling fool and researched tendonitis in dogs. The injury that she has sounds like what it may be. Just my guess though. I just hope with continued crate rest and what ever the vet will give her we can overcome this fast...........no life for a dog in a crate and I was supposed to be starting another OB class with intro to agility.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys! Junkyard, I don't do any WP, spring or flirt pole with her. She is only 8 months. I am very active myself so we will walk/jog and play fetch. Bella likes to jump on and off of stone walls on one of our walking routes and I have pretty much broken her of the habit but once in awhile, while on her 6ft leash she will just jump up. Over a week ago we were playing fetch and she over ran the ball and rolled on to her back. She is like a bolt of lightening running and runs hard. She still wants to run and when I let her out of her crate for a potty break she acts as if her injury doesn't even phase her much but she is limping and favoring the paw. I was going to have the vet do an X-ray and then I was told they would probably give her an anti-inflammatory. I am like a googling fool and researched tendonitis in dogs. The injury that she has sounds like what it may be. Just my guess though. I just hope with continued crate rest and what ever the vet will give her we can overcome this fast...........no life for a dog in a crate and I was supposed to be starting another OB class with intro to agility.
The high jumping is no good, I would stop her from that. There is too much impat on the joints and she is still very young. Is she fixed? Also, most reputable clubs will not let you take a real agility class until you x-ray the dog to make sure you won't damage the dog in the activity.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Get it checked out and rest the dog.

I can honestly say that i have never seen it in a dog that couldnt be traced back to something else ie; it was obvious why it happened. From what i have first hand its pretty rare without a reason that you can trace it back to.

If possible trace back to the sire and dam and further if you can simple things like this can come up in the ped if it is not from the early pup days to something in the genes.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The high jumping is no good, I would stop her from that. There is too much impat on the joints and she is still very young. Is she fixed? Also, most reputable clubs will not let you take a real agility class until you x-ray the dog to make sure you won't damage the dog in the activity.
Yes, the high jumping will end for good! No, she is not fixed yet. Why do you ask? Just curious :) I initially was looking into possibly showing her as a "classic" bully but that is fastly going down the drain as she is just to chicken and wouldn't be a good canidate for the show ring. I know alot of phyisical activity can do damage on the joints....makes me feel bad for these dogs that do WP. I don't care for that sport as it just seems to put so much strain on a dogs body. I do like to watch the dogs competing though. Just not something I would take part in with my own dog. For now once she is well I will just go back to OB and probably skip the agility. X-ray is a definite thurs. morning.....I will let you know what they say :)

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Yes, the high jumping will end for good! No, she is not fixed yet. Why do you ask? Just curious :) I initially was looking into possibly showing her as a "classic" bully but that is fastly going down the drain as she is just to chicken and wouldn't be a good canidate for the show ring. I know alot of phyisical activity can do damage on the joints....makes me feel bad for these dogs that do WP. I don't care for that sport as it just seems to put so much strain on a dogs body. I do like to watch the dogs competing though. Just not something I would take part in with my own dog. For now once she is well I will just go back to OB and probably skip the agility. X-ray is a definite thurs. morning.....I will let you know what they say :)
What are they going to x-ray hips and elbows ? Whatever they do ask them if you have a digital copy of the x-ray so you can share it with us. I hope they position your dog correct too. I was just asking about her being fixed since dogs that are fixed too soon develop orthopedic problems according to a lot of research that I have done. Perhaps not the regular activy house pet but dogs engaged in sports.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What are they going to x-ray hips and elbows ? Whatever they do ask them if you have a digital copy of the x-ray so you can share it with us. I hope they position your dog correct too. I was just asking about her being fixed since dogs that are fixed too soon develop orthopedic problems according to a lot of research that I have done. Perhaps not the regular activy house pet but dogs engaged in sports.
Well at this point I just want them to X-ray the right front leg that she is limping on. I will ask them about getting a digital copy....Yes, I am aware about them having orthopedic problems if they are fixed to soon. I to have done mad research on it :D I was going to let her mature before I take anything away ;)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get it checked out and rest the dog.

I can honestly say that i have never seen it in a dog that couldnt be traced back to something else ie; it was obvious why it happened. From what i have first hand its pretty rare without a reason that you can trace it back to.

If possible trace back to the sire and dam and further if you can simple things like this can come up in the ped if it is not from the early pup days to something in the genes.
Parents are fine and all the pups are great to. I speak with the breeder about once a month. I honestly think it was to much activity with fetching and jumping on and off of walls. She definitley over did it......:)

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
My pup did that from jumping to a branch. He basically went out for potty breaks and thats it for 3 months. They told me to create him, but I just did not let him do anything in the house when I was home. Thats basically how I taught him to take it "easy" and to "wait". he used to follow me everywhere but with his paw, I just had him wait so he would not live in his crate. harder in the beginning, but after a few days he was fine and waited for me, and walked "easy" which was just slow. he would try to run and I would tell him easy and he would then walk. After 1 month, he seemed normal and took him for more than a bathroom break and he started limping again. I thien did the full 3 month lock down, only potty breaks and bones and frozen kings. 3 LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG MONTHS. 3 horrible long months. Now he has been fine and is able to go for branches again (if he sneaks it, I don't let him or encourage it like I used to) and then crate when alone. for 3. long. months....

poor Bella.... poor you!!

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why me! Two more days until the vets. She wants to run everytime I take her out to potty! I hope its nothing serious :(

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Good luck! I Ended up getting him an old treadmill to control his walking ( smooth surface and only as fast as i set it lol) and still get energy out. Hopeits good news!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts