Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
- The term "Pit Bull" is not a breed within itself but rather a general title given to all those dogs that fit within what the media claims is a "Pit Bull"..
very true KM, but it only matters what the authorities concider your dog to be. there is not many bans on the apbt, only pitbulls.
- These shelters do not temperament test in the way most would like to believe.. Because of this, many shelter dogs or poorly bred BYB's can turn out to have traits.........
if I pull a dog from a shelter, I spend 4 months in my home, work, fishing, church,whatever. I push my fosters to the limit and if thet dont meet my expectations then I make the appt to pts. I refuse to believe that a shelter dog labled as a pitbull mix should ever be considered anything else than what it "looks like" because thats setting up for denying bsl wont kill your dog.
You chose to adopt for your own reasons, which is great however you must keep in mind the knowns and unknowns and divide them as such.. If you wanted to know exactly what went into your dog you shouldn't have adopted..
And thats why we're here to educate. RIGHT?
You adopted a great family pet, nothing more and nothing less..[/
and i wish it were that easy........

Excellent post by the way....:D
I refer to my shelter dog as a pit bull mix, and I am using the term "pit bull" in a generic way. She was listed as a pit bull in the shelter and that was only a guess going by her looks. And, yes, I understand there is no such breed as "pit bull", but it is used as an umbrella term for many of the bully breed types.

When I fill out the paper work for my dogs immunizations, they REQUIRE you to list a breed, they do not accept "MIX" or "mutt" on the form. Therefore somebody has to make a "guess" as to the dog's breed.

My dogs are all mutts, but I can tell you that if BSL came into my area, they would be labeled as "pit bull mixes" at the very least, and mixes are usually always included in BSL. I can't hide the way they look.

· Registered
46 Posts
are yall reading this?? you all need to be paying attention to these words! Its the part about the reason we founded this country slipping away to gov't control. "We the people" and youll better understand those words if you read more of this!!:goodpost::goodpost:

Stafford terrier or Staffordshire terrier would work for you at the vet (at least for the dog in your avatar) and you avoid the "pitbull" word all together.
Do you mean AST or Staffordshire Bull Terrier? Which I believe both would still be targeted by BSL. Last time I vaccinated my dog in avatar I did fill out AST mix, but I'm not sure how much that would really help. I also have 3 other mixes which have what could be construed as "pit bull" type characteristics. I tell the general public that I have mutts but they are going to believe what they want.

HeavyJeep, do you really live in Paradise?

· Registered
46 Posts
I see it this way too. A terrier is a dog used for a certain job, as is a bulldog, a herding dog or scent hound. You call a dog by its function. However I feel it irresponsible for me to call a dog I know is a pit or believe to possibly be pit mix simply a mutt. Pits really need responsible owners to prevent tragedy and more bad press. People need to be aware of what they have, the possibilities and the dos and don'ts. Otherwise when new owner takes their "mutt" to the dog park, because he acts friendly, and a fight breaks out, the other dog gets seriously injured its my fault. They're ignorance is due to me not sharing important information.
:goodpost: :goodpost:

Old_Blood you have made several excellent posts throughout this thread, especially post #83.

I have come to the conclusion that for me, it is best to say pit mix or pit bull mix, depending on who I am talking to. If I am filling out paperwork I can't put down "shelter dog", that just isn't going to fly. I have used the term "AST mix" on occasion.

When you are signing up for a dog training class, they want an "idea" of what breed you are bringing to class not just "shelter dog" or mutt. They want an idea of what you think the dog's predominant breed is. Same thing with the vet's office, vaccination clinics, county licensing agency, etc.

Now I happen to be standing in line getting my dog's vaccinations. There was another lady in line behind me and she asked me what kind of dog I have. I told her "just a mutt'. So it really depends who's asking or what mood I am in.

If I were to say bulldog, then people would think I am talking about the English Bulldog most likely. So that term would not work well for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.