Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most know, Athena is a blue Bully. As she's gotten older, 6 months last week, we've noticed her coat has reddish brown in it. She still looks very much predominantly blue, but it is very noticeable, especially in sunlight. Is this what I've read would be considered a blue -brindle? Is it nothing and just normal with blues? Don't care either way other than my continuing quest to educate myself on this great dog. Thanks in advance. I'd post close up pics but the wife's camera is broke. :( And SLR's sure ain't cheap to fix!!!

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
My blue gets this also. My all black gets a brown frosted look in the sun also. That is not any brindle. You'd know you had a blue brindle if you had one.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My blue gets this also. My all black gets a brown frosted look in the sun also. That is not any brindle. You'd know you had a blue brindle if you had one.
OK, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Colors are prone to fading. Especially if the dog spends time in the sun. It's a combo of genetics, environment and even diet. I have heard you can give kelp powder to keep colors dark. So I assume it could be a dietary deficiency.

·
Registered
859 Posts
yea my blue dog has that as well and she loves laying in the sun! So it may be a sunburned type thing :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Its pretty typical of blue dogs to have that fawnish look it almost looks like its trying to come through from underneath the blue.

With seal coloured dogs[the dark blue name for gamebred] it shows up often.
Remember blue is realy a dilution of the black gene so it does make sense that it will show up more often than it wont. Nothing to worry about i dont think itl get any worse just you will notice it in direct sun because you know its there.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Roxie is black, but has noticeable brown in the sun ...

Example:

Her inside the house (sorry, only good photo I have of her side inside the house)...

Her outside in the sun ...

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its pretty typical of blue dogs to have that fawnish look it almost looks like its trying to come through from underneath the blue.
With seal coloured dogs[the dark blue name for gamebred] it shows up often.
Remember blue is realy a dilution of the black gene so it does make sense that it will show up more often than it wont. Nothing to worry about i dont think itl get any worse just you will notice it in direct sun because you know its there.
Yep, that's exactly what it looks like. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lux was blue with a ton of Fawn coloring in his coat. You can see it pretty well in this photo.

That's kind of what it looks like except not as extreme. Great looking dog BTW!

You can sort of tell in this pic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
my old junior used to get this.. i got this shampoo for black show dogs, it had a black lab on it from petsmart actually helped quite a bit!

·
Super Moderator
4,564 Posts
Ecko shines brown in the sun too. I think it's cool. What color is he going to look today? LOL!! dog of a different color. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts