Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yee haw! world war 3 broke out!
So I have a large kennel for those that do not know and I do have a few dogs able live together in peace out in the dog runs but everyone else is separate. They are never left alone when I leave the house I separate them but I do have one pair that have always been he exception till now. Both dogs are "petbulls" and are 8 years old and have always been able to be together. They have occasionally had a tift or two but nothing big. Trinity is my semi retired competition Obed dog and demo dog. I use to use her when I taught class and need a demo dog, she would just hold a down stay in the middle of the room till I needed her. She has always been a quirky dog and a little bit of a nerd but since she started to get sick she has been acting real mental, not HA just a little off. She has thyroid issues but recently we think she has cancer somewhere we have not found. She just looks sick and despite all the tests we have done we have not pin pointed anything yet. Then there is Rage, she too is a rescue and just the sweetest dog in the world. I got her as a pup and raised her just like anything other dog and wanted to do agility with her. when she hit about 9 months everything in the world scared her and I tried to work her out of it but it never worked. She is happy to stay at home but really scared to go off our property. So she just stays home and we enjoy her. So these guys have always been pretty good but lately Trinity has been more aggressive with her and pushing her around. They got into a tift a few weeks ago but one that stopped as soon as I yelled at them, again they are not really serious. Well Tempest and Weitzen are in the run across from them and I asked my husband to rotate dogs before he left. Tempest and Weitzen hate Trin and Rage so they were barking at them and getting them all crazy. Trinity turned around and attacked Rage. Now for some reason every dog in my house (now including Trin) hates poor baby Rage. Rage never starts a fight but she sure does finish them. Rage whooped Trinity and my husband ran into the run with a rake (it was closer than the break sticks) and as soon as he ran in there they stopped and hid in the dog house..... together..... lol Trinity has about a 3 inch cut along her cheek that we stapled back up and Rage is pretty much untouched.

I give this long story for those that think their dogs will always get along. So after 8 years I think I am going to separate them. What normally happens is when you reach a certain age and an old house dog passes away you get to move in the main house and out of the kennels. Well I think Rage is coming in early, I just do not want to run the risk of them getting into it again it's not fair for them to get tore up.

Leonard suggested putting Trinity down since she is slowly losing her mind but she has been a good working dog and my heart cannot put her down just because she is a little nuts! She is safe with people and I still do compete with her in Rally, just 2 months ago she won second place in advanced rally in UKC. So we will just separate them, I have pictures of the cut and after we stapled it, man it is gnarly! lol

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Trinity had a collar on made by Nizmo's K9 Supply and I think it saved her from more damage. Good thing these guys were not gamebred or I could have had a dead dog.

Trinity just after it happened

Cleaned out, you can see how big it was

All stapled up

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I hear you Lisa .. Bogart is really starting to test AVA the older he gets I just have this feeling it's going to happen soon they are going to thump hard. He is extremely dominate over her he will bite her by the cheeks and ears and literally try and drag her by her skin. I just know it won't be much longer before I will need to separate them. The older Bogart gets the more aggressive he is becoming.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
PS Lisa what type of staple gun do you use I am assuming it's a medical one? I need to grab one. I have used surgical glue to close a small wound but I need a staple gun. Which one do you recommend?

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Ouch-
Nice job closing it.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It just sucks I need to separate them, they probably could be out int the runs again because they do not hold a grudge but I do not want them to tear each other up again. Darn it Trin!! lol

Actually the ones who are in trouble are Weitzen and Tempest. I am putting E collars on both of them next time they go out, the first time they start crap they are TOAST!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PS Lisa what type of staple gun do you use I am assuming it's a medical one? I need to grab one. I have used surgical glue to close a small wound but I need a staple gun. Which one do you recommend?
There are different types and if you do a search for skin staplers on Ebay you will see a bunch. Get the wider ones not the tiny one. The smaller ones are too hard to get into the dogs. Just make sure the leave the bottom stitch out so the wound can drain properly and make sure to get a staple remover.

