Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[/SIZE]I am not a pitt owner per say, however, my daughter and her fiance' are currently living with us and they have a pittbull, so I have one in my home. As a child I had family members that had pittbulls but they were always chained up and I was not allowed to go near them. My cousins, however, were allowed to feed and water them. The dogs seemed to love them and I always thought how sad it was that their lives were so confined, they were never taken off the chains not even for walks, really what was the point of owning them I always wondered. I have always been a little scared of pittbulls and I know that because of the bad reputation they have owning them can prove t.o be a hardship, especially when you are a renter and not a home owner. So when my daughter (while in her senior year of high school) and her boyfriend (now fiance') decided to adopt a pittbull from an animal shelter my husband and I did not approve. The dog had to live at her boyfriend's house, he visited our home on a couple of occasions and was well behaved with our Jack Russell and Siberian Husky. So life went on, after she graduated high school we moved to another state (we have a military life) and she stayed behind, moving in with her boyfriend. In the following year they experienced many hardships and ended up having to move in with us. My hubby was extremely unhappy about the dog coming to stay with us, but knowing how much our daughter loves her son, whose name is Beauregard but we call him Beaux, he couldn't bring himself to tell her that Beaux could not come with her. They have been here for almost a year now and hubby has become quite attached to Beaux as have I. I call him my grand dog. Now having said that Beaux came to live with us during a really hard time, we had just lost our husky, she was 12 years old and had kidney failure. Even though I vowed to never love another dog as much as I loved her, Beaux managed to find his way into my heart, but I don't allow myself to love him too much because I know one day when my daughter and her fiance' spread their wings and move out on their own he will go with them. He is very loving with all of us, there are two younger children, 11 and 12 in our home as well. He lets my youngest dress him up in her clothes and he sometimes sleeps with the two younger ones in their beds. My husband has even allowed him to get in our bed at night. We do not take him on walks during the day, he is dog aggressive. We try to take him later at night, when our neighborhood is pretty quiet and no one is out walking their dogs. We have a large fenced in back yard as well, he has plenty of room to play. He is not aggressive with our Jack Russell or the dog directly to our right, however there are four chows in the yard directly to our left and they always bark and growl at the fence which in turn makes him aggressive. We just never know which dogs he will be aggressive with and which ones he won't, that's why we walk him at night. He is great with my younger ones friends that come in to play, except that he gets so excited to see them that he "happy" pees and gets a little too rowdy. He and the Jack Russell always rush the door when the door bell rings with barking, he didn't do that until he got here, the Jack Russell has been a bad influence. I have never been able to break her of that. I do have to admit that even though I have become very comfortable with Beaux, I still respect the fact that he is a very powerful dog and I am still weary of not knowing how he could react to things sometimes. I don't know if I would be comfortable with other pittbulls either. It is in their nature to be aggressive and I can't be sure all owners are responsible with their pitts. I decided to join this forum because I don't know alot about the breed and I thought it would be a great way to educate myself and get to know other lovers of the breed. So that's my story! :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Welcome , deff lots to learn here. would love to see pics of Beaux and your JRT :)

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Well for one its "Pit Bull" not "Pittbull". This is also a generic term that can include American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier, etc. However there is only one "Pit Bull" and thats the American Pit Bull Terrier. There are also new "names" for those that have APBT bloodlines however are bred as pets from BYB's or other means and thats "Pet Bull". These dogs lack the drive and the will the APBT's have, in short.

But not to sound all negative welcome and hope you stay. This is a very diverse community that holds all sorts of dogs and owners. Working dog, Pet dog, Show dog, Agility folk etc are all under one roof in essence.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oops, sorry for getting the spelling wrong. Beaux was adopted from a shelter so we are not certain what his bloodlines are, but looking at most Pit Bull pics, I can say he is taller and leaner than most I've seen. He's not short and stocky with lots of muscles. I will try to post pics of him. He's reddish/blond with a few small white spots. His ears aren't cropped, which I prefer I think cropping the ears makes them look more intimidating and his tail isn't cropped. He is a very handsome boy though! He is not a working dog or show dog, so I guess under your terms he would be considered a pet, but we love him as a member of the family.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
oops, sorry for getting the spelling wrong. Beaux was adopted from a shelter so we are not certain what his bloodlines are, but looking at most Pit Bull pics, I can say he is taller and leaner than most I've seen. He's not short and stocky with lots of muscles. I will try to post pics of him. He's reddish/blond with a few small white spots. His ears aren't cropped, which I prefer I think cropping the ears makes them look more intimidating and his tail isn't cropped. He is a very handsome boy though! He is not a working dog or show dog, so I guess under your terms he would be considered a pet, but we love him as a member of the family.
Thats the important thing, love him regardless. A name is a name, doesn't change the fact you have him for a reason. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tried a few times to upload pics to an album and then found a thread in the support forum saying the photo albums aren't working. Tried to insert them in the pics forum but the pics have to be connected to a url. So until the photo albums are working again I won't be able to upload pics. I did however upload a pic of Beaux to my profile pic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts