Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8 months ago, you all celebrated the adoption of our WGSD Caesar with us.
Yesterday he left us.
We took Caesar in for his checkup and thought it was going to go wonderfully. He was playful, happy, energetic, and had an appetite that could only be described as voracious. But when the vet did his physical, she felt that his spleen was enlarged. So they did an ultrasound. Caesar had a large tumor on his spleen, that upon closer inspection looked to be Hemangiocarcoma.
There was also a lot of fluid in his abdominal cavity, which seemed to be coming from his spleen. After discussing it with Dr. Wisdom, and searching our hearts, we decided that the best course of action was to let Caesar go peacefully. We spent a long time, hugging him, holding him, and saying goodbye, and Josh went with him to the room where they sedated him and then put him to sleep.
This decision was not taken lightly, but completely blindsided us. Caesar was older, we knew this, but he was so VITAL. The vet said that the way this cancer is though, that she would give him days, not weeks or months without surgery, and at his age, she was afraid the surgery would not be successful.

Since I shared his adoption with you all, I wanted to let you know he had passed. We're expecting his ashes back in about 2 weeks.

RIP sweet boy
1/22/05- 3/9/12

·
Super Moderator
4,587 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.
Cesar was a lucky boy to have found you and lived happily until the end of his days.
Your family is in my heart and prayers.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
So sorry girl you know we are sending good vibes your way.

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We feel lucky to have had him in our lives. It just feels like a 100 pound hole in inside of me. I miss him so much. He was a good dog. Thank you EckoMac

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Tough decision but i'm sure in the end you did what you felt in your heart was the best thing for him.. Though i'm a bit confused, if i may..

Reading your post i would have thought him to be in the age bracket of 10+ years, 1/22/05- 3/9/12 would only put him at a little over 7 which isn't that old, granted not YOUNG but.. Why did you and the vet feel this was a critical age? I can understand the stress and where this was located especially, why the emphasis on the age of 7 is a bit odd to me though.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Sorry for your loss. He was a handsome fella.

RIP Caesar :(

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tough decision but i'm sure in the end you did what you felt in your heart was the best thing for him.. Though i'm a bit confused, if i may..

Reading your post i would have thought him to be in the age bracket of 10+ years, 1/22/05- 3/9/12 would only put him at a little over 7 which isn't that old, granted not YOUNG but.. Why did you and the vet feel this was a critical age? I can understand the stress and where this was located especially, why the emphasis on the age of 7 is a bit odd to me though.
The vet said that GSD's are considered geriatric at age 7, and that, coupled with the wear on his body from a history of neglect...well, his body was older than his numerical age. :(

My heart aches for you, rest in peace handsome Caesar.
Thank you

Sorry for your loss. He was a handsome fella.

RIP Caesar :(
Thank you

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
So sorry for your loss :( That picture of him is perfect....looks like he is in the "light". RIP sweet boy.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
The vet said that GSD's are considered geriatric at age 7, and that, coupled with the wear on his body from a history of neglect...well, his body was older than his numerical age. :(
Neglected history may explain it more, each dog is different and i don't like how vets group each breed as one when involving solutions.. Though, it does sound like you made an educated and thoughtful decision so don't take my thoughts as insulting or stirring up any nonsense. I'll leave it at that, however, thank you for clarifying..

RIP

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
HUGS & PRAYERS! I'm so sorry for your loss, but glad you were blessed to have each other...Run free sweet angel!

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh no, I should have been more clear. My mind is a mess right now.
He was very badly neglected when he was younger, and was confiscated from his first owner in bad shape, very near death. I tried hard to make sure he got nothing but the best when he was with us. I think we made the last few months of his life great.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Im so sorry :( RIP Caesar

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I am so sorry. RIP ;(

·
Gotta Love Them Red Dogs!
487 Posts
I am so sorry about your loss;
I'm sure he appreciated his final 8 months being with you

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
My condolences to you and your family during this hard time. I'm very sorry for your loss, and I send good vibes your way, as well as thoughts and prayers Caesar's way so that he may run free at the bridge, playing with all our lost family members. I know my Debo and Axil will look after him up there.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Sorry for your loss :( RIP CAESAR

1 - 20 of 23 Posts