Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I need to get Loki a weight pulling harness if I want him to do it just for fun and conditioning. I know that we wont get into any competitions but I think that he would LOVE it and it would bee good training.

He's 1 year old about 40 lbs, is there a cheaper type of harness I could get for him? I only plan on having him pull tires and maybe build him a drag sled.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
if your gonna be having him pull a sled or tires i would definately get a weightpull harness.. there are different harnesses but i was reccomend a weightpull harness for that kind of stuff :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
I was going to start my own thread and ask the same question, but I saw this one so figured I would just ask it here. I am also just wanting to do some pulling for fun, is a weightpull harness (such as the ones in circlemkennels' avatar) necessary or could I use something like Nizmo's new walking/working harness? What are the pros and cons of each? I really like the concept of Nizmo's harness, that it could be used for working or walking, but is it ok to use for pulling since it doesn't have the padding like the weight pull harnesses? Here's the link to Nizmo's harness, I would love to know opinions from some of the weightpull pro's. :) http://www.gopitbull.com/products-services/35296-proud-present-our-walking-working-harness.html

Reactions: Nizmo

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
i luv nizmos harness... i use that kind of harness on the jenny mill but wouldnt put weight behind them in that kind of harness :)

Reactions: Nizmo

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
if your going to do some hard conditioning, definently a WP harness would be your best bet.
if your going for some light drag weight, our harness's are awesome for that. we just added padding for the shoulder and chest straps.
but if your really going to be pulling a lot of weight, you want to have your dogs health as your first priority. you wanna make sure that the weight being pulled is evenly distributed. it'll make it easier from them to pull, more comfortable and just all around better for the dog with a bit of weight.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
if your going to do some hard conditioning, definently a WP harness would be your best bet.
if your going for some light drag weight, our harness's are awesome for that. we just added padding for the shoulder and chest straps.
but if your really going to be pulling a lot of weight, you want to have your dogs health as your first priority. you wanna make sure that the weight being pulled is evenly distributed. it'll make it easier from them to pull, more comfortable and just all around better for the dog with a bit of weight.
youll have to post some pics with the padding... ill have to check into a new one for the mill :D

·
Registered
536 Posts
i luv nizmos harness... i use that kind of harness on the jenny mill but wouldnt put weight behind them in that kind of harness :)
Thanks for responding, I am not planning on pulling a lot of weight, maybe a tire or a sled in the winter for the kids :) That being said, would a Nizmo harness be a good fit?

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Thanks for responding, I am not planning on pulling a lot of weight, maybe a tire or a sled in the winter for the kids :) That being said, would a Nizmo harness be a good fit?
nizmo said he had put some padding on his but i think a weightpull harness would be better for tires and the sled with kids on it :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. :) Where would you recommend ordering a weight-pull harness from? (I'm hoping shipping fees aren't going to be too bad, since I'm in Alaska and all... lol)

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Reactions: kodiakgirl

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just remembered, I do have a pulling harness, it's actually designed for huskies and sled pulling I think. I'm wondering if it might be OK for some leisure pulling, but am unsure about weight distribution, etc. and I know weightpull harnesses are specifically designed for that. I used it on Bullet once this winter, and it fit him then, but he's gained a little weight. Should I dig it out and take some pics of it on him and maybe you guys can tell me if it's good? If I can find it that is.. lol.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
If it's an X-Back Sledding harness, it's not meant for pulling something on the ground. You would need tracers and a spreader bar to balance the load, not to mention it would be pushing down on your dog's hips, and that's no good. Look on e bay.. from time to time they have WP harnesses for cheap. Or just lay down $60 + shipping for a well-fit, awesome harness from weightpullharness.com.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
we ordered one from tablerock you should check them out as well , great prices

Reactions: American_Pit13
1 - 14 of 14 Posts