Go Pitbull Forums banner

yard treatment

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jttar 
#1 ·
hi guys!
never had a flea problem before. but this spring i had a family of racoons take up residence under my patio deck. i live in a wooded area so there is alot of wildlife. bear. deer. coyote. even the occasional mountain lion.
so i'm working on evicting the racoons. and i have started the indoor treatment. but i'm interested in the most effective way to treat my yard. i have 1/4 acre. grass. fruit trees. alot of bamboo around the pool area. 2 giant oak trees.
what spray treatment do you recommend?
how about diatomeceous earth?
combination of methods?
i already have him on Advantix but i keep finding 1 or 2 fleas on him every few days. any advice would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I've heard good things about Diatomeceous Earth and it won't hurt anything else in the yard, Gotti included. The ex used some kind of spray but idk what it was and sorry Jo but I ain't askin either LOL.

As you prob already know the blue Dawn dish soap bath should clear the fleas off him. I haven't had flea problems but we have bad tick probs up here. Even on the Bravecto I find one on a dog relatively regularly. Its gross so good luck!

#4 ·
ew. yah ticks are gross! we don't have the humidity they like. but we do see them a little in July-Aug. i have also read alot of positive reviews on DE. i will let you know how it goes.

Hey Jo! Found THIS article that includes a few different dog friendly methods of controlling fleas, tics, mosquitos etc.

When the mosquitos get bad here preventing me from using the pool I get up early in the morning let the dogs out and put them back in the house. Then I hook one of THESE to my garden hose and water everywhere, trees, bushes, grass, sidewalks, even my house. I don't let the dogs back out till everything is dry, usually a couple of hours.

I like the idea of using lavender scents to persuade the tics to live elsewhere but in all honesty, I want to kill as many mosquito and tics as possible.

With you having bear, deer, coyote and mountain lion's to deal with what do you protect you and Gotti Boi with? Knowing CA's view of gun control do you keep a bag of rocks and some pointed sticks on hand, LOL. Just bustin' em my friend.
thanks Joe. yah i like repellents also. i'm gonna try that mosquito spray and see if it helps. i scored a big bag of DE today at Lowe's. i'm gonna dust the perimeter and the lawn after everything dries.

for protection, i normally rely on harsh language and crossed fingers. CA has a ban on sticks and stones. LOL
we don't hike as much as we used to. but i hold ccw permit. and always take pepper spray too. basically millions of Californians hate me and blame me for every lunatic on the news. ... but i sleep like a baby.

#3 · (Edited)
Hey Jo! Found THIS article that includes a few different dog friendly methods of controlling fleas, tics, mosquitos etc.

When the mosquitos get bad here preventing me from using the pool I get up early in the morning let the dogs out and put them back in the house. Then I hook one of THESE to my garden hose and water everywhere, trees, bushes, grass, sidewalks, even my house. I don't let the dogs back out till everything is dry, usually a couple of hours.

I like the idea of using lavender scents to persuade the tics to live elsewhere but in all honesty, I want to kill as many mosquito and tics as possible.

With you having bear, deer, coyote and mountain lion's to deal with what do you protect you and Gotti Boi with? Knowing CA's view of gun control do you keep a bag of rocks and some pointed sticks on hand, LOL. Just bustin' em my friend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.