Veterinary Medical First Aid EMT Skin Stapler Wide 35W | eBay

@ Mach0 Thanks ;)

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Awww man :( I saw the pics on FB poor thing. I'm sorry to here this I was thinking those 2 would stay friends forever.
I have been quite worried about this myself since Marley is kinda acting the same way. We have to take Mar in for another X-ray, they think he has a tumor in his chest :( I have been slowly limiting the boys time together but I think they might need to be separated for good. I think that now that Dosia has matured and his DA has set in it will be best for all of us, but if the X-ray shows that it is a tumor and it's on the inside of the ribcage they will not be able to operate and I will have to say goodbye wich is just gunna break me :(

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
I will definatly keep you posted. It's such a big bummer cause he's been in such great shape for an old dog and this was so unexpected. I really don't know what I'll do he was my first kid :(

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
There are different types and if you do a search for skin staplers on Ebay you will see a bunch. Get the wider ones not the tiny one. The smaller ones are too hard to get into the dogs. Just make sure the leave the bottom stitch out so the wound can drain properly and make sure to get a staple remover.

Veterinary Medical First Aid EMT Skin Stapler Wide 35W | eBay

@ Mach0 Thanks ;)
Lisa Thanks A lot .. I am buying it now wow that's pretty cheap but a must! Sorry about the accident but I am glad you shared your exp with the forum. Especially for those who believe these dogs can't turn on at anytime for any reason. It happens and it's good that people can learn from these posts. Good luck with the dogs it sucks to separate them but you know better than anyone it's for the best.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Man, that really sucks! and @KG-- sending prayers your way for Marley!

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Lisa, how do you actually do the stapling? I mean is there some type of "numbing" done to the cheek first, or do you just start stapling and the pain is tolerated? Oh yeah, I officially love Rage, so she has at least someone else who doesn't hate her :) It's ironic because I just witnessed two labs get into eachother and could tell that the one was definitely trying to dominate the other. The owner said pretty much the same thing, that this never really happens between them. I guess ALL dogs can have this occur between them. In this case, jealousy was the primer the ignited the labs.

P.S. Krystal, I will be thinking of Marley, and I know what you are feeling too well:(

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
poor trinity :( props on closing it up!

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
poor pups! and ouch! Looked painful! What a good pup though posing for pics while you clean it up!! lol

Never need examples of why these dogs should be separated, but always good to hear again to reinforce those who think they can.

Here is another example, poor pup and these people just get rid of one instead of crate and rotate or never leaving them alone... Adopt a Pet :: PUMPKIN PIE - Arlington, VA - American Pit Bull Terrier Mix

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I let Trin out to potty and check on her and she is fine, the Rage went out to potty and she has a few punctures but nothing bad. She has a good one on her leg so she is hobbling around, poor baby Rage... BTW I do not feel sorry for Trin she got what she deserved!
I was putting Trin in her crate and noticed my Weitzen holding her leg up in her crate and I guess in all the excitement Tempest must have nailed her in the leg. She has a puncture in her paw and all of them are on crate rest now.... stupid shepherd she always starts havoc!!

@ Christan, no we do not numb them up for staples it just pinches and not comfortable but nothing that needs to be numbed up. Many times when I was a tech we just stapled the dogs with out any meds as long as we could clean it out good without sedation. Some types of tears need to be sutured but this could just be stapled. You just put the two ends together an staple ;) it takes a bit more technique than that and I do not advice the novice to try it. You have to know what can and cannot be stapled. No punctures or muscle tears or over joints. But a good tear like she had is fine for staples, the most important thing is cleaning it out good before you put them in. I just realized my supplies are low so I need to stock up.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
If it's a bad enough wound I also use antibiotics to keep it from getting infected. When bogart had a open wound similar to the one Lisa posted pics of. I used surgical vet glue, made sure to clean and disinfect the wound thoroughly and then closed it. The problem is if you don't clean it well or it gets infected it will abscess which is an even bigger problem which is why if it's a deep enough wound and not just a little scrap I use cephalexin for a week to prevent infection. That's just me it really depends on the wound though over use of antibiotics is not good either. You really have to be a good judge in Bogart's case the wound was deep enough where antibiotics were needed.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Nice job with the tidy up!, pretty standard facial cut and due to a swift reaction its great thats all you had to deal with. I feel you on that older dog and i couldnt put it down when its still doing well crazy or not!

And great work by making the thread too! Some people are afraid to admit when they have a yard scrap but it happens too everyone and sometimes just cant be avoided, showing that it happens to even the most experienced handler help show the newcomers to the breed to allways be ready for the worst and expect it to happen as to not get lax.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts