Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ive never seen this on any of the other Pits Ive had, someone please help and if Im reposting or asking the same question you guys have gotten before I apologize Im just worried about my boy ya know, much respect..

-BAY..

(sorry if any images didnt work or anything Im new too the forum thing)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Ive never seen this on any of the other Pits Ive had, someone please help and if Im reposting or asking the same question you guys have gotten before I apologize Im just worried about my boy ya know, much respect..

-BAY..

(sorry if any images didnt work or anything Im new too the forum thing)
The pics came out, WOW.. A bit small but if you click on em you can view full size, sorry..

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
have you used a fine tooth comb and checked for flea eggs? mite be flea's causing him to scratch or bite the area. What about allergies? has he ever been tested for Mange? any other areas look raw (behind his ears, on the top of his head, any raised fur bumps?)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
have you used a fine tooth comb and checked for flea eggs? mite be flea's causing him to scratch or bite the area. What about allergies? has he ever been tested for Mange? any other areas look raw (behind his ears, on the top of his head, any raised fur bumps?)
Well Ive brought him too the local petco where every month they have an onsight vet who gives shots, and he gave me the frontline, and he said he didnt have fleas he looked him all over, he doesnt seem too nibble at it or anything, no other spots anywhere else, he does have a lil scab like thing on top of his head, but it seem like it is getting softer and going away, he does nibble tho and **** all over especially his tail, but not crazy like, seems like he just has an itch, but sometimes IDK, sorry if Im being a bother I just love this lil dude and dont want anything too happen too him, he is up to date on his shots and Ive given him the frontline plus thing twice so far and the vet at the petco thing said he is fine no reactions to any shots or doesnt seem too have any fleas/ticks or any kind of worms/parasites.....

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
The hair looks really thin overall, not just where he's scratching. I've been told that thin hair is a sign of demodex mange, but I've never experienced it personally so I wouldn't assume it is. If its not an external parasite, it could be something in the environment making him itch (fabric softener, dust, heat on in the house drying out his skin, etc). I would have a vet do a thorough exam and maybe a skin scrape to rule out parasites so you're not just spinning your wheels. Then go from there. Rule out parasites, environmental, and dietary.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i take it this is on his back legs? diesel has had that and it just went away after a couple of good oatmeal baths, every now and then i think he runs around the house and what not and gets a little bit scraped and that will pop up.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I would watch it and if it goes away it might just be weird house issue. Try the oatmeal bath like Diesel mentioned. I take a cup of oats (not instant oatmeal) and put it in my blender until it gets powdery. Then I fill the tub to the top with Luke warm water. I add a cup of boiling water I the powder and add it to the tub. I soak my boy for 15 minutes and drop the water on the parts not in the water the whole time, dont get it in the eyes. Dont rinse and pat him dry, dont rub. Give it a try. If it gets any worse I would bring him in for a scraping or try benadryl. Course of things you can try so try the bath and go from there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks too all you guys who have replied, it looks like it is scabbing up a bit, and I use an oatmeal spray on him daily, but I will try the oatmeanl bath concept and see what happens... Also Diesel, no it is his front left "arm pit" area.... But it doesnt seem too be anywhere--else just there....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The hair looks really thin overall, not just where he's scratching. I've been told that thin hair is a sign of demodex mange, but I've never experienced it personally so I wouldn't assume it is. If its not an external parasite, it could be something in the environment making him itch (fabric softener, dust, heat on in the house drying out his skin, etc). I would have a vet do a thorough exam and maybe a skin scrape to rule out parasites so you're not just spinning your wheels. Then go from there. Rule out parasites, environmental, and dietary.
I see what you mean, it does look a little thin around there, but the pic does no justice, he has a very, very wild coat, where he has a black stripe running down his back and then its like brown/gray/orange/ and he has white on his chest and like a chain around his neck, but overall, under his pits and getting towards his belly area the hair does seem a bit thin....

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
No it does not look like mange. It looks like a scratch that he has been messing with, under the arm dirt can get stuck and with body heat cause a little rash like that from time to time. Nothing to worry about I would just leave it alone and in about a week it should go away. Now if it gets worse it could be the start of an allergy and if that is the case write back in another thread or check out the sticky thread in this section called Tempest's allergy diary.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Diesel and Daisy both get that.. i just treat it w/ Neosporin and it goes away in a couple days

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
What causes the raised fur? Sorry not trying to hijack the thread.
With my pup the raised hair was mange. looked kinda like a shelf on his head and his arms. My poor pup! he had sen about 4 different vets over his life and nine noticed until I got a another opinion for something else and he state treating for mange. Amazing how it's already helped, along with the oatmeal baths. For me anyway...

·
Registered
546 Posts
I know I state this for everything...but I really think fish flex cures everything. My white dog Lily has had lots of issues with thinning fur and allergies and the "shelf" thing mentioned... and fish flex always cures her. Maybe twice we've had to get frontline but fish flex is like a magic formula created by the gods to save owners money going to the vet o__O

1 - 14 of 14 Posts