Go Pitbull Forums banner

Xbox 360 or PS3???

Tags
360 ps3 xbox
4K views 59 replies 16 participants last post by  Khaleesi 
#1 ·
So in my midlife crisis I have decided to relive my younger days and buy a game console...lol I've read soo many reviews on both and I think 360 has a slight edge right now as far as gaming goes. You guys got any input on this to help me seal the deal here?

Btw...online gaming is a must as my competitve self loves to kick some real people tail and brag about it too lol ;)

Thanks in advance

#3 ·
Thanks Smiggs, that's all I've been seeing in reviews.

I don't really care much for the freebies..I just want the stuff to work to its full potential.

I already have BD players for movies so that's not a deciding factor for me.

#5 ·
huge hdd, run linux and its like another computer, & military used 20+ ps3 for its HDD service.

I went on a vacation for 2 weeks, and forgot to turn off my ps3, and left it on for 2 weeks, and it still works like a champ. Not to mention its exterior is much classy. Rather than a bulky cartoony looking xbox.

#6 ·
woops i miss calculated its not 20, more like 2200

Military purchases 2,200 PS3s
Posted: 11:14 AM ET
It seems generous grandmothers aren't the only ones purchasing PlayStation 3 (PS3) consoles this holiday season. The U.S. Dept. of Defense has announced plans to buy an additional 2,200 PS3s to complement a military supercomputer cluster running on 336 PS3 systems.

The military purchase was likely encouraged by Sony's recent PS3 price cut, which brought the price of a single console down to $299.

A military justification of review document explains the decision:

Though a single 3.2 GHz cell processor can deliver over 200 GFLOPS, whereas the Sony PS3 configuration delivers approximately 150 GFLOPS, the approximately tenfold cost difference per GFLOP makes the Sony PS3 the only viable technology for HPC applications.

According to Ars Technica, Sony sells the PS3 at a loss and hopes to make back the difference by selling games and accessories.

The reason that the PS3 is a more cost-effective way to buy Cell-powered GFLOPS than, say, the Cell blades that IBM actually makes specifically for supercomputing applications, is that the consoles come with a big, fat subsidy from Sony.

However, the military isn't likely to purchase any games for these PlayStations. The justification review states the systems will run a proprietary Linux-based operating system, which probably won't be able to play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.
http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2009/12/09/military-purchases-2200-ps3s/

#7 ·
science.....
Gaming's goodwill processor--the one inside the PlayStation 3--has proved once again that it's around for more than just kicking butt in Grand Theft Auto. We've seen the system help fight cancer with protein-folding research and CT tumor scans. And now the same technology that, on a small scale, helps the careening cars in GTA IV skid, flip and crash like real ones is helping scientists on a much larger scale.

digg
Researchers at the Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) in New Mexico have used microprocessors developed for the PS3 to power the fastest supercomputer on earth, the Roadrunner. This new extreme machine will help to model the world's physical reactions in the face of extremely complex, multivariate situations--like the future of changing weather patterns or radioactive fallout simulations.

LANL brass, like other supercomputer researchers across the country, have been looking to amp up aging extreme machines. They recognized that the PS3's powerhouse microchip core, the Cell, had computational power that could make their own virtual calculations both faster and "smarter"--a term used to describe a computer's ability to handle multiple problems at once.

The PS3 Cell speeds up the gaming system's ability to assimilate virtual situations based on player choices; essentially it makes a player's screen behave more like the real world. The Cell does this by breaking up information and processing problems among eight simple processing elements (SPEs), each of which simultaneously perform computations while retrieving and sending data. So the SPEs function like team members splitting up tasks in an organized, self-sufficient manner--where other, slower processors function more like a single unit.

Programmers at LANL first worked with IBM to tweak the Cell in 2007, and have now fully integrated it into Roadrunner. LANL announced today that it has broken supercomputer speed records by performing 1.026 quadrillion calculations per second (in computing language, 10^15 calculations per second, a long coveted goal, is known as a petaflop). That's more than twice as many as the world's previous fastest supercomputer at Livermore National Laboratory California.

The Roadrunner will be used to model climate-change problems before moving into classified research for the military that will test the effects of nuclear weaponry, potentially replacing dangerous real-world testing applications with virtual ones.

Sony's PS3 has taken a lot of flack over the past couple of years. We know this development won't drive console sales, but with this information in mind current PS3 owners may find new respect for the mini-supercomputer sitting inconspicuously in their living room.

Read more: How the PS3 Helped Build the World's Fastest Supercomputer - Popular Mechanics

#8 ·
Physics.......
Astrophysicist Replaces Supercomputer with Eight PlayStation 3s
By Bryan Gardiner 10.17.07

Gaurav Khanna's eight PlayStation 3s aren't running Heavenly Sword -- they're using Linux plus custom code to solve complex computations.
Photo: Courtesy of Gaurav Khanna
Suffering from its exorbitant price point and a dearth of titles, Sony's PlayStation 3 isn't exactly the most popular gaming platform on the block. But while the console flounders in the commercial space, the PS3 may be finding a new calling in the realm of science and research.
Right now, a cluster of eight interlinked PS3s is busy solving a celestial mystery involving gravitational waves and what happens when a super-massive black hole, about a million times the mass of our own sun, swallows up a star.
As the architect of this research, Dr. Gaurav Khanna is employing his so-called "gravity grid" of PS3s to help measure these theoretical gravity waves -- ripples in space-time that travel at the speed of light -- that Einstein's Theory of Relativity predicted would emerge when such an event takes place.
It turns out that the PS3 is ideal for doing precisely the kind of heavy computational lifting Khanna requires for his project, and the fact that it's a relatively open platform makes programming scientific applications feasible.
"The interest in the PS3 really was for two main reasons," explains Khanna, an assistant professor at the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth who specializes in computational astrophysics. "One of those is that Sony did this remarkable thing of making the PS3 an open platform, so you can in fact run Linux on it and it doesn't control what you do."
He also says that the console's Cell processor, co-developed by Sony, IBM and Toshiba, can deliver massive amounts of power, comparable even to that of a supercomputer -- if you know how to optimize code and have a few extra consoles lying around that you can string together.
"The PS3/Linux combination offers a very attractive cost-performance solution whether the PS3s are distributed (like Sony and Stanford's Folding@home initiative) or clustered together (like Khanna's), says Sony's senior development manager of research and development, Noam Rimon.
According to Rimon, the Cell processor was designed as a parallel processing device, so he's not all that surprised the research community has embraced it. "It has a general purpose processor, as well as eight additional processing cores, each of which has two processing pipelines and can process multiple numbers, all at the same time," Rimon says.
This is precisely what Khanna needed. Prior to obtaining his PS3s, Khanna relied on grants from the National Science Foundation (NSF) to use various supercomputing sites spread across the United States "Typically I'd use a couple hundred processors -- going up to 500 -- to do these same types of things."
However, each of those supercomputer runs cost Khanna as much as $5,000 in grant money. Eight 60 GB PS3s would cost just $3,200, by contrast, but Khanna figured he would have a hard time convincing the NSF to give him a grant to buy game consoles, even if the overall price tag was lower. So after tweaking his code this past summer so that it could take advantage of the Cell's unique architecture, Khanna set about petitioning Sony for some help in the form of free PS3s.
"Once I was able to get to the point that I had this kind of performance from a single PS3, I think that's when Sony started paying attention," Khanna says of his optimized code.
Khanna says that his gravity grid has been up and running for a little over a month now and that, crudely speaking, his eight consoles are equal to about 200 of the supercomputing nodes he used to rely on.
"Basically, it's almost like a replacement," he says. "I don't have to use that supercomputer anymore, which is a good thing."
"For the same amount of money -- well, I didn't pay for it, but even if you look into the amount of funding that would go into buying something like eight PS3s -- for the same amount of money I can do these runs indefinitely."
The point of the simulations Khanna and his team at UMass are running on the cluster is to see if gravitational waves, which have been postulated for almost 100 years but have never been observed, are strong enough that we could actually observe them one day. Indeed, with NASA and other agencies building some very big gravitational wave observatories with the sensitivity to be able to detect these waves, Khanna's sees his work as complementary to such endeavors.
Khanna expects to publish the results of his research in the next few months. So while PS3 owners continue to wait for a fuller range of PS3 titles and low prices, at least they'll have some reading material to pass the time.

#10 ·
Good info! Might have me sold on ps3 now...I did notice a ton of used xbox's at gamestop yesterday. Gotta be a reason for that...hmmmmmm...

#11 ·
Can't you use any external hard drive on the ps3...like you would for a laptop with a usb?

#13 · (Edited)
Yeah I swapped out to a 250gb drive on my ps3 when my friends and I started movie sharing... Norhing external though i bought and replaced. Xbox remote is HUGE To me but I am sure u could get used to it I just went back and fourth and could kill way more people on ps3 so I blame the remote not the Xbox console lol

#12 ·
you can on the xbox, but only up to 32gb ... i used to be a PS guy.. i'm all Xbox now.. there is a reason online gaming isnt free, its that much better .. got any kids? Kinect is awesome for that.. we have one, but no kids... its great for when we have company over and nothing to do

#17 ·
Yuup...got 2 kids and the 2 reasons that had me thinking xbox was the kinect for them and online service I "heard" is way better than the free PS3 online gaming.

Any truth to that guys? I heard about 6months ago that the ps3 server got hacked and a bunch of consoles got viruses.

#16 ·
i dunno.. the way the xbox controller is designed/layed out.. it just fits w/ the form of the hand... cant say the same about PS .. and to say the PS is waaayyy better because of the controllers is retarded.. lol

oh yea.. if you D/L movies.. better hope its not Cineva protected, you wont be able to watch it on your PS ..:D

#18 ·
nah the consoles didnt get viruses but we were down a couple months with no online play. Hopefully its all fixed now. I just cant justify paying for online gaming while this one if free and works just fine , other then that one hiccup we havent had issues with ours in over 10 years.

#19 ·
dont forget to add that many peoples credit card info was stolen because Sony didnt feel the need to encrypt their data.. just a little something to add.. :D ..

plus Kinect is soo much better than Move .. no controllers means no controllers thrown into the TV.. lol.. i'm sure you've seen the Wii videos..

#21 ·
plus Kinect is soo much better than Move .. no controllers means no controllers thrown into the TV.. lol.. i'm sure you've seen the Wii videos..
This is definitely a plus! My kids are some SPARKPLUGS...LOL

I do have more friends on PS3 and I do believe the processor is way better on PS3 but I'm still in limbo...feels like every time I blink I change my mind..

Back when I had the ORIGINAL xbox I did feel the games reaponded better than on the old ps2.

#20 ·
found this online

1. psn has no mic chat or private chat ..you cannot talk to people on your freindslist or anybody with voice you can only text or w.e you want to call it

2. people say that Psn is free haha xbl suck you pay for it apart from the internet you are already paying for .. okay let me break it down
ps3 did not give a damn when they made psn free because 1st of all they know that to play online 1. you will need a moderm that might cost about 60 to 200 dollers apart from what you are paying for your internet to get online and yet the communications with other players suck and if you live in the city most wifi sources are blocked or the may not work properly and basicly suck

3.the xbox menu is so eazy to navigate even my 6 year old sister know how to use it properly and they have that thing if you get a gift card or credit card you pay 1 doller for live so 12 dollers a year

4. i have the xbox 360 slim and it has wifi and it is the best but i am with time warner they gave me a router so i didnt pay but notice to use that connection i had to take it from the internet that i am already paying for .. same with the playstation 3

5. might sound dum but the ps3 headset sucks for some reason when you hear people in the game chat ( the only time you can comunicate with people ) they sound like robot lol i do not know why

6. last but not least xbox may not have web browser well it does but you have to get it from media center and the web has no sound dont know why but all i am happy for is that they said they will be putting you tube on the xbox it will be an update

#22 ·
PSN has mic chat and you can group chat with people on your list if you want, we usually just chat in the game. And credit cards I never use on anything online, you can buy PS3 cards at walmart or best buy or places like that.

#23 ·
and I dont know why you think they sound like a robot lol, maybe they had voice mod on? I can hear people just fine , and its a wireless headset we play with our blue tooth head sets.

#24 ·
thats just something i found online.. not from personal experience .. my buddy has PSN, i have Live.. i played Black Ops at his house and its just not as smooth as Live.. even he says so

#25 ·
To each their own I have not had those problems with the mic either. I have a wii so I never got move. Can't speak on that. But I do know you will have fun no matter what you choose lol.

ceelint you just have big hands since the remote fits hahaha kids are funny watching hem hold those in the laps and still try and use it lol

#27 ·
Hehehehehehe I could not resist

#28 ·
the wii is fun though , the kids are on that right now I find they like the wii better then any other consol so if for the kids may want to consider that as well, of course depends on the games they like. MW or COD stuff like that you need xbox or ps3.

#29 ·
Ohh noo the kids are gonna have to adapt to what I'm gonna play ;) lol

Ill get my daughter a dancing game or something...but my son is playing with me hehe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.