Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so for the next few months we have my 3 year old nephew Jayden over on weekends. It's really frustrating sometimes because Oreo is constantly jumping on him and trying to take his food out of his hands. Oreo is really good with babies, but anyone who is his size or bigger, he thinks it's okay to be rough with. We've finally gotten my nephew to play with Oreo, and Oreo really loves my nephew. He does the typical stuff he does with us. He gives him kisses when he wakes up the morning, he snuggles up to him when he gets tired.

but here's my question:How can we teach him not to be so rough?

It's good that he plays with my nephew, but he keeps jumping on him and that never ends good. We're at the point where this is okay

but we have to get Oreo not to jump/step on him and leave his food alone.

Any advice?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has any advice?

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Keep him leashed around the child until he learns manners. To teach him these manners he needs basic obedience and then have him around children. I have 12 dogs and 2 girls ages 2 and 7. Both born and raised with these dogs.

He should know sit, stay, and down that least.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Keep him leashed around the child until he learns manners. To teach him these manners he needs basic obedience and then have him around children. I have 12 dogs and 2 girls ages 2 and 7. Both born and raised with these dogs.

He should know sit, stay, and down that least.
x2 My boys are 2 and 7 both also born and raised with my dogs also. All it takes is time and training. Manners are key.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Dog AND kid manners are important. If you want to stop him from taking food from the boy, put him up when the kid has food. The more he gets rewarded for this behavior, the more he will continue it (and trust me, even if he is punished after taking the food, he is still rewarded)
The keeping him leashed is excellent advice. Mark and reward behaviors you like to see him doing (calm play, laying down, sitting) and eliminate the rewards he gets for poor behavior (to a dog, these rewards might be attention (either positive or negative) or even just the play, play is a huge reinforcer)

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
The 2-year-old has a way with the dogs too. She sees them doing something they aren't supposed to be doing and she corrects them. It's fun to see her take her hands and put one on each side of their face and tell them no or take it easy. She isn't all that big but the dogs know that she's the boss.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well he knows sit, stay, and lay down. The keeping him leashed is a good idea, I'll try that when my nephew comes back over this weekend. & I've tried putting him up when my nephew's eating, but my mom tells me not to do that. That he needs to learn not to bother my nephew while he's eating.

We did have to bring my other dog in when my nephew was here last time, and he was great with my nephew. He was never rough, laid next to my nephew when he was ate, and stayed by my nephew's side most of the time. So I'm hoping that Oreo will pick up Blackie's habits.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts